• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

OK Ranchers- What do I do Now?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hayguy

Reaction score
I have about 35 acres that the wind got. Some piles are bigger than the baler, almost like it had been bunch raked.

Any ideas on how to handle this now?

stuff232_zps033bd6b7.jpg
[/URL]

stuff235_zps402b7e7d.jpg

stuff228_zpsd54d453d.jpg
[/URL]L]

I'd be tempted to rake it back to windrows going around what ever looks too big and bale that up. If your baler is green there probably isn't a pile it can't handle :D
Short of that you might need a sweep and make stacks! Must have been quite a wind.

I would rake it. Most of the time if you can get the big bunches under the tractor they will bale. And for the bunches you cant get under the tractor i run over them with the tractor and pack them down and then bale them. Sounds kinda stupid but it works for me. Just dont leave all the bunches until the end bale some good windrows witht he bunches or else you will never make a nice bale.

I've spent a lot of time reraking fields that looked like that- and being thankful it wasn't all hanging off the fence or in the neighbors shelter belt.... :wink:

No matter what, there's gonna be some clutch-riding when you bale that piece.

We had just a little patch like that in the neighbor's field this summer.

Not nice.

We had that happen. We raked it with a V-rake that one of our neighbors so graciously loaned us. After raking it, Mr. FH baled it. He put the loader back on the tractor when he baled the raked hay. Where there were big piles, he took the grapple fork and shook the piles out and then baled it up. He did shake the hay out of the windrow, baled it and then went back to the windrow of raked hay. That worked pretty good.

It sure is sickening to see hay scattered all around like that. :cry:

Good luck!

I wish my hay was dry enough to blow around like that. Just had 2 in of rain my baler will be black once it drys. Just start re raking.

It's official - - - good rain thru July - - - 0.05" in August and 8 days 90F or higher.

Surprising the crops and pasture still look respectable but we could sure use a little moisture!

thank-you all for the replies, it sure is a mess,put my extra wheels back on the rake and will hook onto the round baler today.IT will be a challenge :!: last time it happened the kid's were around and we were about twenty years younger two days of pitchforking got it done.

i wonder if i should get my dump rake guys in and just finish the job and put a wire around it :wink:

my tractors got lots of clearance till you get towards the back, then a low drawbar, it'd drag good hay.

I wire a piece of delta rib tin on, start hi, it ends up under baler hitch a ways.

works good in all sorts of stuff---kinda precompresses.

if it was mine, i'd start baling--would figure out quick which piles it'd eat, bale what I could then deal with the rest.

when did this happen? I ran up to rodeo @ patricia, country looks good!

littlejoe said:
my tractors got lots of clearance till you get towards the back, then a low drawbar, it'd drag good hay.

I wire a piece of delta rib tin on, start hi, it ends up under baler hitch a ways.

works good in all sorts of stuff---kinda precompresses.

if it was mine, i'd start baling--would figure out quick which piles it'd eat, bale what I could then deal with the rest.

when did this happen? I ran up to rodeo @ patricia, country looks good!
a mud flap on the draw bar in front of the pin works good too

Latest posts