• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old Time Values

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tap

Reaction score
I have given a lot of thought over the years about how either political party fits the values of agriculture and rural america. While neither party may be right 100% of the time, it is my opinion that the conservatives, on the right, represent what we need, and has been good for America.

I am very sure that I don't know everything there is to know about my ansestors, but from the things I do know, I think our culture was better off with the values of earlier times. Look at what all things modern have done to the choices kids have to make these days. In my grandparents era there was no rap music, drugs, drive by shootings, etc. for kids to get involved with. Maybe these things were inevitable with the fast pace of our world, but I sure don't think you could call it "progress". I am also for the rights of citizens, but not for poor choices. Being liberal means anything goes, with no consequences. I just heard of a judge giving a criminal a very light sentence because his traumatic childhood outweighed the severity of the crime. What the heck does that have to do with how the victim of the crime was treated by the criminal? We don't need those sort of thinkers in our legal system.

I am trying not to aim this at any one person in particuar (on this board), but it just baffles me how those that want any non-dependancy on our government, can support loonies like Al Gore, Ted Kennedy, and John Kerry? I think they are the sort of thinkers that those who came to the US to start a new country wanted to leave behind. And now some want to run right back to that kind of government.

:???:

Being liberal means anything goes, with no consequences.

No it doesn't.
No more than being conservative means I look out for my own and every one else can fall off the planet for all i care.

And conservatives are just as happy with government handouts as liberals. They simply prefer to call them "subsidies" or "tax breaks".

Tomato, tomahto.

So far as the youth of today:
Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannise their teachers.
--Socrates

Every generation has thought the one following them is sending the world to hell in a handbasket. It has nothing whatsoever to do with political parties, though.

wrong wrong wrong

tax-breaks represent a growth reward for those who produce. example : a company makes 100 million a year, the taxbreak allows him to shelter a portion of the money and then he reinvests that into his company hiring more people, and thus circulating more money, creating jobs, economic growth, and prosperity.

same company with the democratic tax and spend plan, takes more away from the company, and distributes it to porkbarrel projects, abortion clinics, and welfaare queens. while the company, barely able to meet its costs, fires employees, cuts wages, and downsizes, creating unemployment and reccesion.

conservative economic packages work, just need to get the damned dems to tell the truth!

conservative " you earned it, you spend it. go earn more and make America grow!

liberal : you earned it, we taxed it, and we know how to spend your money better than you. go earn more so we can take more

Uh huh...
Big talk from a "conservative" who got nine grand in welfare... :roll:

And considering this (a "conservative" controlled Congress and White House) is the spendiest government we've had in our history, that dog don't hunt, either.

Like other political ideologies, both liberal and conservative have their strong and weak points. But to say one is weaker than the other is ridiculous.
And more importantly, in light of the fact that most people fall in the middle (ie, moderates), it would seem most people can find common ground.

I made this point in another thread, but it bears repeating:
http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=572

most people in this country are tired of the partisanship. (My party/guy is great, yours is bad)

And conservatives are just as happy with government handouts as liberals. They simply prefer to call them "subsidies" or "tax breaks".
Anyone that considers "tax breaks" to be the same thing as "government handouts" is truly an ignorant individual. :???:

I won't name names, but......
confused-smiley-013.gif

theHiredMansWife said:
Uh huh...
Pretty low down, if you ask me. To bring someone's personal business into a new thread. :x Not surprising when we consider the source, however.
confused-smiley-013.gif

I suppose it could be said that doing something like that is the act of 'a spoiled, petulant adolescent, devoid of both logic and common sense'. :lol:

I guess I left out the hypocrite part. :???:

theHiredMansWife said:
If we end up buying this chunk of CRP we're looking at, with any kind of luck we'll get some welfare money next fall! :D
http://ranchers.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=109980#109980

Possibly a new welfare queen in the making?

Wait a minute X....if I remember correctly cause I was part of that thread, jigs willing gave out the info of how much $$$ he got from the gov't.

So if you put the info out there....it can and will be used against you...as I well know on this board!!!!

X said:
theHiredMansWife said:
Uh huh...
Pretty low down, if you ask me. To bring someone's personal business into a new thread. :x Not surprising when we consider the source, however.
confused-smiley-013.gif

He volunteered the information. I just happen to remember it. :)
And I gotta say, if someone is running off about the evils of welfare, having happily accepted several thousand dollars themselves, yeah, I'm going to point out the double standard.

So far as the welfare queen bit, the very next paragraph in that post, I said:
Truth be told, I don't have much of a complaint with ag subsidies (aside from the need for a cap!) But it does bother me to see people who happily take their handouts complaining about other people who take handouts...
(oh, and note that I don't get didley now, and I'm told I'm a "liberal". :lol:)

Now again, i don't understand what this fascination a bunch of supposed adults has with doing the name-calling bit, but I'm not interested in playing that game.

kolanuraven said:
Wait a minute X....if I remember correctly cause I was part of that thread, jigs willing gave out the info of how much $$$ he got from the gov't.
I know who gave the info out, kola. On another thread. That's why I wrote:

X said:
bring someone's personal business into a new thread

Considering that HMW is always being so judgmental of others, since she seems to believe that she is so much better than everyone else, since she always tries to tell everyone else what is permissable in a post, well......I guess it just comes as a big disappointment that she would do something like that.

Is it true that she's no better than the rest of us? Who do we have to look up to now as the symbol of perfection? :(

theHiredMansWife said:
So far as the welfare queen bit, the very next paragraph in that post, I said:
Truth be told, I don't have much of a complaint with ag subsidies (aside from the need for a cap!) But it does bother me to see people who happily take their handouts complaining about other people who take handouts...
You can try to explain away your hypocrisy any way that you want to, but the truth is that you posted (with a big smile):
theHiredMansWife said:
If we end up buying this chunk of CRP we're looking at, with any kind of luck we'll get some welfare money next fall! :D
Pot, kettle, black. It never changes with you, does it? :lol:

I'm not sure I'm seeing your point.

Yeah, i said that with any kind of luck we'd be getting welfare in the form of a CRP payment. And yeah, I don't have a problem with subsidies.

What does that have to do with my point that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones??

If I were complaining about welfare recipients, while hoping to aquire a chunk of CRP, you might have an argument. As it is, you aren't making any sense...
confused-smiley-013.gif

reader (the Second) said:
What I want to know is why I don't hate conservatives but y'all seem to hate liberals, without even knowing what liberals think. You lump them all together.

Along these lines, I've been pondering lately why "conservative" hate radio (along the lines of Rush) is so much more popular than "liberal" hate radio (along the lines of Randi Rhodes, or Al Franken)...
I realize part of it is my perception, always having lived in extremely conservative parts of the country, but even nationwide, this type of radio does better with conservatives than liberals.
Why is that?

Guess they gotta " hate" somebody.....guess it's us ( me, R2 and HMW) :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Maybe us 3 women folks scare them??? Maybe that's the way we should look at this now? Hmmmm....this opens up a whole new aspect. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I think we're onto something here!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tap said:
I have given a lot of thought over the years about how either political party fits the values of agriculture and rural america. While neither party may be right 100% of the time, it is my opinion that the conservatives, on the right, represent what we need, and has been good for America.

That's one of the great things about this country, at least for now, we're all allowed to have an opinion. I totally disagree that we need a huge Federal deficit, two wars, finance the rebuilding two nations (Iraq and Afghanistan), eavesdropping on our private conversations, holding American citizens for up to three years without charges or access to an attorney, and you can lay all of those at the feet of the Republican, conservative government now in place in this country.

I am very sure that I don't know everything there is to know about my ansestors, but from the things I do know, I think our culture was better off with the values of earlier times. Look at what all things modern have done to the choices kids have to make these days. In my grandparents era there was no rap music, drugs, drive by shootings, etc. for kids to get involved with. Maybe these things were inevitable with the fast pace of our world, but I sure don't think you could call it "progress". I am also for the rights of citizens, but not for poor choices. Being liberal means anything goes, with no consequences. I just heard of a judge giving a criminal a very light sentence because his traumatic childhood outweighed the severity of the crime. What the heck does that have to do with how the victim of the crime was treated by the criminal? We don't need those sort of thinkers in our legal system.

Your memory is very short. In the '50s Rock and Roll was going to destroy this country. Elvis was not shown on TV from the waist down. Then the Beatles' records were destroyed in some communities because they were going to destroy the morals of youngsters. At school we practiced hiding under our desks in case of a nuclear attack. In 1958 a couple in VA was convicted of marrying outside their race (black and white) and sentenced to 25 years in jail. Apparently there were activist judges then, too, because the sentence was suspended if they'd leave the state.

You know what? We all survived these traumas, Russia is now our friend. Don't think this generation is so special or has it any worse than previous generations. :roll:

I am trying not to aim this at any one person in particuar (on this board), but it just baffles me how those that want any non-dependancy on our government, can support loonies like Al Gore, Ted Kennedy, and John Kerry? I think they are the sort of thinkers that those who came to the US to start a new country wanted to leave behind. And now some want to run right back to that kind of government.

Al Gore and John Kerry both served their country in war zones. I think those are the kinds of men that made our nation strong. Men who went and did their duty for God and Country. On the other hand we have George W. Bush who entered the Texas Guard while there was otherwise a waiting list. His daddy got him into that Guard Unit. "Four Deferment Dick" Cheney's daughter was born almost exactly nine months after they changed the laws to not draft men with children. The reason our forefathers left their home country and established this country was to get away from being told how to pray and what to think. This Administration and people on this board would restrict what we have to say if it doesn't agree with them. Amazing that you can ignore that. :shock:

You people make me laugh. I imagine you could pick out individual things that make your point, but I am painting with a broad brush, purposely.

The point is valid that every generation thinks the next is worse, but how long has it been the case that parents are deathly afraid that their kids will be involved at school with drugs, or worse? I think the pop culture is just the sh##s as far as the good it does for this country. And we all know who's side the Baldwins and Goldbergs and the like are on.It is set up so that it is taboo to judge another because that is unfair. I think even if the person doing the judging is not perfect, the judging itself is what causes us to keep our morals in some cases. I say abortion is immoral, killing old folks just because they are not productive is immoral, and that puts me at odds with most true liberals. And I am for fiscal responsibility as far as the deficit and our budget goes. And Disagreeable, RONALD REAGAN was responsible for the Soviets breaking down. My hero. :!: They don't make Republicans like him anymore unfortunately. The liberals just knew Reagan was going to cause WW3. :roll:

You guys have a right to your ideas, but I sure can't see how they help our country. :roll: And my point is that liberalism as a whole is a failed experiment.

I am so sick this liberal and conservative b.s. It just serves as a way to divide people. I guess I blame Rush Limbaugh the most. I used to listen to him every day and my views were about as warped as Jigs' are now. Noone can even say Democrat and Republican anymore that isn't divisive enough.

Believe it or not there are plenty of Democrats that have been married for fifty plus years and their are plenty of Republicans that have been divorced a time or three like Rush. Your "conservatives" certainly don't have a corner on "old-time values". The way "conservative" politicains have behaved the last six years I can't believe anyone with a brain would ever want to be called a conservative.

Latest posts