• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old Time Values

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Number 1-Good post, Tap, I agree with you.

Number 2-Dis, where is passin thru's ostrich with it's head in the
sand when I need it? Also, I have a dare for you.
I DARE you to post something that is positively POSITVE.
Nothing negative allowed. Do you think you could
manage that one?

Number 3-SD Steve, you did pretty well until the last part of the
last sentence.

killing old folks just because they are not productive is immoral

This is a perfect illustration.

Where do you guys get these generalizations?? This doesn't even make sense. Who have you ever heard suggesting this? :???:

And my point is that liberalism as a whole is a failed experiment
Considering the fact that the Founding Fathers were the liberals of their day, I feel confident in saying your assesment is grossly mistaken. You can't get more liberal than a bunch of revolutionaries!

Nothing is wrong with disagreeing. There is a reason there are different political ideologies. It's because people find commonalities on different subjects. But, the Bull Session is a prime example that even within similar ideologies, people can disagree vehemently on different topics.

To stereotype and generalize marginalizes people.
It means we don't have to listen to you because you're a: conservative, Kansan,woman,academic,whatever label is needed.

Like I said, most people in this country are sick and tired of partisanship.
It's disrespectful and downright bigoted, in the case of people like Rush and Randi Rhodes.

This is frustrating.

One last try here to make things clear.

I feel in general that conservative values are far more productive than liberal values. Even if Rush Limbaugh, or whoever strays occasionally from virtue, the principal is still there.

Now that I think about it, it is easy to make a list of what Repubs. are for and hard to think of anything in the Democrats platform. They could not honestly tell you what they are for, and be elected. And that is a fact.

Tap said:
You people make me laugh. I imagine you could pick out individual things that make your point, but I am painting with a broad brush, purposely.

"You people". That says it all.

The point is valid that every generation thinks the next is worse, but how long has it been the case that parents are deathly afraid that their kids will be involved at school with drugs, or worse? I think the pop culture is just the sh##s as far as the good it does for this country. And we all know who's side the Baldwins and Goldbergs and the like are on.It is set up so that it is taboo to judge another because that is unfair. I think even if the person doing the judging is not perfect, the judging itself is what causes us to keep our morals in some cases. I say abortion is immoral, killing old folks just because they are not productive is immoral, and that puts me at odds with most true liberals. And I am for fiscal responsibility as far as the deficit and our budget goes. And Disagreeable, RONALD REAGAN was responsible for the Soviets breaking down. My hero. :!: They don't make Republicans like him anymore unfortunately. The liberals just knew Reagan was going to cause WW3. :roll:

White parents were as seriously concerned back in the '50 that their children might be marrying blacks as parents are about drugs today. Today that's laughable, but back then in some regions of the country it was a valid concern, preached about from the pulpit of many, many churches, illegal in many states. You apparently think pop culture (whatever that is) is bogus because they don't agree with you! That tells us even more about you. No one is advocating killing old people. That's hype that you throw out there to make yourself feel superior. You can say a woman doesn't have the right to make decisions about her own body, I say you're wrong and so does the majority of people in the United States. If you're for fiscal responsibility, how can you support the Bush Administration? He took the highest Federal budget surplus in my memory (and it's a very long memory) and has turned it into the largest Federal budget deficit in history. And we haven't really started paying the cost of taking care of wounded vets from Iraq. Ronald Reagan also left us with a huge Federal deficit that Republican President George HW Bush couldn't handle. It took a Democratic President to erase 12 years of Republican fiscal irresponsibility! Who would have thunk it? :shock: Reagan outspent the Russians, they went broke because their system couldn't match ours. Whatever the reason, during those MAD years kids lived in fear of being nuked. Today Russia is now counted as a friend to this country. Saddam was an ally of Reagan. We gave him weapons and technology to fight Iran. Things change, sometimes for the better, sometimes not. But your whine that the old times are better isn't accurate, IMO.

You guys have a right to your ideas, but I sure can't see how they help our country. :roll: And my point is that liberalism as a whole is a failed experiment.

I see you don't want to discuss the fact that Gore and Kerry actually served their country in time of war and George Bush and "Four Deferrment Dick" didn't. That's ok. We all know the truth.

Faster horses said:
Number 1-Good post, Tap, I agree with you.

Number 2-Dis, where is passin thru's ostrich with it's head in the
sand when I need it? Also, I have a dare for you.
I DARE you to post something that is positively POSITVE.
Nothing negative allowed. Do you think you could
manage that one?

Number 3-SD Steve, you did pretty well until the last part of the
last sentence.[/quote

Every time I see the head in the sand ostrich I think of you and Katrina. There couldn't be two people more in denial then you two.

Tap said:
This is frustrating.

One last try here to make things clear.

I feel in general that conservative values are far more productive than liberal values. Even if Rush Limbaugh, or whoever strays occasionally from virtue, the principal is still there.

It's frustrating because you're wrong and I think you know it.

As far as you're concerned, apparently, as long as someone claims to be a conservative, he can stray from virtue and still be ok with you (Rush and drugs). But a liberal who strays is damned by you? ROTFLMAO! Too funny.

I can see you liberals don't have enough to do but nitpick my statements. I am NOT going to argue the fine points of my broad statement. You can't prove me wrong, so you find minute examples and use that for ammo.'

For those of us that pay the bills in this country, I need to get back to work. :wink:

Tap said:
Now that I think about it, it is easy to make a list of what Repubs. are for and hard to think of anything in the Democrats platform. They could not honestly tell you what they are for, and be elected. And that is a fact.

Oh? What do Republicans stand for these days? Are Republicans for fiscal responsiblity? Then why do we have the highest Federal deficit in my lifetime? Why has pork barrel spending exploded in this Republican dominated Congress? Are Republicans for smaller government? Then why has the Federal government grown bigger under the current Republican control? Are Republicans for honest government? Then why is the Republican Senate Majority leader under investigation? Why was a CA Republican Congressman convicted of accepting bribes and sent to jail? Why is Tom DeLay under indictment and resigned from the House? How about Republicans Ney and Burns? Can you say Abramoff?

You don't have a leg to stand on with this argument. :lol:

Tap said:
I can see you liberals don't have enough to do but nitpick my statements. I am NOT going to argue the fine points of my broad statement. You can't prove me wrong, so you find minute examples and use that for ammo.'

For those of us that pay the bills in this country, I need to get back to work. :wink:

While you're working to pay the bills, think of Theresea Heinz Kerry. She got a huge tax cut from President Bush. How much did yours amount to?

Tap said:

Um... inaccurate, demeaning generalization again.
Most liberals are working and paying taxes, too. :roll:

And when you get the chance, please answer Steve's question. I'm curious what the differences are, as well. And that is your broad point, is it not?

I'll confess, I don't have a lot to do today. Myself, I'm Googling for ideas to flesh out my Bible School lesson plans next week.

Wait a second... that must be a liberal value, eh? Bible School?
I'm sure conservatives must not believe in it!

:lol:

theHiredMansWife said:
:???:
I'm not sure I'm seeing your point.

Yeah, i said that with any kind of luck we'd be getting welfare in the form of a CRP payment. And yeah, I don't have a problem with subsidies.

What does that have to do with my point that those who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones??

If I were complaining about welfare recipients, while hoping to aquire a chunk of CRP, you might have an argument. As it is, you aren't making any sense...
confused-smiley-013.gif
I'm sure it doesn't make sense to you, because you only see what you want to see and you're always right. You contend that people who want to keep more of their own money in the form of tax cuts are similar to those receiving welfare and you complain constantly about the current level of federal spending.
confused-smiley-013.gif

But give you the opportunity to snort, headbutt and hook your way up to that federal trough, and you're more than willing to accept my tax dollars and do your share to add to that federal spending. You getting CRP money is a hell of a lot closer to welfare than me keeping more of the money I work for.

Of course, I'm sure none of that will make any sense to you either Ms. Perfect, because you sure wouldn't ever want to admit that you're wrong or ever admit that you're a hypocrite. Pot, kettle, black. It never changes with you.
confused-smiley-013.gif

reader (the Second) said:
What I want to know is why I don't hate conservatives but y'all seem to hate liberals, without even knowing what liberals think. You lump them all together.
This seems like a pretty inaccurate generalization, #2. Of course, the self-appointed Ranchers.net generalization cop hasn't said anything about it. Isn't that strange? No, not really. Only conservatives have to answer to her.
confused-smiley-013.gif

I sure don't 'hate' liberals. In fact, I really can't think of anyone that I hate at the present time. I was brought up to believe that it is wrong to hate. Hell, I don't think I could even admit to disliking most of you libs. I really can't even say that I 'hate' dis. It's true that I hate a lot of the things that she has said, but I don't hate her personally.

Broad brush, #2. Your generalization is incorrect. And if a conservative had done such a thing, we would have been scolded till the cows came home.
confused-smiley-013.gif

And as much as I too hate paying taxes, I support not only the things reader mentioned, but even gov't subsidies.

You contend that people who want to keep more of their own money in the form of tax cuts
My bad. I was actually referring to "tax incentives". Ie, special cuts and breaks for certain types of business or business locations.

You getting CRP money is a hell of a lot closer to welfare than me keeping more of the money I work for.

Um... I don't get a dime in gov't money. And frankly, I'm far more interested in the land than the CRP payment. In fact, I was hoping they wouldn't re-sign it this spring...
The only reason I mentioned it at all was because jigs was wondering what everyone else got for welfare. That's all I had to contribute; a hypothetical CRP payment, if we get to buy the land.
However jigs has mentioned that he recently got $9 grand in subsidy payments.
I've already stated I don't have a problem with subsidies, so truth be told I don't care if he got $9 grand or $19, but those of you who are ranting about welfare seem to be exhibiting one heck of a double standard...

Whew, someone has a vendetta against HMW for some reason and whatever it is, it is outta proportion with anything HMW said. Is this the anti-female tirade or what???
This isn't about gender, and you damn well know it. That's no different than someone pulling the race card when they don't have anything else to argue. I'm surprised at you, #2. :(

X said:
And conservatives are just as happy with government handouts as liberals. They simply prefer to call them "subsidies" or "tax breaks".
Anyone that considers "tax breaks" to be the same thing as "government handouts" is truly an ignorant individual. :???:

I won't name names, but......
confused-smiley-013.gif

Then how come whenever ethanol is mentioned by Rush Limbaugh or any of the other guys that host his show they say that "if it wasn't for the government handouts ethanol couldn't survive". The "government handouts" they are talking about are actually "tax breaks". I guess all the right-wingers that are continually saying this are " truly ignorant individuals". I guess I already knew this. :D

HMW and Kola and I can be preachy, but so can some males. My point was so what if she was being holier than thou, why come out fightin so strongly?
You are correct that all of us can be preachy at times. All of us....male and female. There was no reason to turn this into a gender-based discussion. And perhaps you are correct that I came on too strong in this case. But HMW's 'holier than thou' (your words) attitude is prevalent in many threads here. This isn't the first time we've seen it.

But if you say you didn't mean it in an "anti-female" way, I'm gonna believe you.
You believe what you want. How on earth could you possibly think that it was "anti-female"? If you'll recall, I'm not the one that brought gender into this thread. In fact, no conservative made gender an issue. To refresh your memory:

[u said:
kolanuraven[/u]"]Maybe us 3 women folks scare them??? Maybe that's the way we should look at this now? Hmmmm....this opens up a whole new aspect. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

[u said:
reader (the Second)[/u]"]Well I have been known to scare some men especially :wink: :wink:

[u said:
theHiredMansWife[/u]"]
5704UppityWomen.jpg

:wink:

[u said:
kolanuraven[/u]"]:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Can I hear an " Amen" ,sista!!!!!!

[u said:
Frankk[/u]"]You girls were all over them guys, like a duck on a june bug.

[u said:
reader (the Second)[/u]"]Which is why I like strong, opinionated men (my husband was the opposite but he was the love of my youth). They don't scare easily and hold their own.

The male ego is fragile and one must tread lightly :D :D

Did you notice myself or any other conservative quoted in there? No, I think not. But even after all of that, I assumed that all of you were only joking. Gender hadn't been an issue and I never assumed that any of you had been attempting to make it an issue with your light-hearted posts.

For the sake of this discussion, gender isn't important to me and I don't think it is important to any of the other conservatives here. Conservatives didn't bring gender into this discussion!

We should all watch our prejudices, me included, and as "liberated" as a man might claim he is, I contend that some of my colleagues at work can only see women like their lovely wives and sisters... Not like their peers.
This isn't your workplace, #2. You seem to have approached this entire discussion with a chip on your shoulder. Don't attribute the perceived prejudices that you encouter in your workplace to people here. That's an unfair generalization, isn't it?

By the way #2, I'm still waiting for YOU to be scolded for the generalizations that you have used here.
confused-smiley-013.gif
It appears that I will have a long wait. Another double standard, so it seems. :lol:

SDSteve said:
Then how come whenever ethanol is mentioned by Rush Limbaugh or any of the other guys that host his show they say that "if it wasn't for the government handouts ethanol couldn't survive". The "government handouts" they are talking about are actually "tax breaks". I guess all the right-wingers that are continually saying this are " truly ignorant individuals". I guess I already knew this. :D
Are you serious? How in the hell would I know what Rush Limbaugh or any of his guest hosts mean when they say anything? :???:

In fact, I don't possess personal knowledge that any of them have actually even said what you have attributed to them. I have no reason not to believe that you have accurately quoted them, however. Nor do I have reason to doubt that you can look into their minds and know what they intended by their (alleged) comments. Still......do you have a link? :lol:

Latest posts