• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Olympics!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Turkey Track Bar

Reaction score
I love the Olympics, and am so glad the Winter Games are here! I have no doubt the Canadian hospitality will show through!

Yippee!

Our sale bulls are clipped and catalogs out, so now we have time to cheer on the athletes and enjoy the games. I love it. On my bucket list is to someday attend a winter and summer Olympic games. I can't even begin to imagine how wonderful it would be to attend!

May God Bless our athletes, and keep them safe. Also, please keep the country of Georgia and their delegation in your thoughts and prayers; as they grieve over the loss of one of their luge athletes.

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

I guess I shouldn't be such a troll but I am over the Olympics.

Practically every business in downtown Vancouver will be shut down for the next two weeks, and this in tough economic times.
The BC taxpayer has been and will be paying for them for a long time to come and less than 40% of the tickets were available to the general public.
Our politicians all got FREE tickets. :mad:

A friend of ours in Vancouver said his Dad went to the waterfront a week ago to see the rings out on the bay and the area is cordoned off so the locals can't even see that much.
I do enjoy some of the events but they are much more enjoyed on television when someone else is paying the bill. :wink:

they showed on the news tonight the wreck that killed the one athlete. they said he was going over 80 mph when he hit the steel beam. :shock: it didn't look like a pleasent way to go.

so I am watching the opening ceremonies...its pretty weird is the nicest thing i can come up with. I hope people around the world watching really don't think that is what Canada is :?

:agree: with gcreeks comments .these olympics are going to cost us big time for many years to come as tax payers and they are out of reach financily to most of our residents in the rest of B.C.

I watched the opening and loved it...I was so enthralled with the light and effects shows...Amazing what they can do these days with electronics...I also thought Canada was very well described in the show...especially the Gentleman that spoke all by himself and talked about what Candadians are...can't remember the whole line, but the part that they are "Please & Thankyou" and "Your Welcome" I liked...Looking forward to watching several events... :lol:

gcreekrch said:
I guess I shouldn't be such a troll but I am over the Olympics.

Practically every business in downtown Vancouver will be shut down for the next two weeks, and this in tough economic times.
The BC taxpayer has been and will be paying for them for a long time to come and less than 40% of the tickets were available to the general public.
Our politicians all got FREE tickets. :mad:

A friend of ours in Vancouver said his Dad went to the waterfront a week ago to see the rings out on the bay and the area is cordoned off so the locals can't even see that much.
I do enjoy some of the events but they are much more enjoyed on television when someone else is paying the bill. :wink:

miocene said:
:agree: with gcreeks comments .these olympics are going to cost us big time for many years to come as tax payers and they are out of reach financily to most of our residents in the rest of B.C.

Oh come on now guys. Do you really think the feds are going to let you guys foot the entire bill that's leftover? I am sure they will spread the misery around the rest of us Canucks.

My big question is, which is going to cost more, the '76 games or the '10 games.

I hope we get a discount on the failed hydraulics for the indoor rink flame.

I'm old enough to live in the past so my Olympic memories are from Calgary in 88. I went to an event every day. Watch several medal ceremonies in the park down town and enjoyed every minute of it. I introduced my wife to be to my parents in a revolving restaurant atop the Calgary tower which was the Olympic torch during the Olympics. My sister lives in Vancouver, I hope she is able to have as much fun as I had and who knows maybe Vancouver can turn a profit like Calgary did.

Calgary was my favorite... :D I will never forget the horses and the riders in there blue outfits... It was awesome!!! Now let the events begin!! Go USA!!! kick some russian and china butts!!!

When we had them in Utah I felt just like Gcreek. But they turned out pretty good and actually made the state some cash. Lots of folks saw Utah for the first time and it brought tourists in with money to spend. While money is good, the hoards of people I can do without. :wink: Hopefully Canada will have a great games and all will go smoothly (Except for the one leg of the flame holder thingy not coming up). Prayers to the young guy's family and fellow atheletes. At least he was doing something he enjoyed.

I too love the Olympics, especially the stories about the athletes. We always have calves named after the medal winners. :)

We liked the opening ceremonies...hope our tv reception holds out for the games.

I was stuck in the 'have not' province of Alberta lol-the power went out and couldn't watch all the opening ceremonies-I guess celebrating youth, passion, talent and national pride rubs some people the wrong way but not me-you won't get me whining about the Olympics unless the U'S beats us in hockey AGAIN!!!

The Mounties carrying the Canadian Flag, the group carrying the Olympic Flag, the final Torch Bearers, especially Rick Hansen, were the highlights for me...should have just watched the first and last 5 minutes!!

Northern Rancher said:
I was stuck in the 'have not' province of Alberta lol-the power went out and couldn't watch all the opening ceremonies-I guess celebrating youth, passion, talent and national pride rubs some people the wrong way but not me-you won't get me whining about the Olympics unless the U'S beats us in hockey AGAIN!!!

Not whining Cory, just being a realist. The athletes in the Olympics are the real deal.
To see this province and country spend like a Democrat bailout on these games when roads are going to he.. and they can't even look after their own people be they agriculture, loggers, or welfare bums is a little ironic.
$31,000,000 to run that torch across the country? Give me a break.

I also have no tolerance for the demonstrations against the Olympics. It was too late to protest the day Vancouver was selected to hold them. The garbage that tore up downtown Vancouver today are no better than any other terrorist group and should be treated as such.

Contrary to what some may think we are enjoying watching some of the events. :wink:

The only Olympics I really got excited about was when the included rodeo in the winter olympics that one year....

i fully applaud the athletes that make up the games i also support the IOC for setting the highest of standards for the games .however what fry's my butt :mad: :x is the media circus that has evolved to the point it was at today in dealing with the protesters/looters/terorists.while they hijacked the stage taking away from the fine upstanding people who realy deserved the recognitionin their chosen sport.

Boy those mens biathalon guys are having a terrible time missing shots... :shock:
The Canuck really rattled them off fast...Must have practiced on wolf packs.... :wink:

I just watched the medal ceremony for the women's moguls from last night. I am sure proud of the two American gals that won gold and bronze. Watching them listen to the anthem was pretty special. But my heart goes out to the Canadian girl. She had so much pressure and wanted to win so badly! What a great sportswoman for smiling her best! My hat's off to you young lady! :tiphat:

As far as the biathalon went......... if they'd let me ride my horse, I could sure out shoot those boys. They couldn't hit their butts with two hands and a flashlight! :shock: :D

Well walking the streets of Vancouver friday and saturday night,I was amazed by the out pouring of humanity. The streets are full of Canada pride,excitement and sorrow for the young sledder who lost his life...many moments of silence took place from bars to event starts all over the city...

It was electric to watch the great one light the touch and was it not also nice to see how many ambassadors of our country folk Canada had to choose from...Choosing the great one was a very good choice,but any of those mentioned to light the tourch were more then worthy and pridefilled choices...

Life should not always have to be about arguing and fighting about were the money was spent,or who gets what. Its nice to see our country together .cheering as a group and i heard even the troops in kandahar were celebrating the opening ceremony....

On the streets of Vancouver right now ,no one cares what province your from,your Canadian and that is what it is all about...come and see. you only need a few dollars to get on the sky train and see the city....there are huge public tv's on the streets surrounded by cheering crowds. It cost nothing to walk the streets. and its more than a party as there are no drunks to be seen. Young and old sharing a lifetime moment...I even saw an grandpa get a maple leaf painted on his cheek as his grandson got the same thing sitting in the chair beside him...

The world needs more things like this,competition on who is the best without guns and bombs...Where second place is a win not a loss,where effort and perseverance shines through. Where stories of past failures become heroic journies..Where the defeated are respected and are aplauded on their efforts,not buried in the dirt with a cross marking thier last stand....

It may of cost more money then expected but it brings to us national pride ,something sorely lacking and in need of...If you listen you can still here those who rather complain,but they will never change..For some its just easier to complain...

Imagine if the Greeks complained way back when,they would only be knowen now for olives and those horrible syurp deserts.lol...but how many people have gone to see those ruins?..

I do however hope the weather gets colder....

GO CANADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!......HEY WE WON OUR FIRST GOLD ON HOME SOIL TODAY... :D

Latest posts