• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

On Duty

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
We had just completed "Live line" training.
Can you pick me out of this line up? Hint with my vision problems I almost always have a shade over my eyes.

Faster horses said:
Thanks for the tip! You are pretty darn tall.

You help provide many good services to your community. That is to be admired.

" " " " " to what FH said.

And, that is a capable looking bunch!

Out here in 'the sticks', we have a hard time finding ANYONE to fill law enforcement positions. Pay isn't great, distances are great, and while things requiring law enforcement aren't frequent, they can be pretty sad and hard to deal with in places where everyone knows everyone. When someone makes a serious mistake, it hurts lots of people who aren't directly involved.........and/or angers them!

Then there are the accidents and injuries, to often involving people the officers know......or are related to. It can be awfully quiet, making it harder to justify necessary equipment and man-power......or as during storms......much more work than manpower available.

I could almost envy you George, for that fine group to help protect the citizens, but sure wouldn't want your high population density required to support it!

mrj

I'm only 5'7" and I'm the oldest at 69 - - - I'm sure you spotted me at the far right with the cap on.

At my age I ask to only patrol if someone needs a shift off - - - I am the Director of Transports and move a lot of people from jails all over the country back to here if they get picked on warrants up elsewhere. Then I transport mental health patients and convicted felons to the proper facilities.

The riskiest are the people sentenced to 50 years to life for their crimes. My job is to take them from the county jail to the state or federal prisons - - - I feel no matter how nice they present themselves they would kill me to get away if they got the chance as they have nothing to lose.

Most of the time I feel that with my methods they get treated better than most transports. The ones that have concerned me the most were

1) The man who beat two neighbors to death with a shovel, found guilty but mentally deficient so he went to a mental health facility that would put most 5 star hotels to shame. He had attacked the last 2 officers transporting him. I had 2 other deputies with me when I secured him and 3 orderlies with me at the other end - - - no problem at all, I listened to him as he talked about all the bad things that had happened to him.

2) The man who beat his 2 meth dealers to death with his bare hands - - - this man is very big! I do not mean fat he was big and strong but my restraints are stronger when used properly. I'm sure he will come back and forth several times as he appeals his sentence.
Drugs are the scourge around here - - - we are averaging 6 ODs a day in this county of 38,000 people since narcan is saving many people's lives I keep seeing the same ones over and over - - - they OD - - - get sent to a rehab facility for 10 days and then about a week after they get out the game starts again.

Fentanyl is used by vets to sedate horses and cattle - - - Pro fentanyl is used to sedate elephants and if you are not addicted to opioids a speck the size of a grain of sand will kill you if you touch it with sweaty hands.

Call me crazy but I enjoy the work!

George, we may call you crazy.......while we thank God for you doing that awful job!

Wonder where this drug craze is going to take us. It irritates me no end that our precious federal dollars are being spent on cleaning addicts up.......over and over and over again, with no end in sight. Add on the costs of the crimes they commit, and they owe a huge debt to taxpayers, if we are honest about it.

mrj

mrj said:
George, we may call you crazy.......while we thank God for you doing that awful job!

Wonder where this drug craze is going to take us. It irritates me no end that our precious federal dollars are being spent on cleaning addicts up.......over and over and over again, with no end in sight. Add on the costs of the crimes they commit, and they owe a huge debt to taxpayers, if we are honest about it.

mrj

Well said. Again thanks Obama for ACA where we provide drugs to users til they get their next fix. :mad:

Latest posts