• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

On the subject of property rights

Help Support Ranchers.net:

yes TNC uses private funds but what they do so many times is buy from a willing seller, ranchers, and sell to the USFS, BLM, or some other Government agency at an inflated price, making a profit on the deal with the government, thereby "using" taxpayer money to finance their organization which is still listed as a nonprofit charitable organization. RANGE magazine has written so many articles on the dealings of TNC, some of which are probably biased but there is no wasy you could convince me to trust them at all. No they do not receive tax dollars directly, but they have their ways.

SW, NCC which is the equal to TNC in the US seems to get preffered treatment on ranch deals where they buy the deeded land ,put a easement on it and sell it. Meanwhile the government holds the lease land in limbo while they do this so it can go with the deeded land. They would not do this for the private Joe. I am not totally against easements . The probably have a time and place but the seller of the Easement need to know WHO they are dealing with and What's in the easement, and all the ramifications the go with it.

exactly. With Montana Land Reliance, we had to spell out how we were going to use the land, where if ever we would want to have another homesite and basically promise to keep the place in agriculture and never sell off chunks of it for development. The Easement is easy to read and understand even for an idiot like me. When we started this process, we had to have a botanist come in and do a plant and animal survey. I thought that I was in for a bunch of rancher bashing when I saw her drive in in her VW bus with dogs wearing bandanas hanging out the windows. I expected the ranchers are bad, wildlife is good rhetoric while she munched her grainola. What I got after she was here for two weeks inventorying plants and animals was a lot of questions, such as "why don't you graze that pasture? Why this why that? And how did you train those elk to come out everytime I drive by?" She got to spend enough time out here to learn that ranchers care about the land more than people think and we live on it, we don't drive through it at 70 mph and think we know it all. The one thing that she thought was hilarious was when we told her that there had been a major loss of chipmunks in the last two years. What, you mean ranchers don't just shoot everything they see that they can't make money off of? You care about some little animals? Anyway the point I'm trying to make now is that more ranchers would be better off having a discussion with botanists, ecologists etc., as you are now doing. It opens the eyes of both sides.

Rowdy Ranch said:
On this subject-seems as if the land owner is losing control of the ownership rights around here also. For example,purchased a pasture 2 yrs. ago and thourghly had check out to make sure no easments. WEll, 2 parties had been going thru to their pasture simply because it is easier to go that way instead of thru another owners pasture and better than the path leading to the pasture. We have been trying to get this stopped,finding out that if they have been using that route for 15 yrs. it is a permanent easement. We are still working on it and in the meantime the township(2 pasture owners on the board) had our road fence staked for being on township right away(as all the old fences are,if you get to looking) so giving them the right to take out our fence any time they ----well please. The fence is okay shape. So it all comes to jealousy as they could have bought the pasture as it was a public sale.Always have to fight something anymore as if we don't have enough work to do!

Good luck ...I have been in your shoes.

frenchie said:
Rowdy Ranch said:
On this subject-seems as if the land owner is losing control of the ownership rights around here also. For example,purchased a pasture 2 yrs. ago and thourghly had check out to make sure no easments. WEll, 2 parties had been going thru to their pasture simply because it is easier to go that way instead of thru another owners pasture and better than the path leading to the pasture. We have been trying to get this stopped,finding out that if they have been using that route for 15 yrs. it is a permanent easement. We are still working on it and in the meantime the township(2 pasture owners on the board) had our road fence staked for being on township right away(as all the old fences are,if you get to looking) so giving them the right to take out our fence any time they ----well please. The fence is okay shape. So it all comes to jealousy as they could have bought the pasture as it was a public sale.Always have to fight something anymore as if we don't have enough work to do!

A Conservation Easement isn't quite like a easement for a road or power line.

Big Muddy rancher said:
frenchie said:
Rowdy Ranch said:

I know that..But you are still giving up something..

Todays state section of the Billings Gazette has several articles on the pros and cons of conservation easements....Not sure I would want to be making the decision that permanently binds my kids or the generations to come......

http://www.billingsgazette.net/news/

If I put my land in a conservation easement and don't own the mineral rights to it then what happens to the owners of mineral rights? I can't keep drilling off my place if the owners of the mineral rights want to drill.

Not even remotely. A road/power line easement will be taken whether you like it or not.

A conservation easement is entirely up to the landowner. I really don't understand why people are bent out of shape about this if we truly *do* respect property rights...

Those were good articles OT. It is a permenet decision. Some peolpe might not have kids and want their places to stay a ranch so it gives them that Peace of mind if that's what they want. Protects range from being farmed.
But CE's should not be sold just for the cash or tax benifit . For some the cash from a easement could provide a down payment on a ranch that might be broken up and sold and not retained in a family..

Latest posts