• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

One eyed cow horse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TWOROPES

Reaction score
A man I know had a real good workin grey mare that he paid at least 3500.00 for trained and papered. The mare was cross-tied wrong in a barn by a rookie horseshoer, and ended up losing an eye. The man that owned her has many good horses and sold the mare to me for 700.00. I was thinking I would breed her as she is well bred. A pretty big good paying day work job was offered to me and my gelding went lame. I couldnt afford to turn down the work so I drag this one eyed mare out and saddle her up and go. The mare had not been ridden in six months, and I had never ridden her or seen her ridden, just heard about how good she was. I get on her cold-backed from the trailer and go find 37 registered cows that were in a cornfield 11 miles from home and take them home. Not a burp or hesitation out of this mare, and I think she may just be the best damn cow horse I have owned in my life, never expected this from a one eyed horse. I guess good things come in unexpected packages. sorry so long..tworopes

There have been two or three 4H kids ridin one eyed horses, all of which are better horses than most kids get to ride. The couple of people I've chatted with about these horses have said they are retired ranch horses....some old, some not so old...but ever one I've seen sure take care of them kiddo's that are ridin em like they are gold.

They learn to compensate, but it is always a good idea to know whatyou are on, no matter what it is,

PPRM

Had a 1 eyed mare I drove.I always put her on the right as that was the eye that worked.

She wasn't any better with 1 eye that she was with 2. I still drive her only living get. Other foal was taken by a cougar. Least the cat left the day old foal in the next corral. Mebe mom had a little say in that.

We had one and we rode and drove him. He wanted the good eye on the same side as his partner in harness. He was kind of a dink before he lost the eye and when he lost it, it sure didn't improve him. Only reason he stayed as long as he did, was he was my sister's horse.

He was a paint with a white face and got cancer, so the vet took the eye out.

My Dad only had one eye and I always thought he should ride him, but he said he wouldn't as they both were missing the eye on the same side.

There is a feller up north who has both eyes, but only sight out of one. He rides a horse, with the same condition. Between them, they have two good eyes. I don't know if they both have the good eye on the same side or not. Tumbleweed might know.

When i was teaching country school, a neighbor pastured his horses next to the school yard. One of which was missing an eye. But he worked cows on her and the kids rode her for 4H. Perfectly normal horse except for that hide where her near eye should be. (and she had a thing for Cheetos) :wink:

My Auntie had a filly that had lost her eye they just sewes the eyelids together. That way no dirt and stuff got in it. She was a little grey half we all called her winkie. :wink:

I've seen 2 decent rope horses that were 1 eyed. they weren't check winners but decent amature mounts.

The ropin arena is pretty flat and smooth, but I'd fear opening up a 1 eyed pony accross a rough pasture. That's just me, too many scars and aches already - I dig a sure footed pony.

Latest posts