• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Opportunity Knocks!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

We ran Char bulls on black cows for years and never got any-Simmental or the Hereford bull Titan 7777 that ABS sold they'd rat them up. I was pretty p'o'ed I a"i'ed a bunch of my best black cows to 7777's and got tight curled grey rat tails off him. I'm pretty the red bull won't give you any.

Kato the bull was a Rawe ranch one - out of Strome, AB some of Canada's pioneer Charolais breeders I believe. He was pretty much all of their own breeding on both sides if I remember correctly.

He was not what I think of as a Full French type, he was a smaller frame, extremely muscled, lighter boned bull with a fine, short hair coat. His calves were certainly not full French - he had an 84lb bw, the calves would be 80-90 on average and we never pulled a calf of his.
The full French to me would be taller, heavier boned with less pronounced 2nd thigh development but instead a deeper, longer thigh muscle. The full French also tend to have longer coarser hair and a longer coarser head. The only full French herd I have seen in Canada was full of cattle with really bad foot structure. I would expect the Full French would still breed higher birthweight calves - I know the purebred Charolais in the UK, despite being British citizens for 45 years now are generally still hard calvers.

For anyone interested take a look at this French Charolais website link http://www.charolaise.fr/index_en.php

If you can't be bothered - under the Charolais breed standard it states;
"The Charolais breed standard precisely describes the phenotypical ( visible ) characteristics common to all animals of a same breed. Animals of pure Charolais breed all display the following characteristics
1. a spotless, uniformly white or sometimes cream coat,...."

http://jas.fass.org/cgi/reprint/77/5/1144.pdf
By reading the above info on Rat Tails it seems maybe your Titan 7777 Hereford bull had some Simmental in him. :wink:

Soapweed said:
gcreekrch said:
nortexsook said:
Just to chirp in, not that I care too much one way or another, but that bull doesn't show much Charolais breed character at all (even if he were white as a snow storm).

After the Angus and Hereford guys tried to make their cattle look like Continentals, the Charolais guys are trying to make Angus cattle out of theirs. :wink:

To be downright honest, I almost hazarded my guess early on which would have been Saler. He's a good bull, though, no matter what color or breed he happens to be.

My point exactly. As you all know, my cows are multi-cultural and all I am int. in is uniformity in type. As long as this bull calves easily I think he is a great representative of a BEEF bull. :wink:

Latest posts