• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Oregon vs Ohio State

Help Support Ranchers.net:

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,060
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
I think Mike just realized that the knot ESPN had tied around their pet conference along with their manipulating the BCS rankings just slipped, big time.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
loomixguy said:
I think Mike just realized that the knot ESPN had tied around their pet conference along with their manipulating the BCS rankings just slipped, big time.

WTF? I really did just realize how stupid you are to not know that I abhor Bama.

Manipulating BCS rankings? Are you drinking too much lately? :roll:
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,060
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
Did I mention Bama? I think you've mistaken me for Sandy.

Don't you suppose that there just might be the slightest chance of ranking manipulation by the Disney/ABC/ESPN "family", given their multi billion dollar ties with the SEC?
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
loomixguy said:
Did I mention Bama? I think you've mistaken me for Sandy.

Don't you suppose that there just might be the slightest chance of ranking manipulation by the Disney/ABC/ESPN "family", given their multi billion dollar ties with the SEC?

ESPN has multi million dollar ties to all of the Power 5 conferences. Yes, all 5. :roll:
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,060
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
But I think we can agree that they have a substantially larger financial stake in the SEC vs the other conferences, no?
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
loomixguy said:
But I think we can agree that they have a substantially larger financial stake in the SEC vs the other conferences, no?

Depends on what you mean by "financial stake". The current CBS/SEC contract is $55 MILLION per year through the 2022-2023 season. And that only includes ONE GAME per week.

No telling what the SEC takes in from ESPN. Is that a "financial stake"? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If it is, I call that pretty good business sense by the SEC.

June 30, 2014 Last week I wrote about the size of the SEC Network in relation to other sports media channel. At launch this Fall, the SEC Network will be the fifth largest sports channel in the country.

1. ESPN: 97 million households $7 billion

2. NFL Network: 72 million households $1.05 billion

3. ESPN2: 97 million households $861.4 million

4. FS1: 88 million households $718.8 million

5. SEC Network: 75 million households $611 million*

6. NBC Sports Network: 80 million households $259.2 million

7. Pac 12 Network: 26 million households $249.6 million

8. Big Ten Network: 52 million households $237.1 million

9. ESPN News: 75 million households $207 million
 

jigs

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
8,439
Reaction score
0
Location
KANSAS
where is the highly touted, greatest network ever?? the fabulous Longhorn Network??
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
4,364
Reaction score
0
Location
Heart of Texas
jigs said:
where is the highly touted, greatest network ever?? the fabulous Longhorn Network??

Hardly an income producer when they throw it in as a freebie on most of the sports pkgs.
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,060
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
Mike said:
loomixguy said:
But I think we can agree that they have a substantially larger financial stake in the SEC vs the other conferences, no?

Depends on what you mean by "financial stake". The current CBS/SEC contract is $55 MILLION per year through the 2022-2023 season. And that only includes ONE GAME per week.

No telling what the SEC takes in from ESPN. Is that a "financial stake"? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If it is, I call that pretty good business sense by the SEC.

June 30, 2014 Last week I wrote about the size of the SEC Network in relation to other sports media channel. At launch this Fall, the SEC Network will be the fifth largest sports channel in the country.

1. ESPN: 97 million households $7 billion

2. NFL Network: 72 million households $1.05 billion

3. ESPN2: 97 million households $861.4 million

4. FS1: 88 million households $718.8 million

5. SEC Network: 75 million households $611 million*

6. NBC Sports Network: 80 million households $259.2 million

7. Pac 12 Network: 26 million households $249.6 million

8. Big Ten Network: 52 million households $237.1 million

9. ESPN News: 75 million households $207 million

One thing I noticed is that the SEC network logo also prominently features the letters "ESPN" along with "SEC".....didn't notice that on any other logos....

The ESPN may be in bed with every conference in some form or fashion, but they're more in bed with the SEC than any other conference....
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
loomixguy said:
Mike said:
loomixguy said:
But I think we can agree that they have a substantially larger financial stake in the SEC vs the other conferences, no?

Depends on what you mean by "financial stake". The current CBS/SEC contract is $55 MILLION per year through the 2022-2023 season. And that only includes ONE GAME per week.

No telling what the SEC takes in from ESPN. Is that a "financial stake"? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: If it is, I call that pretty good business sense by the SEC.

June 30, 2014 Last week I wrote about the size of the SEC Network in relation to other sports media channel. At launch this Fall, the SEC Network will be the fifth largest sports channel in the country.

1. ESPN: 97 million households $7 billion

2. NFL Network: 72 million households $1.05 billion

3. ESPN2: 97 million households $861.4 million

4. FS1: 88 million households $718.8 million

5. SEC Network: 75 million households $611 million*

6. NBC Sports Network: 80 million households $259.2 million

7. Pac 12 Network: 26 million households $249.6 million

8. Big Ten Network: 52 million households $237.1 million

9. ESPN News: 75 million households $207 million

One thing I noticed is that the SEC network logo also prominently features the letters "ESPN" along with "SEC".....didn't notice that on any other logos....

The ESPN may be in bed with every conference in some form or fashion, but they're more in bed with the SEC than any other conference....

When you start a network, it's a good idea to partner up with a broadcaster. :lol: :lol: :lol: I'd just as soon the SEC to work with ESPN, which are the most capable and well known. But you could jump in with a less well known broadcaster, like Fox, and give away over half the money.
The Big Ten Network (BTN) is an American regional sports network that is owned as a joint venture between the Big Ten Conference (which owns 49% of the network) and the Fox Entertainment Group subsidiary of 21st Century Fox (which owns a controlling 51% interest), and is operated by Fox Sports. It is the first internationally distributed network dedicated to covering a single collegiate athletic conference. Dedicated to sports and other programming from the Big Ten, the network's lineup includes telecasts of Big Ten events, archived events involving schools in the conference, studio shows, coach's shows, documentaries and other programming related to the conference.

Or you could partner will all of them:
The Big Ten has television contracts with Walt Disney DIS -0.53%‘s ABC/ESPN , the Big Ten Network, CBS CBS -1.97% and Fox . Disney, which has first-tier rights, is paying $1 billion for 10 years through the 2016-17 season. The Big 10 Network (51% owned by Fox and 49% owned by the conference), which has second-tier rights, is paying $2.8 billion through 2031-32 (excluding profit distributions). Fox is paying $145 million over six seasons for the Football Championship Game through 2016.

No, ESPN does not have more of a handle on the SEC than it does the others.
 

TexasBred

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 3, 2008
Messages
4,364
Reaction score
0
Location
Heart of Texas
Mike said:
Or you could partner will all of them:
The Big Ten has television contracts with Walt Disney DIS -0.53%‘s ABC/ESPN , the Big Ten Network, CBS CBS -1.97% and Fox . Disney, which has first-tier rights, is paying $1 billion for 10 years through the 2016-17 season. The Big 10 Network (51% owned by Fox and 49% owned by the conference), which has second-tier rights, is paying $2.8 billion through 2031-32 (excluding profit distributions). Fox is paying $145 million over six seasons for the Football Championship Game through 2016.

Looks almost like "whoring". :wink:
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
TexasBred said:
Mike said:
Or you could partner will all of them:
The Big Ten has television contracts with Walt Disney DIS -0.53%‘s ABC/ESPN , the Big Ten Network, CBS CBS -1.97% and Fox . Disney, which has first-tier rights, is paying $1 billion for 10 years through the 2016-17 season. The Big 10 Network (51% owned by Fox and 49% owned by the conference), which has second-tier rights, is paying $2.8 billion through 2031-32 (excluding profit distributions). Fox is paying $145 million over six seasons for the Football Championship Game through 2016.

Looks almost like "whoring". :wink:

Some "waller for a dollar". Some don't. :wink:
 

Latest posts

Top