• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Origin of Grazing Fee's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

I saw something in one of Flounders posts that got me curious to the origin of the grazing fees- and how they are set....

And what do I find- its true--- the grazing fees that the radical rightwingernut extremists and Tea Party's new Bundy hero refuses to pay were put in place by that Liberal extremist PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN!!!
And by EXECUTIVE ORDER...

Boy this is sounding more and more like a leftwingernut conspiracy to get old Cliven Bundy! I wonder if Reagan and Reid were in bed together in this conspiracy to get Bundy :???: :wink: :roll: :p :lol: :lol:

Executive Order 12548 -- Grazing Fees

February 14, 1986

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, and in order to provide for establishment of appropriate fees for the grazing of domestic livestock on public rangelands, it is ordered as follows:

Section 1. Determination of Fees. The Secretaries of Agriculture and the Interior are directed to exercise their authority, to the extent permitted by law under the various statutes they administer, to establish fees for domestic livestock grazing on the public rangelands which annually equals the $1.23 base established by the 1966 Western Livestock Grazing Survey multiplied by the result of the Forage Value Index (computed annually from data supplied by the Statistical Reporting Service) added to the Combined Index (Beef Cattle Price Index minus the Prices Paid Index) and divided by 100; provided, that the annual increase or decrease in such fee for any given year shall be limited to not more than plus or minus 25 percent of the previous year's fee, and provided further, that the fee shall not be less than $1.35 per animal unit month.

Sec. 2. Definitions. As used in this Order, the term:

(a) ``Public rangelands'' has the same meaning as in the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978 (Public Law 95 - 514);

(b) ``Forage Value Index'' means the weighted average estimate of the annual rental charge per head per month for pasturing cattle on private rangelands in the 11 Western States (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, and California) (computed by the Statistical Reporting Service from the June Enumerative Survey) divided by $3.65 and multiplied by 100;

© ``Beef Cattle Price Index'' means the weighted average annual selling price for beef cattle (excluding calves) in the 11 Western States (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, and California) for November through October (computed by the Statistical Reporting Service) divided by $22.04 per hundred weight and multiplied by 100; and

(d) ``Prices Paid Index'' means the following selected components from the Statistical Reporting Service's Annual National Index of Prices Paid by Farmers for Goods and Services adjusted by the weights indicated in parentheses to reflect livestock production costs in the Western States: 1. Fuels and Energy (14.5); 2. Farm and Motor Supplies (12.0); 3. Autos and Trucks (4.5); 4. Tractors and Self-Propelled Machinery (4.5); 5. Other Machinery (12.0); 6. Building and Fencing Materials (14.5); 7. Interest (6.0); 8. Farm Wage Rates (14.0); 9. Farm Services (18.0).

Sec. 3. Any and all existing rules, practices, policies, and regulations relating to the administration of the formula for grazing fees in section 6(a) of the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978 shall continue in full force and effect.

Sec. 4. This Order shall be effective immediately.

Ronald Reagan

The White House,

February 14, 1986.

Oldtimer said:
I saw something in one of Flounders posts that got me curious to the origin of the grazing fees- and how they are set....

And what do I find- its true--- the grazing fees that the radical rightwingernut extremists and Tea Party's new Bundy hero refuses to pay were put in place by that Liberal extremist PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN!!!

Boy this is sounding more and more like a leftwingernut conspiracy to get old Cliven Bundy! I wonder if Reagan and Reid were in bed together in this conspiracy to get Bundy :???: :wink: :roll: :p :lol: :lol:

February 14, 1986

By the authority vested in me as President by the Constitution and laws of the United States of America, and in order to provide for establishment of appropriate fees for the grazing of domestic livestock on public rangelands, it is ordered as follows:

Section 1. Determination of Fees. The Secretaries of Agriculture and the Interior are directed to exercise their authority, to the extent permitted by law under the various statutes they administer, to establish fees for domestic livestock grazing on the public rangelands which annually equals the $1.23 base established by the 1966 Western Livestock Grazing Survey multiplied by the result of the Forage Value Index (computed annually from data supplied by the Statistical Reporting Service) added to the Combined Index (Beef Cattle Price Index minus the Prices Paid Index) and divided by 100; provided, that the annual increase or decrease in such fee for any given year shall be limited to not more than plus or minus 25 percent of the previous year's fee, and provided further, that the fee shall not be less than $1.35 per animal unit month.

(a) ``Public rangelands'' has the same meaning as in the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978 (Public Law 95 - 514);

(b) ``Forage Value Index'' means the weighted average estimate of the annual rental charge per head per month for pasturing cattle on private rangelands in the 11 Western States (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, and California) (computed by the Statistical Reporting Service from the June Enumerative Survey) divided by $3.65 and multiplied by 100;

© ``Beef Cattle Price Index'' means the weighted average annual selling price for beef cattle (excluding calves) in the 11 Western States (Montana, Idaho, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, and California) for November through October (computed by the Statistical Reporting Service) divided by $22.04 per hundred weight and multiplied by 100; and

(d) ``Prices Paid Index'' means the following selected components from the Statistical Reporting Service's Annual National Index of Prices Paid by Farmers for Goods and Services adjusted by the weights indicated in parentheses to reflect livestock production costs in the Western States: 1. Fuels and Energy (14.5); 2. Farm and Motor Supplies (12.0); 3. Autos and Trucks (4.5); 4. Tractors and Self-Propelled Machinery (4.5); 5. Other Machinery (12.0); 6. Building and Fencing Materials (14.5); 7. Interest (6.0); 8. Farm Wage Rates (14.0); 9. Farm Services (18.0).

Sec. 3. Any and all existing rules, practices, policies, and regulations relating to the administration of the formula for grazing fees in section 6(a) of the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978 shall continue in full force and effect.

Ronald Reagan

The White House,

February 14, 1986.

Once again, you are chortling with glee anytime you can get anything on a Republican or a Christian. Have at it.

Soapweed said:
Oldtimer said:

February 14, 1986

Ronald Reagan

The White House,

February 14, 1986.

Once again, you are chortling with glee anytime you can get anything on a Republican or a Christian. Have at it.

Again you are wrong-- I'm chortling at glee at dumb folks that "ride for the brand" but can't accept that their brand does the exact same thing they are making up wild "governments gonna get us" conspiracies about their opposition !!! :wink: :lol: :(

Yep- old Liberal Ronnie signed on to the whole BLM act- including continuing the part/Act giving the BLM law enforcement authority which was in the law the famed Liberal President Gerald Ford signed...

Which makes this a total Liberal Leftwingernut conspiracy to take over the west.... :wink: :roll: :p :lol: :lol:

Ohhhhh....dat gonna leave a mark!!!

Good work OT!! You gave them their answer. Funny how they get all pizzy when it's NOT the one they imagined.

I don't care if you are a R or a D...government needs to be reined in. Oh OT and your girlfriend that must have hurt to hear someone on here that disagrees with the brand. I can think for myself without being labeled a R or D. I do vote more R as most of the policy I believe in.

OT I bet you don't agree with your wife on everything....so does that make her an (insert dirty name as OT likes to use them)??

ranch hand said:
I don't care if you are a R or a D...government needs to be reined in. Oh OT and your girlfriend that must have hurt to here someone on here that disagrees with the brand. I can think for myself without being labeled a R or D. I do vote more R as most of the policy I believe in.

OT I bet you don't agree with your wife on everything....so does that make her an (insert dirty name as OT likes to use them)??[/quote

I'm glad to hear that you claim to think on your own and not run with a pack. Good for you!!

That makes you an outsider here, like me.

Now, the others may see blood in the water with your statement.....and come for you. Just sayin'.......................... They are the pack!

Not worried....they think for themselves on here ( the ones you are putting down) :) I do not like our president and feel his has done more harm than any president in history. How is it working with Russia? That is a scary thought.

Bundy was fine with the arrangement he had until they served him with a "Desert Tortoise Protection Order" in 1993, I believe.

You do understand that 1993 came after 1986 don't you?

Let's see, that would have been during the reign of Clinton when he was poking cigars in the help's orifices and saving the world from itself?

Here's a book you should read OT...you might learn some of the reasons why things were done

Ronald Reagan and the Public Lands: America's Conservation Debate, 1979-1984 (Environmental History Series)

http://www.amazon.com/Ronald-Reagan-Public-Lands-Environmental/dp/0890964114

Mike said:
Bundy was fine with the arrangement he had until they served him with a "Desert Tortoise Protection Order" in 1993, I believe.

You do understand that 1993 came after 1986 don't you?

Let's see, that would have been during the reign of Clinton when he was poking cigars in the help's orifices and saving the world from itself?

The question was the origin of Grazing Fees.

You do understand that, don't ya?

But Ronnie didn't ORIGINATE Grazing Fees. He only set a minimum and a maximum and a way to calculate them to be fair for all.

Federal Grazing Fee

The Federal grazing fee, which applies to Federal lands in 16 Western states on public lands managed by the BLM and the U.S. Forest Service, is adjusted annually and is calculated by using a formula originally set by Congress in the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978. Under this formula, as modified and extended by a presidential Executive Order issued in 1986, the grazing fee cannot fall below $1.35 per animal unit month (AUM); also, any fee increase or decrease cannot exceed 25 percent of the previous year's level. (An AUM is the amount of forage needed to sustain one cow and her calf, one horse, or five sheep or goats for a month.) The grazing fee for 2014 is $1.35 per AUM, the same level as it was in 2013.

The Federal grazing fee is computed by using a 1966 base value of $1.23 per AUM for livestock grazing on public lands in Western states. The figure is then adjusted each year according to three factors – current private grazing land lease rates, beef cattle prices, and the cost of livestock production. In effect, the fee rises, falls, or stays the same based on market conditions, with livestock operators paying more when conditions are better and less when conditions have declined.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/grazing.html

You do understand that don't you? :roll:

Oldtimer said:

No, they were put in place by Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978, this executive order 12548, is only a reformulation of those fees, as to protect ranchers, from an overzealous Government.

Reagan believed in giving these rangelands back to the rightful owners, the state

hypocritexposer said:
Oldtimer said:

No, they were put in place by Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978, this executive order 12548, is only a reformulation of those fees, as to protect ranchers, from an overzealous Government.

Reagan believed in giving these rangelands back to the rightful owners, the state

OT's IQ is most likely is lower than his age. :shock:

No way in hell he's coming back to this post and admitting he was wrong again. :roll:

ranch hand said:
I don't care if you are a R or a D...government needs to be reined in. Oh OT and your girlfriend that must have hurt to hear someone on here that disagrees with the brand. I can think for myself without being labeled a R or D. I do vote more R as most of the policy I believe in.

OT I bet you don't agree with your wife on everything....so does that make her an (insert dirty name as OT likes to use them)??

And I agree with you- that the federal government needs to be reined in in several areas- but don't believe throwing out the rule of law- creating anarchy- and trying to start the civil war the rightwingernut extremists want so they can go back to the pre civil war days is the way to go... Bundy calling in an army of armed extremists to go against long standing law and legal court orders signed by a sitting federal judge being carried out by legal federal law enforcement agents is not the hero I want to crawl into his den with...

And then this comedy of everyone blaming Obama and just the Dems for all these laws that were actually signed by Ford and Reagan is just the topper... :wink: :lol: Another shoot from the hip move- in which they end up shooting their own horse... :wink: :lol:
Actually- now that I think back, if memory serves me right- the greatest expansion of BLM- and their law enforcement was during Reagans reign....

And again we agree- as I have no political brand I ride for either- and have always been Independent... I have voted R much more than D- altho anymore they all look more like crooks- and I agree more with the Libertarian parties economic, foreign aid/involvement, and social tolerance policies than I do with either of the main parties...

But just like I don't always agree with my wife- I don't always agree with the Libertarians...
That's what happens when you think for yourself- and just don't do what the boss's of "the brand you ride for" tell you to...

Mike said:
But Ronnie didn't ORIGINATE Grazing Fees. He only set a minimum and a maximum and a way to calculate them to be fair for all.

Federal Grazing Fee

The Federal grazing fee, which applies to Federal lands in 16 Western states on public lands managed by the BLM and the U.S. Forest Service, is adjusted annually and is calculated by using a formula originally set by Congress in the Public Rangelands Improvement Act of 1978. Under this formula, as modified and extended by a presidential Executive Order issued in 1986, the grazing fee cannot fall below $1.35 per animal unit month (AUM); also, any fee increase or decrease cannot exceed 25 percent of the previous year's level. (An AUM is the amount of forage needed to sustain one cow and her calf, one horse, or five sheep or goats for a month.) The grazing fee for 2014 is $1.35 per AUM, the same level as it was in 2013.

The Federal grazing fee is computed by using a 1966 base value of $1.23 per AUM for livestock grazing on public lands in Western states. The figure is then adjusted each year according to three factors – current private grazing land lease rates, beef cattle prices, and the cost of livestock production. In effect, the fee rises, falls, or stays the same based on market conditions, with livestock operators paying more when conditions are better and less when conditions have declined.

http://www.blm.gov/wo/st/en/prog/grazing.html

You do understand that don't you? :roll:

I'm not sure he is intelligent enough to understand the portion he bolded...

OT wrote:
And then this comedy of everyone blaming Obama and just the Dems for all these laws that were actually signed by Ford and Reagan is just the topper.

And he STILL continues to lie!!!!! :roll:

And I agree with you- that the federal government needs to be reined in in several areas-

but how do you rein them in if you are complying..

beyond that they (DC) do not care..

it is only when a huge stink is made that they notice..

We as the TEA party had permits,.. were peaceful,.. and yet.. DC didn't care.. and certainly didn't listen..

We elected TEA party members to represent US,.. and they are denounced by liberal and the more liberal establishment elite in our own party..

why is it that it takes a threat of violence for DC to care, let alone listen?

kolanuraven said:
Ohhhhh....dat gonna leave a mark!!!

Good work OT!! You gave them their answer. Funny how they get all pizzy when it's NOT the one they imagined.

Wrong again Pocahontas. He was lying. Sorry. Maybe one day you'll learn. :lol:

Latest posts