• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Orphan-No-More

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
Thanks to Soapweed and others for recommending this product. Toward the end of last calving season I ordered some Orphan-No-More from the States (it's not available in Canada) but did not have the opportunity to try it.
Yesterday morning we had a cow calving in the barn. Upon checking in on her we found her cleaning off a dead calf. Hard to say the cause, if I were a betting man I'd wager it was the old bag over the head trick. Anyway, I pulled the calf out of her stall up to the hospital end of things and considered skinning it and putting the hide on the 3 day old twin calf that was bellering away across the alley from the cow. But then I remembered Soapweed's recommendation so I took the twin, watered her down fairly good with a bottle of water, rubbed a liberal amount of product from ears to arse and slid the calf so just it's back was in the stall with the cow. The cow came and smelled and was instantly interested so I pushed the calf the rest of the way in and the rest is history.
Was it just good luck? I don't know for sure, but I know I will try it again when the circumstances warrant it.

Hey Silver; Where did you get it from? Did they ship it directly to you or did you have to get a friend to bring it up for you? I would be interested in trying some, but the place I contacted said that they could not send it to Canada.

turning grass into beef said:
Hey Silver; Where did you get it from? Did they ship it directly to you or did you have to get a friend to bring it up for you? I would be interested in trying some, but the place I contacted said that they could not send it to Canada.

It was shipped directly to me, but who it was escapes my memory although Valley Vet comes to mind. I do recall that many places wouldn't ship to Canada. I'm not sure it's BSE approved :???:

edit to add: After a bit of searching I see it on Amazon and they claim to ship it to Canada

It's good stuff. I'd hate to go back to ranching when we didn't have O-No-Mo, esophageal milk feeders, powdered colostrum, Hydra-Bed pickups, and Polaris Rangers. These five items have vastly improved ranching in modern times. :)

turning grass into beef said:
Valley Vet is who I tried, but they won't ship it to Canada. I will give Amazon a try. Thanks
how much of the 9 oz. bottle do you use per calf?

Soapweed could speak better to this than I, but the instructions say a liberal amount, like a couple of ounces. I think you really want to work into the hair from ears to down over the rear where mom likes to sniff while the calf is sucking.

Faster horses said:
bmstein said:
Soapweed, you were tougher when I worked for you.

He was tough enough to contract West Nile and live to tell about it.

I must not be too tough. Most people that get West Nile feel a little under the weather for a couple days, and then they are over it. The darn stuff just about killed me.

Soapweed said:
Faster horses said:
bmstein said:
Soapweed, you were tougher when I worked for you.

He was tough enough to contract West Nile and live to tell about it.

I must not be too tough. Most people that get West Nile feel a little under the weather for a couple days, and then they are over it. The darn stuff just about killed me.

Yes, it was a scary time, even for us here on ranchers.net. I think you got a 'double dose' from the mosquitoes.
Best not to minimize it, you could have done the unthinkable.

We know several guys who got West Nile about the same time as Soapweed. They lived through it, but believe some were very sick, but not nearly so seriously as Soapweed. And they were all in their '60s.

That is a tough illness to go through. Another one is Shingles. I had a relatively mild case, and it was among the worst pain I've had, mostly on my back, but the rash was on my stomach and didn't bother much. Now, one of our dau-in-laws has it on her face. That is pretty dangerous because it can affect the eyes pretty seriously. Docs are watching it very closely.

mrj

Had to bring this back. Bought some of the product this spring and had a chance to use it with fall herd on cow that lost calf to scours. Cow is one of those foxy old girls that does not take another calf other than her own, period. Had a heifer that wasn't milking enough to feed her calf. Smeared powder over cow's nose and rubbed deep into calf head and backline. Cow accepted it immediately and never looked back. Damn good thing to have in cabinet.

Latest posts