• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Osama slips through Bush's hands

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Disagreeable

Reaction score
Link below; my emphasis.

"But in a forthcoming book, the CIA field commander for the agency's Jawbreaker team at Tora Bora, Gary Berntsen, says he and other U.S. commanders did know that bin Laden was among the hundreds of fleeing Qaeda and Taliban members. Berntsen says he had definitive intelligence that bin Laden was holed up at Tora Bora—intelligence operatives had tracked him—and could have been caught. "He was there," Berntsen tells NEWSWEEK. Asked to comment on Berntsen's remarks, National Security Council spokesman Frederick Jones passed on 2004 statements from former CENTCOM commander Gen. Tommy Franks. "We don't know to this day whether Mr. bin Laden was at Tora Bora in December 2001," Franks wrote in an Oct. 19 New York Times op-ed. "Bin Laden was never within our grasp." Berntsen says Franks is "a great American. But he was not on the ground out there. I was."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8853000/site/newsweek/

Well, let's see. The guy selling the book claims that there was intelligence that bin Laden was in Tora Bora, and General Franks claims there was no such definitive evidence. Actually, "Bin Laden was never within our grasp." But just think, if there had been a massive invasion to search the mountains, caves, etc... and it didn't pan out, you would have had one more thing to bitch about. Win, win situation!

Cal said:
Well, let's see. The guy selling the book claims that there was intelligence that bin Laden was in Tora Bora, and General Franks claims there was no such definitive evidence. Actually, "Bin Laden was never within our grasp." But just think, if there had been a massive invasion to search the mountains, caves, etc... and it didn't pan out, you would have had one more thing to bitch about. Win, win situation!

No, "Berntsen says Franks is "a great American. But he was not on the ground out there. I was." HE WAS ON THE GROUND. FRANKS WASN'T.

Latest posts