• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Our bigger branding day.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tap

Reaction score
We did our biggest bunch of calves today. Had a great day for it, as it was cool and not windy either. :)

Branding smaller bunches as Soapweed does is much more relaxing, and less stressful, but we got the job done in good time and branded a lot of calves today.

Looks like it will be a good day.

ranch1076.jpg

Head 'em up.....

ranch1079.jpg

Move 'em out.....

ranch1086.jpg

Got most of the calves sorted off, now let's get to branding.

ranch1090.jpg

A couple of the ropers.

ranch1100.jpg

Somebody will recognize this guy.

ranch1111.jpg

ranch1115.jpg

Good calf wrestler.

ranch1135.jpg

Roping sequence.

ranch1145.jpg

ranch1146.jpg

ranch1147.jpg

I drug a few.

brandleet049.jpg

Out on pasture.

ranch1119.jpg

Been real busy here lately, and time to hit the hay for the night.

It's always a good feeling to get a branding done and over with...You sure did have a great day...but how come you didn't get this wind??? I would of gladly sent ya some of it..lol Thanks

Jassy said:
It's always a good feeling to get a branding done and over with...You sure did have a great day...but how come you didn't get this wind??? I would of gladly sent ya some of it..lol Thanks
Yep, real good pics....and as for the wind, we were dodging funnel clouds down here today. One of the rental houses had 2 big trees blown over by it. One hit the roof a little bit but did no damage.

Cal said:
Jassy said:
Yep, real good pics....and as for the wind, we were dodging funnel clouds down here today. One of the rental houses had 2 big trees blown over by it. One hit the roof a little bit but did no damage.

I was talking with a fellow about 3:30 this afternoon when his daughter in Gillette called him- she said the sirens had gone off and she was waiting out the tornado warning in her basement....Never did hear if they actually had one...

Oldtimer said:
Cal said:
Jassy said:

I was talking with a fellow about 3:30 this afternoon when his daughter in Gillette called him- she said the sirens had gone off and she was waiting out the tornado warning in her basement....Never did hear if they actually had one...

Nephew said they got hail and maybe a funnel. He didn't enjoy it anyway.

We had a little cloud form up to the northwest and when it got here it was big and black and dropped 1.40 in about an hour. Neighbor just 3 miles north got over two inches and filled a small dam.

I just love rain. :wink:

:oops: Sorry guys, that ain't been gettin' any. Your turn is coming. :nod:

Neat pics..........the last is "suitable for framin".........

Nice pics! But with all these branding pics I have to ask, am I the only one who uses a calf table instead of ropes and horses?

Bward said:
Nice pics! But with all these branding pics I have to ask, am I the only one who uses a calf table instead of ropes and horses?

I think a few still do around here.

Those who don't like to neighbor or don't care to use horses.

Bward said:

One of our neighbors runs an efficient operation using a calf table. They can process calves faster with this than we can with our "calf trap" wheels. But we still get to rope. :wink:

JFcalf.jpg

Jinglebob said:
Bward said:

I think a few still do around here.

Those who don't like to neighbor or don't care to use horses.

Around here if we branded we would probably have to ue the calf table at least for a while just because you would have to build up the suply of folks who could help brand the rope and drag way to do it.. Not a matter of not wanting to neighbor just a fact of not having a lot of cattle neighbors and even fewer who ride horses and none who brand (except some freeze branding in the fall) anymore.. We have given thought to branding when the kids are a little older and we both get a little more comfy and confident on the horses but until than it will take some time.. I am hoping to get it set up sometime though... Might be an interesting community event to try to get going, lol..

Thanks for sharing, Tap. We are finding it more and more difficult finding help who can rope. We've been getting people from 70 mi from here to help - they don't mind because we brand end of October and people are sick of shipping. Most of our neighbors have sold out to absentee owners who come up a couple times a year to hunt.

We might start doing it Soap's way........

great pic's tap
i love big brandings when you can get lots of good hands to help and the kids always seem to get a big education on those days
but i'm confused
you were dragging calves at your own branding???????????????

don't know who that fella is that someone was soppsed to recognize but he looks like he could be from my country

glad ya'll had another good day
until later
jerry

Doug Thorson said:
What's the scoop Tap, not a baldie in the bunch? I know you have at least 2 Hereford bulls.

We have 3 herefords, but we used them on our later calving herd. We will brand them in a couple of weeks. They all were born easy, and look good so far.

Our main herd (in these pictures) is strictly angus, and we will probably keep the replacements for the later herd from those cows in the future.

Jerry H said:
great pic's tap
i love big brandings when you can get lots of good hands to help and the kids always seem to get a big education on those days
but i'm confused
you were dragging calves at your own branding???????????????

don't know who that fella is that someone was soppsed to recognize but he looks like he could be from my country

glad ya'll had another good day
until later
jerry

Jerry, I was worried somone would give me grief about roping at our own branding, and you did. Actually, I only roped a few on the last bunch. But it was fun to rope at home once. We had 9 ropers, and 6 sets of calf wrestlers for a while, so I thought it might be my turn to rope a few towards the end.

The guy in the picture you mentioned has a blonde haired brother, but he is sort of dark isn't he? If someone hadn't of guessed it (fulton is right), my next clue was going to be that he and his brother used to spur the heck out of a bucking horse. They are very nice fellers. Mark lives in the neighborhood now, but he is from just south of here about 50 miles originally.

Latest posts