• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Our high, high standard of living

Help Support Ranchers.net:

do we have it bad today?

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

• I just want more stuff,

• wealth is about family

• Total voters

Steve

Reaction score
In the 1950s and 1960s, a working man could support a family at a middle-class standard of living with just one income. It might surprise you to learn that one person working full-time, even at minimum wage, can still support a family of four at that standard of living. Nowadays we call that "living in poverty."

In the early 1950s, fully two fifths of American households had no automobile, about a third did not have a private telephone or a television, and the homes of about a third of all Americans were dilapidated or were without running water or a private toilet and bath. Only a small minority of families enjoyed such basics as a mixer or had a hot-water heater.

Those dilapidated shacks without hot water improved over the years, but as late as 1970 the median single-family home was still less than 1400 square feet

I have a personal recollection of the 1960s and 1970s (I graduated from high school in 1977). My dad was a college professor and probably made a pretty good income, but we never had a standard of living as high as lots of "poor" folks seem to have now: We never had air conditioning. We didn't get a second car until I was in high school. We didn't get a color TV until I'd gone away to college. We never took vacations overseas. Eating out was for special occasions.
http://www.wisebread.com/our-high-high-standard-of-living-1

oh how soon we forget what we didn't have..

but then I grew up in a home with a black and white TV, no phone, no hot water, my wife had it worse, and she lived in a large city..

we need to quite moving the bar.. we easily have the highest standard of living in the world..

and yes.. I've seen alot of the world, (the real world) and not just a bunch of fancy hotels and resorts plucked down in the middle of a country for the US tourists..

Latest posts