• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Owly bunch

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hereford76

Reaction score
Phoned the MT BOL to inquire about formally putting issue on their agenda. Potential board acceptability of CAN tattoo vs brand on imports via Canada similair to other states... Anyhow the office sure is discouraging up front. Be curious what some of all you might have for comments on it. What's the odds on this?

More protectionists with fog in their eyes. Just wait until the beef comes in labeled Argentina and Brazil. Or how about the flavoured dog and rat meat that's stamped "Raised and Slaughtered in the USA, Processed and Packaged in CHINA" .......sold and consumed in Glasgow, Montana and the other 49 States.
A couple years of that and the knowledgeable, unbiased American consumer will be hunting down a piece of meat proclaimed a. " Product of Canada".
Then all the talk about CAN brands or tattoos will fade. Other than up here where we will want it. :wink:

It doesn't seem to have a long shelf life :shock:

usacoolbeef.jpg

Hereford76 ~ Montana only allows imports to carry a brand? Out of curiousity do you have a link to a State breakdown of brand or tattoo acceptance? Thanks in advance.

We sold 2 Galloway bulls into the US in 2011. One to Montana and one to Washington. Both had to be branded CAN on their hip. We argued over and over for tattoos because they were purebreds or going to be shown or any other angle we could think of - to no avail. Damn pain in the ass to have to do it - figuratively and literally.

bearvalley said:
More protectionists with fog in their eyes. Just wait until the beef comes in labeled Argentina and Brazil. Or how about the flavoured dog and rat meat that's stamped "Raised and Slaughtered in the USA, Processed and Packaged in CHINA" .......sold and consumed in Glasgow, Montana and the other 49 States.
A couple years of that and the knowledgeable, unbiased American consumer will be hunting down a piece of meat proclaimed a. " Product of Canada".
Then all the talk about CAN brands or tattoos will fade. Other than up here where we will want it. :wink:

Good example right here:

(CNN) -- Nestlé USA has issued a recall of two varieties of Philly Steak and Cheese Hot Pockets because they may contain meat that has already been recalled by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

The two brands are Hot Pockets brand Philly Steak and Cheese in three different pack sizes, and Hot Pockets brand Croissant Crust Philly Steak and Cheese in the two pack box.

For the exact batch code, please check this release.

The USDA recalled more than 8.7 million pounds of meat from the Rancho Feeding Corporation because it "processed diseased and unsound animals and carried out these activities without the benefit or full benefit of federal inspection."

No illnesses have been reported in relation to the recall.

According to Nestlé, consumers should return the products to the place of purchase for a full refund or contact Nestlé consumer services at 800-392-4057.

bearvalley said:

A few years ago I phoned the MT BOL office and asked somewhat similair question and was met with the same discouragement. But after visiting with the state vet he thought it should be put in front of the board and they voted on it and all but one board member approved it. What I don't get is I assume the folks answering the phones in the state offices are just citizen like anyone else. I remember thinking that it would go nowhere just from the discouragement from the first phone call. To be fair the board I thought was completely open minded about it. After that meeting I approached the fella that voted against what his reasoning was. Long story but it came off political IMO.

The other day when I simply asked what the protocol was to formally put something on there agenda was the fella that answered the phone asked where I was going I explained I was interested in the boards consideration on tattoo vs brand. I barley had the words out of my mouth and I listened to him discourage me. I didn't phone expecting to debate but the second I tried he cut me off and picked up the phone and asked for someone in the brands office and I could here him ask what I did and tells me the brand office said flat out no. It was very familiar conversation to the first time I called wanting to import non ocv females 20 months old direct into mt and approve adult bangs quarantined here.

The fella said the brand saves time and money when reading or ID Inge those cattle. How many times after the border vet ID's them are they ever ID'd again. They have eid tags. When I send cattle into their country they are t USA branded. Also I am under the impression once cattle go either way and spend 90 days in the other country they are then cattle of that country? I share a bull with a canadian born here and he went up and when he came back I had to import him as if he was a canadian bull and can brand him.

I guess I'd like to hear some reasons for brand and not tattoo. Other states take Canada cattle without brand. What are some reasons?

Latest posts