• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Paint me a picture

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jake

Reaction score
Having a heated debate with my father last night on management practices made me wonder. Through the tough/leaner times in the cattle industry what do you folks see as the management keys that differentiated people who made money and lost money. Whether it was calving seasons, culling practices, or whatever you thought were the keys to success/failure.

Jake said:
Having a heated debate with my father last night on management practices made me wonder. Through the tough/leaner times in the cattle industry what do you folks see as the management keys that differentiated people who made money and lost money. Whether it was calving seasons, culling practices, or whatever you thought were the keys to success/failure.

Raise the type of cattle that don't require a lot of "babying." Cull for performance, disposition, bad bags, bad feet, or any other undesirable traits. Strive for uniformity and the most saleable end product that you can. Persistence pays off. If one year doesn't make a profit, look back at what possibly went wrong, Tweak your program a bit, and keep on keeping on. It usually doesn't pay to make real major changes all at once, although Big Swede made a major change in calving dates, and it has worked out very well for him. The years usually average out for the best. Good luck.

A Basque rancher-lady gave us some great advice back in 1975. She said,
"when you make a little more, you can spend a little more; when you make a little less, spend a little less." She survived some really tough years and tough weather. They lost 800 head of sheep in one spring storm and survived that. :shock:

Never have more cattle than feed. Manage your grass as your most important crop and follow soapweeds advice.

Latest posts