• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pappy Boyington

Help Support Ranchers.net:

passin thru

Reaction score
Gregory Boyington "Pappy." He served as a combat pilot in World War II with the 1st Squadron, American Volunteer Group. This squadron was known as the Flying Tigers of China. Boyington later served as a combat pilot for the U.S. Marine Corps. He commanded Marine Fighting Squadron 214. It was called the Black Sheep Squadron and was later featured in a TV series called "Baa Baa, Black Sheep." Boyington shot down 26 Japanese aircraft while serving in the Pacific. He was later shot down and spent 20 months in a Japanese POW camp. For those of you who aren't up to par on World War II history, Japanese POW camps were not happy places. Torture .. .and we mean real torture, not stripping them naked and taking snapshots. After the war Pappy Boyington was awarded the Navy Cross and the Medal of Honor. He died in 1988. You can visit his grave in Arlington National Cemetery.

Pappy Boyington was a graduate of the University of Washington. Just recently the idea of erecting a memorial to this Medal of Honor winner at the University of Washington made its way to the student senate. Here you have an alumnus who served in World War II. was captured and held, and was later awarded the Medal of Honor and the Navy Cross. Perhaps some sort of monument would be a good idea!

Well .. not to Jill Edwards. -- http://senate.asuw.org/ -- Under old business there was a discussion of a resolution calling for a tribute to Pappy Boyington. Student senate member Jill Edwards immediately moved to table the resolution. She wanted other issues to be considered. Another member said that the issue was at the top of the agenda and should be dealt with. Jill's motion failed, but she wasn't through. There was then some discussion on why Andrew Everett, another student senate member, wanted the memorial. Everett responded that Colonel Boyington "had many of the qualities the University of Washington hoped to produce in its students." Well, I guess that might be true, if leadership and courage are considered to be good qualities. Anyway ... that's when Jill Edwards spoke up and showed her true colors. She questioned whether it was appropriate to honor a person who killed other people. Then the lovely Jill Edwards said that a member of the Marine Corps was not an example of the sort of person the University of Washington wanted to produce.

Jill Edwards, a Junior in Mathematics at the University of Washington, says that a U.S. Marine is not the example of the sort of person that the University of Washington wants to produce. To all of you men and women out there who have served with pride in the United States Marine Corps; to those of you who fought in World War II, Korea, Vietnam and the Middle East, Jill Edwards, student senate member at the University of Washington, thinks that you are unworthy to be graduates of the University of Washington.

And for those lefties who want to show their support for Jill <[email protected]>

POW.jpg

Thank you for your leftist comments. I will print them as I am going to the outhouse.

Thank you passin thru, I'm going to share that with my email friends, especially the relatives on the Puget Sound that are all tied to the Navy, my Marine father, Marine son, all my friends in the Air Force and the Army. Stevec, you probaly should not advertise how you want to be cremated, somebody will oblige you probably before your time.

Stevec has the same psychological problem as Disagreeable. It's an error to assume he wants to convince anybody or that he wants people to agree with him. He and Dis post with the purpose of attracting attention to themselves and getting a reaction out of people. As an added twist, they both seem to relish when people ridicule/dispute their logic. Did you notice that when people stopped replying to Disagreeable's posts, he/she stopped showing up?

Stevec: why do you like to feel persecuted? Does this fulfill your ego somehow?

mp.freelance said:
Stevec has the same psychological problem as Disagreeable. It's an error to assume he wants to convince anybody or that he wants people to agree with him. He and Dis post with the purpose of attracting attention to themselves and getting a reaction out of people. As an added twist, they both seem to relish when people ridicule/dispute their logic. Did you notice that when people stopped replying to Disagreeable's posts, he/she stopped showing up?

Stevec: why do you like to feel persecuted? Does this fulfill your ego somehow?

So lets all just ignore his posts or "shun" him, as it were. It damn sure works for me. I've got to where I ignore quite a few who post on here as reading what they write is just a tremendous waste of time.

maybe I see statues and monuments in a different light. I have stood on the Yorktown and watched old men cry ...I have walked where thousands of men walked before and could hear the cries of battle. I have stood explaining to a child that the picture they see was once the ship they are standing on and feel so safe on was in danger of being lost. How all the bunks they see were once filled with men who were dying and would never see their children again. To look in that childs eyes and see tears for the child who never saw their father again was heartbreaking. To see that child now a young man whos main goal in life is to be a sniper or do demolitions in the Marines.
Would he have felt deep in his heart what it takes to defend and keep this country free with OUT that memorial?
These places may be a waste of money to you BUT to many its a place of healing and comfort and insperation.

MsSage said:
maybe I see statues and monuments in a different light. I have stood on the Yorktown and watched old men cry ...I have walked where thousands of men walked before and could hear the cries of battle. I have stood explaining to a child that the picture they see was once the ship they are standing on and feel so safe on was in danger of being lost. How all the bunks they see were once filled with men who were dying and would never see their children again. To look in that childs eyes and see tears for the child who never saw their father again was heartbreaking. To see that child now a young man whos main goal in life is to be a sniper or do demolitions in the Marines.
Would he have felt deep in his heart what it takes to defend and keep this country free with OUT that memorial?
These places may be a waste of money to you BUT to many its a place of healing and comfort and insperation.

Very eloquent, MsSage. Memorials are one of the things that make us uniquely human.

If it weren't for men like Pappy Boyington, lowlifes like stevec and Jill Edwards wouldn't be free to run their big mouths without grave consequences, they just don't get. We owe so much to those that have kept us free, and so much to those doing so today. Not just in actual combat, but the thwarting of terrorism and plots that we may not be immediately aware of.

The right to free speech is one of the most important and fundamental rights of liberty. We support the right to free speech in all its forms. We also call for responsibility in exercising this right.
Good citizens know they're accountable for their actions (someone has said, "My right to swing my arm ends when my fist hits your nose"). There are those, however, who tend to forget that they also are held accountable for their words. That's how laws against libel and slander are sustained. Just as in life rules, limitations, and boundaries guard against physical anarchy (e.g., traffic laws, social graces), so too limitations exist to guard against verbal incivility.
Words have a power all their own. "Words can hurt. Words can heal. Therefore it is of the utmost importance that we pay attention to our words."
The advent of the Internet has seen a staggering growth in the potential for the freedom of speech and expression to people throughout the world. Sadly, in some quarters, this same freedom is being abused and used irresponsibly as a smoke screen to communicate in a vulgar, profane, violent, and insulting manner.
Dr. Alan Keyes "Freedom requires that at the end of the day, we accept the constraint that is required...."

Associated Students of the University of Washington
Student Senate
Session 12

Edwards Apology

WHEREAS Student Senator Jill Edwards offended all members of the United States Marine Corps, past or present, dead or alive; especially those who were, are, or will be students at the University of Washington with her comment that she "didn't believe a member of the Marine Corps was an example of the sort of person UW wanted to produce." This commented brought shame and dishonor to not only the UW Student Senate, but also the University as a whole, all its members who have served in the Marine Corps and all Marines past and present.
BE IT RESOLVED BY THE ASSOCIATED STUDENTS OF THE UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON:

THAT

Student Senator Jill Edwards will submit, in writing, a signed apology letter seeking forgiveness to all students, staff, and alumni who are now or ever have served in the United States Marine Corps. In said letter it will contain a formal apology and a recognition that her very rights and freedoms are guaranteed by such members of the armed services, to include the Marine Corps, Army, Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard, past or present, living or dead. Additionally, said letter will be printed in all its form and substance in that day's edition of the UW Daily newspaper as well as being recited on the UW Radio station. To realize her mistake, she must acquaint herself with the history of the person she is so keen to dismiss, by reading Col. Boyington's book, Baa, Baa, Black Sheep. All of these requirements are mandatory, under pain of losing her seat on the Student Senate.

History of Legislation

02/15/2006: Submitted for consideration

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------stevec really ought to do and realize the same.

Cal said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------stevec really ought to do and realize the same.

It would hardly matter, since that little bitch probably didn't mean it anyway - a forced apology isn't really an apology. Stories like that always make me glad my college days are over - higher learning has largely turned into mass indoctrination. I had some good professors, but a lot of what they teach you is just drivel that you're expected to repeat mindlessly.

Stevec: What should we have done with the Japanese when they bombed Pearl Harbor? Invited them to our country for tea? For an educated man you seem to not understand that they wanted to destroy the counrty that gives you the freedom to say and print the garbage that you do. I am not really sure you are for real. I think you just like the attention of being the village idiot. Notice that I am not calling you a village idiot.

Latest posts