• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasteurella vaccines?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tom4018

Reaction score
How many of you use a Pasteurella vaccine?
Our vet suggested it for the lightweight calves we buy. If you use it, which one?

One Shot Ultra 7 is what I have in my fridge right now to do my calf fall shots. Pasteurella and 7 way clostridial in one shot. Also have Bovi-Shield Gold 5 dry powder and Somubac to use as the diluent to cover the 5 way virus and Haemophillus in one shot. All Pfizer products.

I can give these MLV vaccines to my calves while nursing pregnant cows because I gave the cows MLV PregGuard FP10 in the spring. Never give MLV vaccines to calves nursing pregnant cows unless the cows are current on their vaccinations.

Any harm to doing say 150 - 200 lb. calves? Vet suggested it as part of our program on new calves we buy.

We use One Shot. They took the One Shot/Ultra combo off the market here. We give the Ultrabac 8 separately. The vaccine works very well, but it can give a pretty good lump if you accidentally get it in the muscle.

We do calves as young as a month old with the whole Pfizer program, and it works just fine. Very seldom have sick calves at weaning. In fact, now that I think about it, we haven't had one since we went on the program, other than calves that were born in the pasture and didn't get spring vaccinations.

We wouldn't be without it.

What does the FP in Bovishield Gold FP 5 stand for?
Freeze-dried preparation?
But plain Bovishield Gold 5 is also a freeze-dried preparation, isn't it?

http://www.bovi-shieldgold.com/display.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=G3&species=OO&sec=500

The P stands for pregnant?

lightninboy said:
What does the FP in Bovishield Gold FP 5 stand for?
Freeze-dried preparation?
But plain Bovishield Gold 5 is also a freeze-dried preparation, isn't it?

http://www.bovi-shieldgold.com/display.asp?country=US&lang=EN&drug=G3&species=OO&sec=500

The P stands for pregnant?

Fetal Protection

We use Presponse SQ. When we pre-condition, all our calves get this once, along with a 2nd dose of Alpha-7 and Cattlemaster Gold FP5.

Our veterinarian has recommended something else, I will post when I have the actual name of the vaccine.

Hanta Yo said:
We use Presponse SQ. When we pre-condition, all our calves get this once, along with a 2nd dose of Alpha-7 and Cattlemaster Gold FP5.

Our veterinarian has recommended something else, I will post when I have the actual name of the vaccine.

OK it is Vista Once SQ by Intervet. I don't know what the cost is.

on shippies pasturella is a no brainer. I use polybac a/b. problem with all in 1 shots is they have the chance to overwhelm the lymph nodes near the injetion site, thus lowered efficacy. with peewees like 150# you will likely get decent response, but there is a point where too young lowers efficacy

most shippie mortalties are from pasturella - its a secondary infection that invades when the shippie fights a primary infection

Latest posts