• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasture raised sheep operation

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mill Iron A

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to invest and start a sheep operation as a way of bringing in enough income to take my family back to the cattle ranch and rais e the little ones there. My question is this: We don't have barns to lamb out in so I need to do it out on pasture, I'm in WY so harsh winters so spring/summer lambing seems to be surfacing. I would like to winter graze as much as possible and finish the lambs out on grass. I have the capability of getting shearing services as there are a couple 1500 plus ewe operations in the area that I could coordinate with. What breeds should I use,where should I market, any advice would be great!

Mill Iron A said:
I have the opportunity to invest and start a sheep operation as a way of bringing in enough income to take my family back to the cattle ranch and rais e the little ones there. My question is this: We don't have barns to lamb out in so I need to do it out on pasture, I'm in WY so harsh winters so spring/summer lambing seems to be surfacing. I would like to winter graze as much as possible and finish the lambs out on grass. I have the capability of getting shearing services as there are a couple 1500 plus ewe operations in the area that I could coordinate with. What breeds should I use,where should I market, any advice would be great!
I'm sure Jody can help you on most of this...around here they just started lambing out on the range a few weeks ago just as shearing got done. We have tough spring weather here in western WY too but these guys with sheep on the range got it figured our pretty well. If you are on Facebook look up Cat Urbigkit. They have been running sheep for years just south of Pinedale and she is a wealth of knowledge.

I run white fine wooled ewes, and a few really fine white wool rams for replace ewes. Then the rest of the rams I would use black face to get crossbred smut faced lambs. Then I would try and fine some Mountain States Lamb coop stock for sale and sell finished lamb thru them.
http://www.mslamb.com/

Latest posts