• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasture rent

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Gomez

Reaction score
What is a sustainable pasture rental rate and type of arrangement? Is it per pair per day, grasser per day, lb of gain or $ per acre or per season? Assume renter and landlord both want a long term relationship and both want to make some money. Thank you for your thoughts and experiences. For a bench mark cultivated land is $35/ acre cash rent basis in our area.

FWIW - around here you probably start at $1. For my money you are better to rent by the acre.
We have some long term agreements set up this way on places that used to rent by $/cow/day. We set it up initially that we paid the same $ amount, but it was per acre. That way everyone knows they are getting a fair deal to start. Then we have managed a bit carefully and have doubled the capacity. We have increased the rent about 20%, but increased the carrying capacity 100%+. That way the landowner makes more, the land gets better and our cost per day goes down. It is a win:win:win.
For $35 per acre cultivated I am not sure I wouldn't rent that and graze barley.

Latest posts