• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pasture

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jake

Reaction score
Is anybody else having HUGE issues finding grass to rent or buy either way? I've got all sorts of realtors looking, plus I"m looking, plus my grandpa is listening, I'm trying to find ANYTHING but sure can't get ahold of anything... starts getting old now that we're in the 3rd year of this hunt....

yep i have the same problem either its in small chunks, or they want to much for it and if it comes up for rent someone has already spoken for it. I know how ya feel it isn't fun and is a bit discouraging. Keep an open mind and something will come open.[/quote]

Same boat quit often. It's tough being somewhat of a nomad on finding grass. You think you have a good deal and then they move and new owners have new plans. DOmetimes I am feeding a bunch through the spring trying to get it all straightened out,

PPRM

I have a friend that rents some big grasslands in Mo. by Arkansas standards. He usually rents 1000 to 3000 acres which will run enough cows to make his trip worthwhile. He has rented it as low as $6 per cow in the last three years. It is usually more but still a good deal.

I'm kinda curious as to what value per cowunit producers are willing to spend to purchase grazing land in different areas! It's really tough to get a feel for land values here at present with the severely depressed ag market!

cowsense said:
I'm kinda curious as to what value per cowunit producers are willing to spend to purchase grazing land in different areas! It's really tough to get a feel for land values here at present with the severely depressed ag market!

Around here land is going for around 300 to 400 an aqcre and it takes about 20 to 25 acers to run a pair for a year.

Pairs put out in the summer are anywhere from 22 to 32 per month.

Don't know about lease as there ain't any.

I will get from 15 to 18 per hd a month for yearlings, depending on the weight of the cattle when they go on grass.

I am almost in the center of the western half of SD and a little bit north. Hope this helps.

Same here pasture hard to find. If you do find some the fence can be the big issue, being in poor condition, Farmland even harder to find. I have seen ads asking not to put your crp back in crp but to rent it out for farming (higher rent than crp).

Pasture is getting more scarce in our area, but still not too bad. We rent out 5 quarters to a fella for $1 a day. We check fence and cows. He lives 2.5 hours from here, so it's the way it needs to be. Stocking rates are anywhere from 10-25 acres per c/c unit per year. Yearlings usually run in that 75-80 cents per day, and good pasture land - which is a matter of opinion - sells for $300-1000 per acre.

what I'd really like to find is some grass for about $.80-$.85 a day so that it competes with just keeping the cows in the lot on a self feeder price wise.... starting to look very attractive....

In the last ten to fifteen years it seems all of the fences have been bulldozed.

Bare ground around here is bringing from $5,000 to $10,000 per acre - - - I can't figure how it is going to pay for itself.

If you can find ground around here you can fine 3 acre patches ( zoning requires you own 5 acres to build a house) that you can bale free if you want it.

Just another case of "do gooders" protecting our ground. Now the new law went in effect and you must now buy 20 acre patches to build - - - it has slowed the building down some.

Jake, I drylotted some cows the past few years, and I think it is the way to go if you have enough brome and summer grazing to bounce them on and off . seemed to be a hassle the first year, but then I kind of liked having them closer to home.

with the hunters buying up all the grass and keeping cattle off of it so the birds can flourish, we got to start thinking outside the box!

I'm starting to think that I may convince grandpa to put 6 bar continuous fencing around a big portion of the home quarter that is not pasture but hay and crop and dry lot them on that. We could run 500 cows doing that and need a hundreth the space. The only issue that I see is if the calves grow out I know quite a few calves get the "lot look" and don't do well. Also talked about planting another farm to alfalfa and running them year round on it.

Latest posts