• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

PECANS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
If I see one more Pecan I think I'll go insane! I hate them damn little nuts. My trees are LOADED with them and they are falling off begging to be picked up but they are a pain! I've picked up a bud light box full of them (one of the big 20 pack bottles boxes) and that didn't even make a dent on just the one tree!!! I still have like 5 other trees to go!

I always pick them up and take them home to South Dakota over Christmas and give them to my gramma, mom and whoever. My mom usually gives them to neighbors or whatever. My gramma will sit there and shell each one very diligently and then sack them up and freeze them. She is going to be 91 soon so i'm glad she is able to still do it. She is healthier than I am so she has no problem doing it.

Mom says i should sell them.....but who and how? I barely have time to pick them up off the ground let alone track someone down to buy em.

Wasn't there one of you from Montana that wanted some pecans? If you'll pay the shipping I'm sure we could work something out. Anyway, I'll get off my Pecan cussing now.........

Oh did i mention I hate them little nuts....they don't even taste good!

Hope all had a happy thanksgiving!

do none of the feed stores in your area buy them? most of them around here do.

Onw of my dearest aunts is from Georgia. Whenever I see Pecan pie,I think of her. Too bad my wife isn't a Pecan Pie Cook,

PPRM

Well I went and picked up under another tree tonight......filled another beer box! Now don't go thinking I'm an alcoholic....i'm not....i just happen to save things...and beer boxes have numerous uses!

The pecans i picked up tonight arn't as big as the first ones. They are from a different tree. They taste good tho I guess as far as pecans go. My dogs like em. I nibbled on a couple and they taste like a pecan....

I think my dog had to many tonight tho....cause i found a little pile of yak under my coffee table that looked suspiciously like pecan yak.......eww

Tibbs you need to get yerself a pecan picker upper thingy, they sell em at true value, looks kinda like a slinky on a stick.........if you go ask em for that they'll know what I"m talkin about...least then you dont hafta bend over...ya just walk around pokin at em and they fill up the lil thang...then ya dump it....My dad, is a big pecan picker upper.....Shells em and then brings em to me all nice, neat, shelled, in zip lock baggies.....
Haha your close enuff to him, he'd prolly take some off your hands.

Out of shear curiosity i weighed what i picked up today.....just shy of 25 pounds!

I've seen them pecan picker upper thingy's....i've often wondered if they would work. I usually just get down on all fours and crawl around like an old coon or something rooting around. There are just as many in the trees as thee are on the ground......I need one of them pecan tree shaker thingies is what i need.

Another gripe......this yard i have has ooooodles of pecan trees in it....and it has 3 fruitless mullberry trees! Yes, FRUITLESS!!! What kind of an idiot would plant fruitless Mullberries yet fill the yard with pecans!?!?!? Mullberries are actually good! And Pecans are a much bigger mess! Atleast the birds and other critters will help eat the mulberries......

Fruitless Mulberry's is bout the only daggum tree that will grow in west texas and make shade.......We hadda mulberry tree in our yard that actually made the berries....oh man it made a huge mess, the birds got drunk when the berrys got over ripe......and the kids walkin to the school bus would swarm my yard and eat berries till the bus got there in the mornin. it was more a bush tho than a tree.

Or maybe the birds were swarmin the bush, and the kids were eatin the berries gettin drunk waitin on the school bus? haha

hey jersy my stoooooopid msn messenger thingy went kaput on me so i havne't been on there to harass u......don't think im ignoring ya. I'm to ignorant to figure out how to run it....it gives me messages to update before i can use it....well i update and it just keep telling me that! Damn thing! I like trees that produce something.....except nuts...i hate nuts....but i also like a good big ole shade tree! Trees are more common here in Texas than they are on the plains of South Dakota!

If a tree grows up in South Dakota its worth fencing off and try to get it to grow.....down here they are cutting em down cause they are to thick.....crazy. But Texas can keep its Mesquite.

That's what ya'll git for hoggin all the rain up from the rest of us thru the summer and fall :p

Talked to my dad yesterday and he is still pickin maters....although they did have a freeze he covered his up and they are still goin...

HaHa it is our State Tree ya know. Can't live in Texas and NOT have a Pecan tree or two, or three......sides....Shellin pecans is fun, almost as fun as shellin peas. Then ya have to make a pecan pie. And all them other recipes that call for pecans.....ok, I'm ready for Christmas bakin now......see what you done started Tibbs.

You guys are so lucky down there. FREE pecans? Just for the pickin? They are like 11 dollars for a 2 pound bag up here. Roasted pecans are to die for.... and pecan pie and all those yummy things. I spose you have walnuts too?

Ewww Walnuts....even more hidious than Pecans! i don't have any in my yard, but people do have them around. 11 dollars for a 2 pound bag....i'm assuming that is shelled. Not sure what they sell for here....haven't needed to look. Mom says they are expensive tho up in South Dakota.....she alwas takes the free ones...haha.

Yes we have walnuts (but only use em if someone else shells em) We have hickory nuts too, if you can get em before the squirrels do. I wouldnt know how much a bag of pecans cost, I haven't had to buy pecans..........Ever!!!

Hey TX TIbbs-i'm jealous of you having all those pecans. One of our favorite pies and in snowball cookies. Have you tried picking them up with a vacuum cleaner hose? Would that work to suck them up?
It works on bagworms we found.

Bward said:
You guys are so lucky down there. FREE pecans? Just for the pickin? They are like 11 dollars for a 2 pound bag up here. Roasted pecans are to die for.... and pecan pie and all those yummy things. I spose you have walnuts too?

Well Texas has to HAVE something, good there! :wink:

Jinglebob said:
Bward said:

Well Texas has to HAVE something, good there! :wink:

You better watch your mouth Jinglebob! Haymaker and Jersy will come up there and kick your arse! haha But they'd prolly wait until next summer cause its to cold for them up north now.....lol.. :D :lol: :lol: :wink:

Latest posts