• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Picking bulls.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Reaction score
I was wondering why most ranches in the western states pick angus (Red or Black) bulls to use on angus cows over all other breeds?

Thanks,

We don't. Our best crossbreeding program is Gelbvieh/Angus. We've been hinting to our neighbors who raise hereford cattle to use a bull or two of ours (Gelbvieh)....would love to see how they do.

Red Angus bulls would kind of be a step brother to the Black Angus bulls in this discussion (I use Red Angus bulls personally but just saying looking at the registration numbers alone).. I know that we are looking at running either two different groups of cattle in the future or AIing to Red Angus bulls to produce our own replacements while breeding to either a Balancer type bull or straight Gelbvieh depending on how we want to do this as a terminal sire..

And yes, all our plans could change but this is what it has been moving towards for 3 years here

I wonder why guys pick an Angus bull :lol: :lol: :lol: Guys wonder why I do a lot of things, but then I often wonder why I did it too :? :? :? Some people think the industry should not be going with less cross breeding. I' am one that has a straight herd, but weaning weights have increased by doing it. I don't mean to imply that cross breeding doesn't work--I am saying I have been able to make this program work better under my management and with my resources than what ever else I've tried. I am about 10 years into Char bulls on Char or Char X cows. I won't fix it until it breaks. I've always believed in raising my own placements too. Lot of good cattlemen argue with that on an economic basis. I think it makes money.

McDaidCattleCO. said:
I was wondering why most ranches in the western states pick angus (Red or Black) bulls to use on angus cows over all other breeds?

Maybe because the heifers will make the best cows, and the steers will top the market :???: :???: I don't know. I don't live in the West, I'm just guess'n.

I think it has to do with getting a more uniform calf crop.
Those bulls (BA or RA) will clean up some odd coloring.
The calves are vigorous at birth, buyer acceptance is there,
and replacement heifers are possible as are good feeder calves.

I guess I believe there are less problems all the way around
using Red Angus or Black Angus genetics on a crossbred cowherd.
Kind of a 'getting back to basics' deal.

LAST YEAR I BRED MY ANGUS COWS TO ANGUS BULLS. SOLD THE CALVES AT 8 1/2 MONTHS OF AGE AND THEY AVERAGED 715#. THIS YEAR I HAVE MY COWS BRED TO BLACK LIMOUSIN BULLS. WILL SEE IF THERE IS A CHANGE. BUYERS IN OUR COUNTRY PAY MORE FOR BLACK HIDED CALVES. THATS JUST A FACT.

rm livestock said:
BUYERS IN OUR COUNTRY PAY MORE FOR BLACK HIDED CALVES. THATS JUST A FACT.

Yep-- Many times I've watched cattle from the same herd sell-- exact same sets of calves except for color-- and the black sort will sell for as much as a nickle a pound more than the red ones...

Throw in the choice grade premium and feed conversion numbers, Angus have some very solid numbers to back up the popularity.

If someone is having trouble meeting the choice grade why would they 'select' any other breed but Angus?

This Jason guy, he's not so dumb. :lol:

Angus (Red Angus too) are just pretty darn good in lots of areas of production. They make for good cows with maternal traits, yet still have the growth and carcass that the feeders need and consumers desire. No, they're not the absolute best and only answer, but a heck of a base for a cow herd. 3/4 Angus or Red Angus with 1/4 Continental probably makes for some of the best feeding cattle. It's a little hard to maintain a continual crossbreeding program to create that genetic package for a period of time.

Lots of folks use Angus because of buyer demand alone, chasing that black color. That's sure the obvious thing to do, but it won't create a superior cow or a superior calf. There are loads and loads of black cattle in the world that are just plain sorry. Seems like more people could use their mind and truly evaluate cattle instead of doing what's popular.

There are great and useful cattle in many breeds.

Jason said:
Throw in the choice grade premium and feed conversion numbers, Angus have some very solid numbers to back up the popularity.

If someone is having trouble meeting the choice grade why would they 'select' any other breed but Angus?

Because only 10-15% of angus calves meet their own brands' quality specifications.................

plus the fact that they had to throw the 3.9 or better yield grade specs out the window just to get enough product for the brand :lol: :lol:

Their are all kinds of reasons to cross breed and strait breed. With crossing you will get hybrid vigor which will give you extra pounds, and ussually better conception rates.

But if you strait breed their are some benifits as well. Our customers that strait breed sell their strait Red Angus heifers as replacements for steer price and several got a $10/cwt premium over their steer mates. One customer broke all kinds of records this year selling their 550 lbs heifers for $168/cwt while his steers actually topped the entire sale that day and still sold for $40/cwt back from his heifers.

If I were to have a bunch of commercial cattle, they would be either Strait Red Angus cows and use a Red Angus bull on them, or have the same red cows and put a good LT Charlais bull on them. But since I raise Red Angus bulls and do have a market for replacement heifers it would most likely be the Red Angus bull.

Their is a different market for all kinds of cattle what ever the breed or cross is. I say get a plan and stick by it, don't chase the hottest thing, because by the time you get what they want, it won't be that hot anymore.

i am thinking of purchasing a hereford bull i live in south louisiana, do you thing this type of bull can handle our summers and still be productive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the usda except the cloning of cattle??
So someday we may not have to use any judgement on selection of bulls, It'll all be done for us....

Last I hear was a month or so ago.. Doesn't mean it hasn't come back up.. Also doesn't meant there wasn't a slow news day so they decided to recycle the story. There is a lot of public resistance to the idea at the moment. it will probably be allowed eventually, not sure how I feel about it. 10 years ago things like this and irradiated food and a whole bunch of other things didn't bother me so much. I don't know if it is being involved more in the business now, getting older and wiser/dumber, or if it having kids now or what but somethings just don't seem as great of an idea as they used too.

Latest posts