• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures from the last couple weeks

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
The spring has been dry and really mild as far as springs go around here. The grass is coming pretty nice but if the rain doesn't show up shortly the grass with shift into reverse soon. We turned our little bunch out on the mountain 10 days ago and i am just getting around to posting some pictures so i threw together a variety of what we've been doing. Their heads are down so it must be good grazing.
DSC00891.jpg

The calves are doing well and the green grass ought'a give em' all a boost.
DSC00892.jpg

This cow is 10 and had a set of twins this year. She is raising them both, a steer and heifer, just peachy and staying in great flesh.
DSC00893.jpg

Then we switched mountains and spent the Memorial Day weekend out with my family. I worked some more on our fencing project but won't bore you with more rock pictures. We did gather 30 head off of an irrigated meadow and move them over to Pole Canyon. We had to sort off some cows Phil bought that are going to spend the summer on the meadow ground.
DSC00903.jpg

Cutting more newly purchased sisters off while keeping the other 30 pair kinda bunched. Slow works better than fast and we cut them clean as a whistle.
DSC00904.jpg

I might have to frame this shot cause it sure turned out swell if i do say so myself! Green grass, a Desert Mountain vista, a hint of water in the clouds and a good pony's ears. Does' it get any better? :D
DSC00902.jpg

We cut off the cows that were staying and pushed the rest out a gate and headed east. They would of stayed on the meadows if given a choice but life isn't fair. :wink: The foothills and mountain pastures will be their summer home. Away we went!
DSC00905.jpg

Backsides of bovines as we push them through the juniper trees.
DSC00906.jpg

We had one little cloud get our hopes up for ten minutes but all it did was gently hail which is a good thing. Hail usually has nothing in common with gentle. 15 minutes after it quit ya would never of guessed it ever did anything.
DSC00908.jpg

I had to take a picture of this old juniper tree. We call them cedar trees but juniper is their actual name. Anyway, it has been on the desert for a long while. I wasn't about to cut it down and count the rings but it's twists and curves and lack of vegitation show it has managed to keep living, albeit a tough life. There's lots of folks who have a lot in common with that old tree. They are the ones who are entertaining and enlightening to visit with.
DSC00907.jpg

It hailed for a minute or ten and the next we were back to making dust. :? Ain't mother nature a grand and fickle gal? :D
DSC00909.jpg

Wayne(the guy), Rowdy(the hangin' tree dog) and Booger(the horse). The cows wish to remain nameless.
DSC00910.jpg

It wasn't a long trail but we covered 8 or 10 miles with the original 30 pair plus we picked up a few as we traveled and stuck 55 or so into Pole Canyon.
They will spend a week or three here and then head higher up the mountain as we rotate from canyon to canyon.
DSC00911.jpg

Even the cactus are happy to be alive and greet the spring. :D
DSC00912.jpg

Later that evening we three cowboys got together with the rest of our brood and did some prospecting. Our family is all scattered about but a bunch of us try to get together over Memorial day to visit and remember and decorate graves. We spent the early cool of the evening looking for quartz and beryl crystals on some mining claims we have. I should'a taken some pictures of the "treasures" we found but rocks are rocks right? :D Hope ya'll remember how lucky we all are to get our mail delivered in our own part of paradise! And remember the folks who paved the way for us and have since passed! Family can be a trial at times but it one of the Lord's choicest blessings as well. Hope you can enjoy yours as much as we do. Have a fine evening!
DSC00913.jpg

gcreekrch said:
Thanks H, whether good or bad, events in one's life are meant to be shared with friends.

Guess I should do my part, hey? :D

Without getting all sappy and such, i am priviledged to know folks like you and your fine wife. I consider you a couple of my closest and farthest friends! :D And we share stuff here thanks to Macon! I look forward to laughing with you a lot and even shedding a tear a times. Life is an adventure that is best shared.

there is a pic copyrighted by COX,,titled,,"Between Heaven and Hell"

some of your pictures remind me of that phrase.sometimes i think i have been ther before. :wink:

great pics,thanks for sharing your valueble time with us.

Great pics...was thinking of you all as we got several inches of heavy wet snow last week and weekend hoping you were all getting some moisture too! Beautiful country you all have to ride in... we are all rock hounds here to, but we look for petrified wood, fossils, and arrowheads! Sounds like we are going to be dry again for at least another week or so. Our snow might have just made our grass for us. Now if it would get warmer than 50 degrees...do all of your canyons have water running thru them?

Wyoming Wind said:
Great pics...was thinking of you all as we got several inches of heavy wet snow last week and weekend hoping you were all getting some moisture too! Beautiful country you all have to ride in... we are all rock hounds here to, but we look for petrified wood, fossils, and arrowheads! Sounds like we are going to be dry again for at least another week or so. Our snow might have just made our grass for us. Now if it would get warmer than 50 degrees...do all of your canyons have water running thru them?

Thanks for thinking of us! :D And in our rock gatherin' we have found more than a few arrowheads. Now as far as the creeks in the canyons, it depends. Most of them have spring water and 2 have had a creek year round for as long as we have ranched out here which is since 1850. But we do have some springs and developed water sources that feed a trough system. It's always a summer chore keeping gates closed and water in the troughs. I will bring you a box of fossils, trilobytes and such and even throw in some beryl crystals when i come up to hunt mule deer with you fine and wonderful people! :wink:

Latest posts