• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures of haying today

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Manitoba_Rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
2,117
Reaction score
0
Location
Canada
Took a few pictures from the road tonight after supper of the tractor and baler and the tractor and rake. It was around 100F here today so the a/c in the cabs had to work overtime. Even had water coming in the cab from the condensor.

Here are the pics. We are baling some plains hay, that is so rough it could shake the b@lls off a brass monkey....lol

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Manitoba_Rancher/haying002.jpg


http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y256/Manitoba_Rancher/94b35850.jpg
 
Manitoba_Rancher said:
Took a few pictures from the road tonight after supper of the tractor and baler and the tractor and rake. It was around 100F here today so the a/c in the cabs had to work overtime. Even had water coming in the cab from the condensor.

Here are the pics. We are baling some plains hay, that is so rough it could shake the b@lls off a brass monkey....lol

haying002.jpg




94b35850.jpg
 
Just curious to know what is the grass you are baling? ,is it natural pasture or a sown improved type ? what does it yield ?

regards
Tully
The nosey Australian :D
 
That looks like a long way between windrows. How many tons to the acre are you getting.
That is some long rows too. I would have to pack a lunch to walk to the end of the row.
 
That is natural grass, never broken up. Its a kind natural prairie grass and the animals do real well on it. Makes excellent horse and bull hay. We re averaging about 2.5 tonnes to the acre and we are raking two 16 ft swaths together. The rows go for about a full mile.
 
I cut some on the best friend's this year that ran the full mile. Talk about boring! Hell, I could smoke two cigarettes by the time I made it from one end to the other! And of course, it had to be the roughest damn field I've been on so far this year! :roll:
 
TX- I havent a damn clue what kind of grass it is. Its not a tame variety so I m not sure. Its got a mix of wild clover and alfalfa in it tooo. Smells really good when its baled.
 
TXTibbs said:
so um manitoba...you don't know what your main grass is up there where you live? Can you ask someone please...i'm curious.....i'd assume its western wheatgrass but not sure...never been to manitoba.


Heck I bale alot of grass I have no Idea what it is and dont really care if it wont make a turd it will push one.....
 
We've got a huge variety of native grasses. It depends where you are in Manitoba. In the very southwestern corner it was originally short grass prairie. Farther east it was originally long grass prairie.

We were on a grazing tour last week, and tromped around in some native pastures. All of the pastures were made up of dozens of varieties, with no single one dominating.

Manitoba_Rancher, take a close up picture of some, and we can have a contest of Name That Grass! :D
 
Kato said:
We've got a huge variety of native grasses. It depends where you are in Manitoba. In the very southwestern corner it was originally short grass prairie. Farther east it was originally long grass prairie.

We were on a grazing tour last week, and tromped around in some native pastures. All of the pastures were made up of dozens of varieties, with no single one dominating.

Manitoba_Rancher, take a close up picture of some, and we can have a contest of Name That Grass! :D

Kato ,you sure get around up there,and she had two.MR,glad to see you are making progress,be cold before we know it................good luck
 
Manitoba_Rancher said:
TX- I havent a damn clue what kind of grass it is. Its not a tame variety so I m not sure. Its got a mix of wild clover and alfalfa in it tooo. Smells really good when its baled.


MR,You are mighty lucky,no plowing, no planting,no fertilizing,hell I dont even know what it is,just jump in my tractor cut,rake,& bale. :D :D :D ...........good luck PS you wont do anything like that around here.
 
Haymaker,

I run a large grain farm as well as ranching. And I have not followed in the footsteps of others around here with there no-till practices. I still like to seed into a nice black seedbed. So I see my share of tillage and fertilizing. But no plowing, soil around here wont hack that.
 
Faster horses said:
I found your post intersting, MR. We don't know much about farming, but we need to do some. Would you elaborate a bit on why your soil won't hack plowing?

Just trying to learn something here~and thanks!

Around here in the sand if you plow to deep you can brake the hardpan then the water just runs through most guys just disc the top 6 to 8 inches.

In the clay I just disc that also to many rocks if you start digging.
 
Manitoba_Rancher said:
Haymaker,

I run a large grain farm as well as ranching. And I have not followed in the footsteps of others around here with there no-till practices. I still like to seed into a nice black seedbed. .

A few farms around us use no-till and think they produce equally well as tilled. What is your conception? Or is it...simply artistic? :D
 
Top