• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Pictures of Home

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rkaiser

Reaction score
One of the best parts of this site is seeing some pictures of home. Old Soapweed keeps us drooling over his beautiful spread but it's so nice to see variation. Here's a bit from home.

th_P1011263.jpg

This is a view from my office window. Waited 20 years for this spot to be built and now my ashes go in that there pond. Hopefully the trees we've been planting will be 50 feet high by then. :wink:

th_P1011256.jpg

Looking back toward home from one of the four sanctuaries on our measly little half section. Only way to ranch for a newcomer (20 years in this area) is to rent land.

th_P1011259.jpg

A group of about 120 Welsh Black breeding females and calves in one of our controlled grazing paddocks. Spruce trees on the right in the distance are another sanctuary and the bales are set out in the far left for bale grazing to start when our banked grass runs out or the snow gets too deep.

th_P1011254.jpg

This is what the grass looks like among the bales on the bale grazing paddock.

th_P1011261.jpg

Let's put it this way. If these little 5 - 6 month old boogers don't participate in this libido test --- they DO NOT get a star on their report card.

Very nice pictures, Randy. You have a great view from your office window. The grass looks lush, the cattle content, and your young bulls are having fun. Life is good. :wink:

Thanks folks, and here are a few Welsh Black cow pics for you rainie. Of course you will have to ask old purecountry for the Galloway shots. We rented our Galloways to good old Darcy. One small herd of Welsh Blacks leased to a fellow out at Muenster Sask, and trying to go multinational with a fellow down in Idaho. :wink:
P1011271.jpg

P1011270.jpg

P1011268.jpg

And how about one of the set up we used to preg test all 129 head this morning in an hour and a half. Calves were vaccinated and back out with mommas before noon. Me - momma - and one good old boy with Charolais cattle. Lot's of ribbin when we work each others cows.
P1011264.jpg

And my goldfish bowl
P1011265.jpg

Cows are looking good Randy. I like the extra hair that the bull calves have on them already. These guys should handle winter pretty well. The more that I see of these Welsh Blacks and Galloway, the more that I like them.I think that they would suit our Manitoba environment to a t. When are you planning on weaning. Thanks again for the pics. My youngest son called tonight. Said gas cost him 300.00 one way, so 600.00 for a roundtrip.He's at Olds. So your pics are worth about 600.00, plus a motel room for the night ,and a sore butt for all the driving. :D

Not weaning for a while yet rainie. Calves were mainly born April and May and those mommas will have nothing to do until that time next year. Might as well be inputting. We are actually selling some bred heifers and heifer calves in a joint Welsh Black female sale down at Olds on Nov. 17th. You'll have to let that kid of yours know and he can bring a camera down to the Auction Market. And maybe a bid or two from mom and dad. :wink: My kid is in the Ag college at Vermillion along with all of my bulls.

Call me any time.
(403) 783 - 8872
Randy

We calve April and May too. Not planning on weaning until after Christmas.Got extra hay set out in our bale grazing rows for the calves, for the whole winter if needed. I'd like to leave the calves on the cow until February, and wean them off then. Couple months in the corral and then back out on stockpiled grass and hay in April. Not sure how it'll work as we haven't tried this before. Some of our cows I know could handle this, but some can"t. I'll wean off the calves of the harder keeping cows as necessary and these type cows will eventually hit the road. How many Welsk Blacks are you expecting for the Old's sale. Are they purebred or commercial. My son Bryce is at Old's college and sometimes works at the auction mart. Not sure if its because he misses being around cattle or if it keeps him in beer money. :roll: Anyways, have a good one.

Latest posts