• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

R A

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
1x-1.jpg



f17.jpg



ddd4.jpg



1b.jpg



dd12.jpg



dd11.jpg



7ra1.jpg



ee19.jpg



ee16.jpg



aa8-1.jpg



ee12.jpg



ee9.jpg



aa1.jpg



ee3.jpg



ee2.jpg



1.jpg



dd1.jpg



1a.jpg



and I leave you with...
aa6.jpg

:D


Edited: these were supposed to be up in there with the rest, but I see they didn't make it



h24.jpg



f20.jpg



dd13.jpg



aa9.jpg



aa7.jpg



18-1.jpg



dd14.jpg
 

R A

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
My computer and photobucket don't get along any more....I get tired of it and delete my accounts, then start a new one and the same thing happens.....lol.

It took me about four hours here to get these on here... :shock: I just grabbed a few...I've taken thousands of pictures already this year. I didn't realize I grabbed the little number 10 calf's pictures so much.

Thanks for looking!
 

R A

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
Faster horses said:
Good shots, all of 'em.Thanks for sharing. Been missing your pictures.

What do you do for fly control? You have lots of flies, looks like.

Thanks! You snuck this in while I was posting my other post.

I've haven't ever done anything for flies in the past because I always had brahmas out there and couldn't. This will be my first year maybe doing something about it...so nothing yet. I have WAY more grass, weeds, flies....everything, than I should at this time of year!!!
 

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
x2 our cattle are loaded with flies, I have never seen so many so early.
 

Hayguy

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 7, 2010
Messages
2,385
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern Alberta
Faster horses said:
Good shots, all of 'em.Thanks for sharing. Been missing your pictures.

What do you do for fly control? You have lots of flies, looks like.



nice pic's RA it's good to see the green grass again, coming soon here too.

FH what can or would you do for fly control?
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,940
Reaction score
170
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
hayguy said:
Faster horses said:
Good shots, all of 'em.Thanks for sharing. Been missing your pictures.

What do you do for fly control? You have lots of flies, looks like.



nice pic's RA it's good to see the green grass again, coming soon here too.

FH what can or would you do for fly control?

There are many things you can do, depending on your situation. If you have
a place to run your cows/calves through, a product called Cylence works
really well and it is relatively inexpensive. The gun (applicator works good too.)
If you don't have many cows, you can just put them in a corral and have
them go around you and use the gun that way. It shoots a stream out
quite a ways. We really like that product and the applicator.

IGR (fly control) in your mineral works really well too. In ours, the cattle
need only eat 2 oz of mineral for the fly control to work. How IGR works
is that it interrupts the life cycle of the fly, they hatch early and can't fly
so they die. In R A's situation, the flies are already ahead of him so he
would do best by using cylence and then putting out the IGR. It will take
a couple of weeks to start killing the flies. If you put it out early, like when
you have 65 degrees three days in a row, then you can get the first hatch.
And then leave it out til the first frost and the flies won't over winter in
the manure. The way you can tell if the IGR is working, is that your cattle
don't bunch up, but stay out grazing. You might see some flies on them
still, but not enough to cause them to bunch up. When they are bunced,
they aren't grazing and when they aren't grazing, they aren't gaining.

There are fly tags (which we have never used) but they need put in later,
the way I understand it. Putting them in at branding time is too early and
then when the flies really come the tags have lost effectiveness. And from
what I am told, you need to put some in the cow and some in the calf.
If you don't do it correctly, the cattle become immune to the insecticide
in the tag and you must change brands often. Like I said, we've never
used them. With the Cylence, after a few years you need to change to
something else as they will build an immunity to that as well. Not so with
IGR, there has never been any immunity found with it.

Flies cost the producer a tremendous amount.There has been a lot
of research done and they do cost the producer a lot of money.

Sometimes when flies are really bad, you have to do a couple of things
to keep them under control. We have run the numbers on yearlings,
fly tags vs. IGR, and the IGR in the mineral is cheaper per head than fly tags
and it lasts longer too.

There are dust bags aswell. We tried them as some cows really use them--
you can tell as their faces, backs are white with powder. Our cows weren't
impressed and wouldn't use them. It's a great idea and we tried it several
times, and then gave up on them. Our cows didn't have trees either so we
thought surely they would use them. Wrong. But I know some cows
will use them.

Oh and we have a Lewis cattle oiler as well. That's a pretty good deal,
but spendy to buy and hard to move unless you get the frame on wheels
too.

Hope this helps. I just hate to see cows bunched up, fighting flies.
Costs you $$$.
 

R A

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
ND Farmer said:
Thanks for the pictures. Just love those baldy calves.

Thanks for looking! This is my second baldy calf crop, with hopefully many years more of them!
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,061
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
FH is 100% correct about the IGR.

LOOMIX is now using Rabon instead of IGR in our summer fly control liquid, due to the fact that Rabon kills 4 species of flies...horn, house, face, and stable....whereas Altosid IGR only works on horn flies. 1/3 of a pound should take care of a 1300# cow, but pairs should be getting around 1/2 pound/pair/day for effective fly control, so I'm told. I ordered a semi load of this product this morning. We'll see, I guess.

FWIW.
 

R A

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
4Diamond said:
x2 our cattle are loaded with flies, I have never seen so many so early.

crazy, isn't it!


hayguy said:
nice pic's RA it's good to see the green grass again, coming soon here too.

Thanks! I hope it gets there real quick for ya!



Great fly control info FH!
...and thanks for the input, loomixguy!
 

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
I never have used IGR before but am considering it. However, I have attended 2 dinners put on by mineral reps and they both said if your neighbors don't use IGR it will not be real effective. For you guys out west that may not be an issue but here where every 40 acre place has cattle from various owners it is an issue.

I don't know so I am asking those of you that use the IGR mineral how effective is it if the cattle all around you aren't exposed to it? Thanks
 

LazyWP

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
1,701
Reaction score
0
A couple years ago, we took some cattle in that the owner had been using IGR mineral for the last 5 years. He didn't use it on our place, Said unless you are pretty much isolated, it won't work. Over the last 5 years I have seen about every type of fly control, and there are times that NONE of them work. Other times, anything works.
We rotate pastures, and that helps some, and on our "north" place we haven't used any form of control the last 2 years. Here on the river, I use "socks",oil with a mixture of Tactic, and Atroban. Most of the time that works, but we have sprayed everything here also.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,118
Reaction score
201
Location
Big Muddy valley
IGR works only as far as I know on Horn Flies. Looks like you have Face flies as well. A horn fly is pretty much herd specific so I should work where there are herds across the fence but I suppose if they are bunching up in fence corners they would transfer. Maybe you could get the neighbors to use it. :shock: :lol:
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,061
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
Big Muddy rancher said:
IGR works only as far as I know on Horn Flies.

That is correct. Most flies out in pastures will never travel over 1/8 to 1/4 mile in their lives.

Simply put, even if the neighbor didn't use it (fly control)...I WOULD.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,118
Reaction score
201
Location
Big Muddy valley
loomixguy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
IGR works only as far as I know on Horn Flies.

That is correct. Most flies out in pastures will never travel over 1/8 to 1/4 mile in their lives.

Simply put, even if the neighbor didn't use it (fly control)...I WOULD.



A woman walked into the kitchen to find her
husband stalking around with a fly swatter.

"What are you doing?"
she asked.

"Hunting flies"
he responded.

"Oh.! Kill any?"
she asked.

"Yep, 3 males, 2 Females," he replied.



Intrigued, she asked.
"How can you tell them apart?"
He responded,
"3 were on a beer can,
2 were on the phone!





:D
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,940
Reaction score
170
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
loomixguy said:
FH is 100% correct about the IGR.

LOOMIX is now using Rabon instead of IGR in our summer fly control liquid, due to the fact that Rabon kills 4 species of flies...horn, house, face, and stable....whereas Altosid IGR only works on horn flies. 1/3 of a pound should take care of a 1300# cow, but pairs should be getting around 1/2 pound/pair/day for effective fly control, so I'm told. I ordered a semi load of this product this morning. We'll see, I guess.

FWIW.

Thanks loomixguy. Question, if you don't mind.
Do you mean that a pair needs 1/2 lb/pair/day of Rabon?

We have concentrated the IGR in our mineral so that 2 oz is adequate.
However, straight Altosid (IGR) can be purchased and added to the mineral.

Our company quit using Rabon a long time ago, maybe because it is bitter
and hard to get them to consume it in the mineral?
Also, I didn't know it killed those other type of flies. I'm going to look
into that. Thanks loomix guy. I know that IGR has no taste, you could
mix it up and drink it, should you desire. (I don't. :D )

Always something to learn on here. Glad I could be part of it. When you
get too old to learn, I've heard, you just as well hang it up. :D :D

I enjoy helping others. There was so much I didn't know for a long time
(still a lot I don't know) and I can tell you do too.
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,061
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
Faster horses said:
loomixguy said:
FH is 100% correct about the IGR.

LOOMIX is now using Rabon instead of IGR in our summer fly control liquid, due to the fact that Rabon kills 4 species of flies...horn, house, face, and stable....whereas Altosid IGR only works on horn flies. 1/3 of a pound should take care of a 1300# cow, but pairs should be getting around 1/2 pound/pair/day for effective fly control, so I'm told. I ordered a semi load of this product this morning. We'll see, I guess.

FWIW.

Thanks loomixguy. Question, if you don't mind.
Do you mean that a pair needs 1/2 lb/pair/day of Rabon?

We have concentrated the IGR in our mineral so that 2 oz is adequate.
However, straight Altosid (IGR) can be purchased and added to the mineral.

Our company quit using Rabon a long time ago, maybe because it is bitter
and hard to get them to consume it in the mineral?
Also, I didn't know it killed those other type of flies. I'm going to look
into that. Thanks loomix guy. I know that IGR has no taste, you could
mix it up and drink it, should you desire. (I don't. :D )

Always something to learn on here. Glad I could be part of it. When you
get too old to learn, I've heard, you just as well hang it up. :D :D

I enjoy helping others. There was so much I didn't know for a long time
(still a lot I don't know) and I can tell you do too.

A pair should consume half a pound per pair per day of our LOOMIX 4X product, which not only has an adequate amount of Rabon for effective fly control, but other ingredients also found in our other liquid products, which include vitamins, trace minerals, and a small amount (less than 3%) of urea, which helps with putting gains on those cows and calves that are on grass, etc.

Honestly, we have come out with so many new products the last 3 or 4 years it's hard to keep up with them, and I refuse to invest in storage tanks to handle them all. Our new high fat product requires a pump that sells for around $1400-$1600, just to pump that particular product! Forget that! I handle the products that I feel will offer my customers the added value they have come to expect from LOOMIX. "The most of the best" as my old college prof Keith Gilster used to say. We have an exceptional feedlot starter product that no other company can touch, but the wizards at the local Gottsch feedyards won't let me give them a demo, even with a dozen or so testimonials from other feedlots that they all know and trust. Go figure. If I had their business I could quit handling range products, quit my second job at the power plant, and just focus on them. Oh, well......it's a long road that doesn't have a turn in it someplace.
 

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
loomixguy said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
IGR works only as far as I know on Horn Flies.

That is correct. Most flies out in pastures will never travel over 1/8 to 1/4 mile in their lives.

Simply put, even if the neighbor didn't use it (fly control)...I WOULD.

Salesman pitch or being honest? Only reason I ask is my mineral reps said it could very well be a waste of money...
 

Latest posts

Top