• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

pink eye

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cure

Reaction score
I need some advice as to what vaccine / medicine I need to get for a herd of cows and their calves with pink eye. You see I am on a good mineral program and I don't have a problem in any of my mature herds it is just in the first calf bunch. I have never had anything like this before and it is getting pretty discouraging when I go out to check them every day and find one or two more with running eyes or worst. I am getting tried of spending half of every day docotoring cattle so first of next week I am going to run everything in and doctor or vaccinate them and I was just wondering what some of you use. Any advice is greatful.

Second what Soap said. Have seen mature sweet clover cause problems by scratching the eyes. Moved cattle problem solved. Something is causing the eye to be irritated either flys or grass/clover.

Baytril and the highest insecticide fly tags are working here
Expensive but once at the most twice us all it takes
Patchs come off quickly but I have not used sale barn glue

This year we have doctored nearly half the cows, here at home, and close to 90% of the calves. Cows have always had mineral in front of them. It was a local mix, and the cows weren't hardly eating any. Tried mixing it with salt, no salt, nothing worked. Switched to a different brand, and they will eat it by its self, but if I put salt in the same box, they won't touch it. We have used lots of fly control here, too.
My other bunch, I have not had 1 eye problem. Feeding a different brand of mineral. Not a brand that consider to be real good, but the cows are eating the recommended amount, and then some. Have no fly control, and the calves are younger.
The animals I doctored out in the pasture, got Nuflor. Worked on 9 out of 10 critters. The ones we ran through the chute, got LA300, patched eyes and the spray in purple crap. Had to retreat about 20% of them, but I think we are on the mend.
I am pretty sure this was something that the cows brought in from East river South Dakota, but with head high grass, the middle of August, who knows.

Has anyone kept records to see which cattle in the herd are not affected so as to select resistant stock and reduce the incidence of infection over a period of time? In commercial herds, introducing a % of resistant genetics into the breeding program?

I think a good fly control works as well as anything. We have had pink eye in our feeder hfrs for years in the same field. This year we put cylence a fly control pour-on on them and have not had one case. we have pink eye in are cows and calves so its not just the year.

very few flys here this year but I have seen more pinkeye in cows than normal. Our fescue was much more stemy then past years

Latest posts