• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

pinkeye!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jillaroo

Reaction score
I'm seeking some information regarding pinkeye vaccines for cattle. What brands have people used? Anyone used an autogenous vaccine?
We are having a real issue with our first calvers getting pinkeye this year. Most are responding to oxytetracycline and those that don't are getting Draxxin. They are on a good loose mineral as well.
We've never had problems like this. Our vet from Alberta said they are having huge issues over there as well.

Thanks!

They tell me to let the vet get a sample and send it to a lab then they can formulate a vaccine for the strand you have. We've had it bad hear as well.

We have herefords here in Oklahoma and have always fought pink eye. But, this year we started a better fly/ear tag program and as of this date have not had one case of Pink Eye yet. We are using the Bayer Corathon tags this year and will rotate to a different class of tag in two years.

We had it 3 years ago then vaccinated for it 2 years ago and it was 95% worse. Last year we treated about every animal on the place to no avail. Lost some eyes it was a wreck. Switched minerals and so far this year we've not a case.The strain we had did'nt let up in the winter we had a pasture that did'nt have any dureing the summer and as soon as the cattle co-mingled they all got it then it went thru the fall calves and by that time was into the new calves seams like now the whole herd is ammune to that strain waiting on the next one.It ran rapid thru several herds up here for about 4 or 5 years.

Denny said:
We had it 3 years ago then vaccinated for it 2 years ago and it was 95% worse. Last year we treated about every animal on the place to no avail. Lost some eyes it was a wreck. Switched minerals and so far this year we've not a case.The strain we had did'nt let up in the winter we had a pasture that did'nt have any dureing the summer and as soon as the cattle co-mingled they all got it then it went thru the fall calves and by that time was into the new calves seams like now the whole herd is ammune to that strain waiting on the next one.It ran rapid thru several herds up here for about 4 or 5 years.
what mineral you feeding?

Denny said:

We had the same problem a couple of years ago. Treated probably 75% of the calves and a couple of the cows. Seemed like two years of it and we finally have immunity in the herd as we haven't had anything real bad since.

I hadn't had a case in five years but this year the bred heifers I have got it bad. Ended up treating the whole herd twice with a vaccine the local vet came up with about 10 years ago. That stopped it fast. The strain I had goes on into winter as well. My dads herd hasn't had any at all. Strange they all get the same stuff. Some of my friends use a dart gun and I believe Draxin but not positive. Whatever mine had came on fast also. I checked them once on a Thursday then we left for a long weekend and Monday two of them were close to losing an eye. I think we will use his vaccine from now on before we get it bad. What a pita!! :wink:

We vaccinated our yearlings with a pinkeye vaccine and 20% still got it. That's the frustrating part.

4Diamond said:
Denny said:
what mineral you feeding?

Was useing some from the feed store in town Consolidated Nutrition I think. Switched to some made by a feedstore 30 miles south of me it has altazoid,and CTC in it bulk its a little over $700 a ton was peddleing Vigortone a few years back but with freight it was in the $1100 plus per ton pretty hard to sell it against some that works just as well at $400 a ton less.

http://addisonlabs.com/products/M.Bovoculi.php

I used Pilligaurd and Vision 7 20/20. We rotate flytags every year, and always remove them in the fall. Feed minereral, etc. I flat got hammered this year, Starting in Feb., and it still has not stopped. My vet told me to look into this before we run the herd through this fall. I'm to the point of nothing to lose and everything to gain.
:mad:

Every time we handle our yearlings we vaccinate for pinkeye. We use the local strain that our vet has made for this area. We also use a vaccine off the self, I believe, Bov Eye. In fact we mix them and give a 4ml dose. That really reduces it but, as you say4D, we still had more cases than we thought were acceptable until we went to a different mineral program about a year and a half ago. It can be a real challenge with cattle coming in several times a year. We very rarely have any trouble with our own beasts as long as we don't run out of mineral.

MO STOCKER said:
Every time we handle our yearlings we vaccinate for pinkeye. We use the local strain that our vet has made for this area. We also use a vaccine off the self, I believe, Bov Eye. In fact we mix them and give a 4ml dose. That really reduces it but, as you say4D, we still had more cases than we thought were acceptable until we went to a different mineral program about a year and a half ago. It can be a real challenge with cattle coming in several times a year. We very rarely have any trouble with our own beasts as long as we don't run out of mineral.
What mineral are you guys using? I've been mixing auremycin in our mineral all summer. Cows are in good shape but the yearlings are a different story.

We had Pinkeye BAD last year. I would say well over 70% of the calves and close to 50% of the cows. All but 1 or 2 of the cows came out of it, with medication and time.
This year I have seen 1 weepy eye, and that was probably from a Cedar twig.
We have switched to Purina mineral, with IGR, Vaccinated the calves, and have 2 GOOD rubs out, that are charged once a week.
Last year is when I learned to lay a critter down. :twisted:

A year ago in June we went to a cafeteria mineral & vitamin program. We saw an immediate elimination of pinkeye in the first bunch of around 200 heifers we put on it. This season we put a set of fall calvers on. Again no pinkeye and well shed off. Although all the products are consumed, the most used are vit A, vit B & sulfur. Next would be the iodine, rumen buffer and salt. The individual products seem a bit pricey, but our cost/hd/day run around .06 on developing heifers and, surprisingly, about the same for cows. I would expect the cow's consumption to increase some as they start calving this fall.

Have read about this for many years so thought we would give it a try. So far we are impressed with results and price.

Although the multi- compartmented feeders are pricey they are rugged and I wouldn't want to try to build one.

MO STOCKER said:
A year ago in June we went to a cafeteria mineral & vitamin program. We saw an immediate elimination of pinkeye in the first bunch of around 200 heifers we put on it. This season we put a set of fall calvers on. Again no pinkeye and well shed off. Although all the products are consumed, the most used are vit A, vit B & sulfur. Next would be the iodine, rumen buffer and salt. The individual products seem a bit pricey, but our cost/hd/day run around .06 on developing heifers and, surprisingly, about the same for cows. I would expect the cow's consumption to increase some as they start calving this fall.

Have read about this for many years so thought we would give it a try. So far we are impressed with results and price.

Although the multi- compartmented feeders are pricey they are rugged and I wouldn't want to try to build one.
I've read and seen pictures of similar set ups from a guy in northern MO.

How many of you clip your pastures? In this area the weeds will grow tall and if you don't clip you will have a lot of eye trouble - - - I think the eyes get scratched by the weeds while getting to the grass.

I try to mow 2 or 3 times a year to keep things in check - - - with a 21' batwing for the large areas they go fast.
Letsgohome.jpg
[/url]

It goes much faster since my son put auto steer on the tractor - - - I set it for 20' 6" and do not skip or overlap.[/img]

Then you need a little better control around the trees and fences.
277withbushhog_zps4dde90c9.jpg
[/url]

7' wide is still getting the small areas and keeps me out of the fences!

I try to keep things in good repair and looking nice as well so I spread a little paint on the batwing.
21afterpaint_zpseebc5099.jpg
[/url]

I purchased 38 acres of ground that had not been cared for - - - this is what it looked like.
[/img]

Then one pass with the 4650 and 21' batwing made a huge difference.
Treesafter_zps913fe8fc.jpg
[/url]

It is amasing how much grass was down in the mess![/img]

Latest posts