• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Playoff

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3 M L & C

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
1,182
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas
Most "experts" I see have predicted Ohio state to be the fourth team in. They were impressive yesterday but have by far the worst loss on their record. Tcu only loss was to top 5 team. And Baylor beat them. If Ohio state gets in instead of a big 12 team will be a giant hose job.
 

jigs

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 17, 2005
Messages
8,439
Reaction score
0
Location
KANSAS
I would have liked to see Ohio State lose, and two Big 12 teams make it ... really irritate the ESPN wizards...

no way Ohio state knocks out TCU. They COULD replace TCU with Baylor due to Head to Head play, but I don't know if they will....
imagine a Baylor / Oregon track meet!
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
3 M L & C said:
Most "experts" I see have predicted Ohio state to be the fourth team in. They were impressive yesterday but have by far the worst loss on their record. Tcu only loss was to top 5 team. And Baylor beat them. If Ohio state gets in instead of a big 12 team will be a giant hose job.

That loss was very early in the season.
 

3 M L & C

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
1,182
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas
Sandhusker said:
3 M L & C said:
Most "experts" I see have predicted Ohio state to be the fourth team in. They were impressive yesterday but have by far the worst loss on their record. Tcu only loss was to top 5 team. And Baylor beat them. If Ohio state gets in instead of a big 12 team will be a giant hose job.

That loss was very early in the season.

That's true but still a very bad loss. If regular season doesn't matter then why even play it. Does that mean that good wins early in the season don't matter either?
 

Sandhusker

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
18,486
Reaction score
0
Location
Nebraska
That's the way that it's always been - if you're going to lose, lose early.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Sandhusker said:
That's the way that it's always been - if you're going to lose, lose early.

And THAT's why we have a supposedly unbiased committee doing the ranking, to judge each team on it's body of work for the entire season and not be conveniently forgetful at the end of the year.

To let Ohio State in because of a win over lowly Wisconsin would be a farce. They're a joke. Wisconsin lost to the 4th ranked team in the SEC West.

I say put TCU & Baylor both in the top 4 and drop FSU out.
 

3 M L & C

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
1,182
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas
Maybe in old times but this is first year for playoff with a comity. Usually the loss early only applies when it's to a good team not a bottom feeder in the acc. There isn't a case made that uses the "body of work" the comity uses that would make Ohio state more deserving than either of the big 12 teams. I would lean towards tcu but they lost the head to head with Baylor and they looked bad against KU. One other game they had wasn't that great either. So I don't know. But either should get in before Ohio state.
 

eatbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
517
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas
Sure looks to me like it kind of sucks to be in the big 12 right now. :eek: :)

Looks like losing a few teams hurt a little bit. I think okie state beating OU hurt too.
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,060
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
jigs said:
no way Ohio state knocks out TCU.

And that, folks, is why Jiggsy doesn't have a paying gig anywhere as a college football analyst.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Should OSU beat Bama, I'll hear Jiggsy scream from here.... :wink: :D
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
The propaganda started last night to get Ohio State in the playoffs, by any means necessary. Heck, some of the talking heads started yakking at halftime of the Wisky vs. Ohio State game.

Of the Power 5 Conferences, one had to get left out because of only the 4 spots at the top. BUT, strength of the conferences should have had a hand in it.

Out of all the conferences, the Big 10 is the weakest by far. Count how many Big 10 teams are in the Top 25, and then count the rest..........

Not even close. Don't try to tell me that population and the ensuing popularity of Ohio State didn't have a say-so in the matter.
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,060
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
Cheese? :wink:

Over the past few weeks, the internet was rampant with people wanting Pelini fired. Suddenly, they got their wish....now those same people are frothing at the mouth wanting Bo BACK. No matter what is decided, coaching choices.....what teams are in.....what teams are out......who plays who......not everybody will be happy, no matter how persuasive their argument is.

I guess for now, I am a Buckeye fan....or is it Bucki..... :wink: :lol:
 

3 M L & C

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2010
Messages
1,182
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas
The only reason you guys are puffed up is because nebraska went to big 10. This is no better than what they were doing. Just a popularity contest. If tcu and Baylor was Oklahoma and Texas Ohio state wouldn't have made it. How in the heck does tcu rank 3 on their list last week then drop to 6 this week after winning 55-3? I'm not a Baylor fan or tcu fan but this isn't right.
 

loomixguy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 12, 2007
Messages
6,060
Reaction score
0
Location
The Dark Side
You have a point, but I'd imagine the host venue may have a say, however small, in the process as well. Bama vs. OSU will fill the stadium to capacity. Revenue will be enormous. Does Baylor or TCU command the "draw" that OSU does?

Nebraska is always a popular draw for any bowl, as these cities know Nebraska fans will travel and spend money in their local economy. Same with Ohio State.

I'd be curious to know just how much of a draw K State was when they played in NYC.

Might not be right, but you better believe it factors in, some way, some how.
 

leanin' H

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
6,094
Reaction score
448
Location
Western Utah Desert
Bet ya Baylor and TCU are pissed off tonight! Only the NCAA could have this kind of stupidity and corruption year in and year out. It's not like having the foresight to START with an eight team playoff would of hurt them? If division 2 football can do it...............But the money talks. :roll:
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
leanin' H said:
Bet ya Baylor and TCU are p****d off tonight! Only the NCAA could have this kind of stupidity and corruption year in and year out. It's not like having the foresight to START with an eight team playoff would of hurt them? If division 2 football can do it...............But the money talks. :roll:

The Committee blamed it on the Big 12 for not having a clear cut Champion, but the NCAA rules clearly state that no Conference Championship game can be played unless a conference has 12 teams.

:roll:
 

leanin' H

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 8, 2007
Messages
6,094
Reaction score
448
Location
Western Utah Desert
Mike said:
leanin' H said:
Bet ya Baylor and TCU are p****d off tonight! Only the NCAA could have this kind of stupidity and corruption year in and year out. It's not like having the foresight to START with an eight team playoff would of hurt them? If division 2 football can do it...............But the money talks. :roll:

The Committee blamed it on the Big 12 for not having a clear cut Champion, but the NCAA rules clearly state that no Conference Championship game can be played unless a conference has 12 teams.

:roll:

Why would we expect anything else? :D Me and you and loomix guy and jigs could come up with a fairer, smarter system over lunch on a napkin. They ought'a let Larry the Dr. Pepper salesman really do the playoff as it couldn't be worse. :wink:
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
leanin' H said:
Mike said:
leanin' H said:
Bet ya Baylor and TCU are p****d off tonight! Only the NCAA could have this kind of stupidity and corruption year in and year out. It's not like having the foresight to START with an eight team playoff would of hurt them? If division 2 football can do it...............But the money talks. :roll:

The Committee blamed it on the Big 12 for not having a clear cut Champion, but the NCAA rules clearly state that no Conference Championship game can be played unless a conference has 12 teams.

:roll:

Why would we expect anything else? :D Me and you and loomix guy and jigs could come up with a fairer, smarter system over lunch on a napkin. They ought'a let Larry the Dr. Pepper salesman really do the playoff as it couldn't be worse. :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Ohio State has a huge TV audience. MUCH bigger than Baylor or TCU. Get my drift? :wink:
 

eatbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 10, 2011
Messages
517
Reaction score
0
Location
Kansas
Mike said:
The propaganda started last night to get Ohio State in the playoffs, by any means necessary. Heck, some of the talking heads started yakking at halftime of the Wisky vs. Ohio State game.

Of the Power 5 Conferences, one had to get left out because of only the 4 spots at the top. BUT, strength of the conferences should have had a hand in it.

Out of all the conferences, the Big 10 is the weakest by far. Count how many Big 10 teams are in the Top 25, and then count the rest..........

Not even close. Don't try to tell me that population and the ensuing popularity of Ohio State didn't have a say-so in the matter.

There are 4 Big ten teams in AP top 25 and only 3 Big 12. There is also 4 big ten teams in playoff poll and only 3 big 12 teams
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
eatbeef said:
Mike said:
The propaganda started last night to get Ohio State in the playoffs, by any means necessary. Heck, some of the talking heads started yakking at halftime of the Wisky vs. Ohio State game.

Of the Power 5 Conferences, one had to get left out because of only the 4 spots at the top. BUT, strength of the conferences should have had a hand in it.

Out of all the conferences, the Big 10 is the weakest by far. Count how many Big 10 teams are in the Top 25, and then count the rest..........

Not even close. Don't try to tell me that population and the ensuing popularity of Ohio State didn't have a say-so in the matter.

There are 4 Big ten teams in AP top 25 and only 3 Big 12. There is also 4 big ten teams in playoff poll and only 3 big 12 teams

But there are 14 Big 10 teams total and only 10 Big 12 teams total.

33% of the Big 12 teams are in the CFP Poll

28.5% of the Big 10 teams are in the CFP Poll

78.5% of the SEC teams....................
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Mike said:
eatbeef said:
Mike said:
The propaganda started last night to get Ohio State in the playoffs, by any means necessary. Heck, some of the talking heads started yakking at halftime of the Wisky vs. Ohio State game.

Of the Power 5 Conferences, one had to get left out because of only the 4 spots at the top. BUT, strength of the conferences should have had a hand in it.

Out of all the conferences, the Big 10 is the weakest by far. Count how many Big 10 teams are in the Top 25, and then count the rest..........

Not even close. Don't try to tell me that population and the ensuing popularity of Ohio State didn't have a say-so in the matter.

There are 4 Big ten teams in AP top 25 and only 3 Big 12. There is also 4 big ten teams in playoff poll and only 3 big 12 teams

But there are 14 Big 10 teams total and only 10 Big 12 teams total.

33% of the Big 12 teams are in the CFP Poll

28.5% of the Big 10 teams are in

50% of the SEC teams....................

50% of the Pac 12 teams..............

26.6% of the ACC teams..........
 

Latest posts

Top