• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Please Watch video

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TXTibbs

Reaction score
South Central Texas, former South Dakotan
And once you watch it then please send an email to : [email protected]
and tell her how displeased you are with her irrational attempt to humanize these cattle and making the viewers of her video believe that these cows were actually cognitively thinking of the calves safety as they went across this creek!

As you can see in the video and anyone with any scrap of "cattle sense" can plainly see that these cows were not even aware they were helping the calf and in fact probably didn't know the calf was there or give two flings about him. They were simply trying to get to dry ground themselves and would have acted in the same manner in which they did regardless of that calf. Notice the first cow goes under the fence and lifts it in her attempt to reach dry ground BEFORE the calf is even stuck.

It is little rediculous videos and segments like this that give viewers who know nothing of livestock the false belief that livestock have humanistic cognitive thought and the ability to react to an emergency situation in such a way and this is just one more step in the door for PETA and other such organizations to belittle the ways of the livestock industry and provides false information to unknowing viewers which will lean them on the side of the "brave cow" which in the end does nothing but damage the reputation and security of the livestock industry across this great country!!!!!

Please speak up and email and encourage Ms. Kelli Grant to reconsider and perhaps retract her unrealistic commentary associated with this video and the article associated with it!!!!! Again her email is [email protected]

Perhaps an email to the station head wouldn't be out of line either. My emails is already on its way along with my others of whom I've heard from but if you/us as livestock producers, marketers don't stand up for yourselves no one else will.

here is the link to the video/article:

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=0,103137

TXTibbs--we saw that last night, too, and we rolled our eyes---I said it was just what the likes of PETA people needed to bolster their claims. There's a lot of trying to make bovine instinct/fear into the ability to think and reason!

The two cows were just a coincidence. That's all. It just worked out better for the calf that cow number two went under the wire, instead of over.

There is a video on Youtube that shows a herd of elephants at a water hole, and the mothers actually do get together and pull a baby out of the water. It's actually quite amazing to watch. The thought processes are very obvious in this one.

However, I believe the intelligence level of an elephant is far and away higher than that of our dear old cows. Sorry cows, as much as we love ya, it's just a fact.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd-LtWtNvDw

yes Kato I'll agree the intelligence of elephants is bar none to most species....that is a well known fact. They can make elephants stand on barrels and do tricks for god's sake.....let me see someone try to teach a Charolais that.

Anyway so does that mean your email is on its way to her? SEND ONE!

Here is my letter to Ms. Grant:

Ms. Grant,

I was alerted to this video/article and was extremely displeased with your misrepresentation and irrational attempt to humanize these cattle and making the viewers of your video believe that these cows were actually cognitively thinking of the calves safety and best interest as they went across this creek!

As you can clearly see in the video and anyone with any scrap of "cattle sense", which obviously you don't have, can plainly see that these cows were not even aware they were helping the calf and in fact probably didn't know the calf was there or give two flings about him during their own struggle to dry land. They were simply trying to get to dry ground themselves and would have acted in the same manner in which they did regardless of that calf being there or not. Notice the first cow in the beginning of the video goes under the fence and lifts it in EXACTLY the same way in her own attempt to reach dry ground BEFORE the calf is even stuck. Who was she saving Ms. Grant?

It is little rediculous videos and segments like this that give viewers who know nothing of livestock the false belief that livestock have humanistic cognitive thought and the ability to react to an emergency situation in such a way and this is just one more step in the door for PETA and other such organizations to belittle the ways of the livestock industry and provides false information to unknowing viewers which will lean them on the side of the "brave cow" which in the end does nothing but damage the reputation and security of the livestock industry across this great country!!!!!

South Dakota's foundation is from the agricultural industry and the state takes pride in that. Videos and articles like the one you wrote is a disgrace to the agricultural industry in South Dakota and the entire country.

The video standing ALONE is fine, but I strongly encourage you to reconsider and retract your unrealistic commentary with this video and the article associated with it!!!!! It is simply an uneducated response to the situation and reflects poor judgment on your part as a reporter.

The damage is done. The video is posted and thousands of viewers have probably already seen it and I know how hard it is to admit ignorance so I'm sure a follow up story explaining such is out of the question. But for future reference Ms. Grant, please take a moment and get your facts straight before clicking "post" on your next video.

Sincerely,

Levi Tibbs
Rancher/Livestock Producer/Animal Science Graduate from SDSU/PROUD supporter of the Livestock/Agriculture Industry ( I could go on...)

I also sent an e mail telling the lady how far off she w3as!
You said it better Tibbs

It is a sad sad day for the livestock industry as a follow up on the "saved calf" story aired tonight on Keloland news at 10 in Sioux Falls interviewing the owner of the cattle.

The ignorant ignorant man, Tim Long, backed up the claim that indeed the cows were saving the calf. WHAT????? AHHHHHHHH I wonder if he knows what a kick to the gonads that was for the livestock industry. He just as well become a member of PETA the way he just opened the door and give them a big wet sloppy kiss with this story. I honestly hope PETA camps outside his place and protests him when he tries to sell his BRAVE BRAVE cattle! Then see what kind of tune that stupid man sings.

The ignorance of people never ceases to amaze me and quite frankly it scares me. But to hear such smut coming from someone who raises cattle and that is involved in livestock just makes you vehemently mad...just plumb venomous. How can someone be so damn stupid.

You should google this and read the comments this story has gotten in the Los Angelas Times and other newspapers across the country.....it would make you SICK.

Here is the story that aired but I warn you it will make you want to hurt someone.....

http://www.keloland.com/NewsDetail6162.cfm?Id=103208

:shock:

I never cease to be amazed.
I have a question. I've not seen cattle cross a river unless
they were being pushed from behind. So, who was pushing
these cattle and how did it happen to be filmed?

This is ridiculous. I love animals as much as anyone,
but to tell me a cow can REASON :shock: is just too much.

You're right Tibbs. This will come back and bite us in the butt.

Wonder if the follow-up had anything to do with the
emails received on this incident. The pen is mightier than
the sword...

Even if the follow up story WAS associated with the vast amount of emails sent, every single email that was sent was completely discredited by that ignorant ignorant moron owner of the cattle, Tim Long, when he agreed with the "they saved the calf" story.....what a joke to anyone who raises cattle!

Now his ugly mug is going to be smeared all over the internet agreeing that the brave brave cows dove in simply to save this drowning calf.....he even says "best he can tell" the first cow was the calves mother.....oh and I spose the second one who ran to help was gramma cow??!! WHAT CRAP....first off, there is simply NO WAY a calf is going to dive into water like that before his mother......second off, if you watch the video there is a cow in front of the calf before he gets swept away that he is following practically nose to tail and I guarantee that cow was his mother and once she reached dry ground all she was going to do was turn and maybe bust a beller.....sure as hell wasn't going to dive back in to "save" anything.

After seeing this statement from the dumb owner, anyone who says that these cows weren't saving this calf will be the idiot now since the owner of the cattle says it is true....cuz hell he knows his cattle right and if he says so then hell it must be true right? That is the sad truth of how our damn society works and how these wild eyed salad eaters will view it......these cows are "heroes" now....google them.

I swear........ :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Latest posts