• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Poacher or Predator or Something Else?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds

Reaction score
Hubby went out and did a head count and found out we are missing an animal.
He goes out driving around and finds a bunch of bones in the northern part of our pasture to the west of the spring, but within sight of the road.

Figure it could have been a predator, a poacher or she got hurt or sick and died. Now we just need to figure out which one it is. Hubby is pretty sure it is a heifer.

Since all he found is bones we can only guess at the cause of death.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Hubby went out and did a head count and found out we are missing an animal.
He goes out driving around and finds a bunch of bones in the northern part of our pasture to the west of the spring, but within sight of the road.

Figure it could have been a predator, a poacher or she got hurt or sick and died. Now we just need to figure out which one it is. Hubby is pretty sure it is a heifer.

Since all he found is bones we can only guess at the cause of death.

Strange things happen. Many moons ago, we found a dairy cow dead in the pasture pretty close to a road. She had been shot between the eyes and all four quarters were removed and taken almost surgically. Somebody just wanted some free meat/beef.

It really doesn't matter at this point, does it? (OOPS, I'm sounding like Hillary-- :shock: --heaven forbid!!). Anyway, you can drive yourself nuts trying to figure it out. I know, been there, done that, and the critter is still dead.

Hope you don't lose anymore.

Goodness....sounds like you need to get out and should do head counts more often if you wait till you are just finding bones................. :roll: :roll: :roll:

kolanuraven said:
Goodness....sounds like you need to get out and should do head counts more often if you wait till you are just finding bones................. :roll: :roll: :roll:

With my little herd I do a head count at least once a day and usually more - - - but I know that would not be realistic in a larger herd.

I give them one square bale a day, with 18 head that is about 3 1/2 # per head per day and I feed about 1/2 of that in the summer. They have 24 hour access to round bales. Very easy to check the herd!

Yep- and the good thing with brands and brand inspection- plus we put a personalized ID tag in their ear--- often the missing do show up..
When I brought the pairs off the community pasture mid-Oct I was missing 1 steer calf- and it was apparent from looking at the cow that he had been missing for awhile...
A quick trip around the pasture showed no sign- but since its several thousand acres, that didn't surprise me....
First part of January I get a call from some neighbors that run next to the pasture- they found that steer calf in with theirs... :D
Few days later I picked the calf up- hauled to the ring- and had a $1000+ dollars in the pocket that I had not really expected I may get :D :D

kolanuraven said:

For the love.... You run in the breaks and you'd react the same way I just did to your post.

Oldtimer said:
Yep- and the good thing with brands and brand inspection- plus we put a personalized ID tag in their ear--- often the missing do show up..
When I brought the pairs off the community pasture mid-Oct I was missing 1 steer calf- and it was apparent from looking at the cow that he had been missing for awhile...
A quick trip around the pasture showed no sign- but since its several thousand acres, that didn't surprise me....
First part of January I get a call from some neighbors that run next to the pasture- they found that steer calf in with theirs... :D
Few days later I picked the calf up- hauled to the ring- and had a $1000+ dollars in the pocket that I had not really expected I may get :D :D
Did ya reimburse him for any of his feed costs or yardage for taken care of it?
Did ya give him more than a thank you?

Kola hubby has been the one feeding them while I have been working in town. Also hard to get in a truck without a running board with a bum knee.
As cold as it has been the yotes cleaned that cow up pretty good.

Think we figured out which one it was. Definately a young heifer teeth were in great shape. No ear tag and not enough hide to even find any hair.

Frank in West Dakota said:
Oldtimer said:

Way to go Frank!!! :clap: :nod: Make it warm up would ya? :D

they can be cleaned to the bones pretty quick buzzards and yotes I have seen there not much left overnight. this time of year I find baby calves by the buzzards circling over they are pretty hungry with all the snow.

Oldtimer said:

I had a tagless bull calf missing that showed up months later in a pasture 8-10 miles from me. I told the guy to take him to the sale barn and save me half the check.

He told me to turn 20-30 more out. :lol:

jcarkie not many of them nasty buzzards up here. I know about the ones you are talking about.
Our biggest problem is big or little "dogs".

Lost a 3 year old quite awhile back. Looked like she had gotten into a shoving match with another cow and got pushed off the dam at the old reservoir. Found her about a day or so after it happened. Checked back a few days later and all that was there was lots of predator tracks. No hair nor bones anywhere.

With this one it is more a bit of cussing and some wondering but nothing we can do to change it.

Frank in West Dakota said:
Oldtimer said:

Oh ya- we thanked them and they were happy they could help us out... Wasn't much for feed or yardage they had put into him as they had just gathered their pasture- and didn't notice it was there for a few days...

Up here when you clean out a pasture you gather up all-especially if you find a neighbors animal that you know has already gathered-- and then sort it out when you get them home or to some corrals... Quite frequent to have one or several strays in a gather... Easily taken care of with a phone call or short trailer trip...
Two years ago- we hauled back a pair of theirs that had wound up in with our cows... What goes around- comes around...

We too always have a few neighbours cattle in our bunch when they come in in the fall, and our neighbours will have a few of ours. It's standard procedure to bring your stock trailer when you go help with the preg testing so you can haul your own home.

Many years ago shortly after weaning we had a couple 100 heifer calves and they ran one night went every direction except up and we rode several days finding them all, anyway to make a long story short we figured we might be short some. Went on 2 years and a neighbor stoped in at the hayfield one day and wanted to know what we did to cattle rustlers? We had a time trying to figure out what he was getting at and he had discovered a 2 old heifer with our brand and the calf had his brand. We all had a good laugh and come fall he got the calf and we picked up the heifer.Never did find out where some of the others went.

Latest posts