• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

polygamy

Help Support Ranchers.net:

actually the show is about consenting adults who each made their own decisions.
In the episode I saw, there was a reference to a young girl who had been married at 14, and the main characters discussed what a terrible thing that would be. Their oldest daughter was only 14... could you imagine??
That sort of thing. Obviously stressing that that was not okay.

Polygamy simply means multiple spouses.

Kidnapping is still kidnapping. Rape is still rape. And pedophilia is still pedophilia. Or statutory rape, if you prefer.

This thread was discussing polygamy alone. And the humor that would go with it.

HMW did you read any of the book by Ann Eliza Young? This is a real first hand acount of life in a polygamous relationship. It doesn't sound like a good life or any fun for the women involved or the children born into those relationships.

I haven't watched the show but it sounds like they are using humor to put a positive spin on something ugly that has caused a lot of grief, heartache and shame for the women and children involved.

I know quite a few women and children who have suffered the feelings of grief, heartache and shame that come with knowing their husband or father has been unfaithful. In the book I mentioned those women involved seemded to suffer with the same feelings but were for the most part forced to accept polygamy because gods profit Joseph Smith told them they had to.

Can I ask a question that may seem stupid? Isn't Polygamy illegal?? I'm positive it is in Canada!!

forced to accept

We're still talking different things.
I can think of women who were abused in their marriages. But I'm capable of seeing abuse and marriage as two different things that happened to occur in the same instance.

I am concerned that it's really sensationalism

I don't think so. I think it's more the case of putting new spin on an old story. In this case, three spins. My husband, after watching last week, decided that there was no way he'd ever again think a polygamist was lucky...
confused-smiley-013.gif

YEAP it sure is....... well in all the states I know.
Now the state fatuousness it may be allowed............

Not sure how the men can keep more than one woman happy......Most I know have NO clue as to how to keep one happy let alone more than one.
I have NEVER been one to share now or ever.
Dont mean to be crude but I heard it put one time ....fits very well in this situation

I dont do sloppy seconds........... :oops: :shock: :eek: :x

I know humor is being frowned upon on this thread BUT I can't stand my daughter and daughter-in-law in my kitchen,when I'm cooking or baking! It would be a cat fight if there was another wife in there,humor maybe but I'm TOTALLY serious!!!

I'm surprised that as leader of our country, Bill Clinton didn't get a "revelation" that polygamy should be legal, accepted, and respected. :wink: In retrospect, he probably did, but just had trouble getting the rest of the country to "respect" and accept it. :wink: :)

Mrs.Greg said:
I know humor is being frowned upon on this thread BUT I can't stand my daughter and daughter-in-law in my kitchen,when I'm cooking or baking! It would be a cat fight if there was another wife in there,humor maybe but I'm TOTALLY serious!!!

Too many cooks spoil the broth. How about, "too many cooks cause a brothel"? Just wondering. :???: :? :wink: :)

Mrs.Greg said:

For the most part, this has been a humorous thread from the beginning. :)
And I completely agree about being able to share my kitchen.
I have a good friend who had to move with her family into her mother in law's when her husband when back to school. Big house, but it wasn't hers. Everything had to pass approval of her MIL. What she made for supper was never right. She didn't spoil her husband enough.
You can pretty much guess.
And I'm sure it got to be just as hard for her MIL. It has to be difficult to share your home like that.

Oh!!! I had one of " those" MIL....She said I took her " boy" from her!!! Well....guess what....I gave him back!!! :D :D :D

She called me a few months after the divorce was final and all she said on my answer machine was...." NOW I understand!!"

Hope she's happy...cause I've been dancing ever since!!!! :wink:

kolanuraven said:
Oh!!! I had one of " those" MIL....She said I took her " boy" from her!!! Well....guess what....I gave him back!!! :D :D :D

She called me a few months after the divorce was final and all she said on my answer machine was...." NOW I understand!!"

Hope she's happy...cause I've been dancing ever since!!!! :wink:

DW Gothe has a song about two people splitting up. My favorite line in it goes,

"You said, that when I died
you'd dance upon my grave
I said OK fine with me
But when you do
bring your mother along
cuz I'm gettin' buried at sea!"

I had a wonderful step MIL and the other one and I don't talk that often. But then she don't talk to my wife that often either!
:twisted:

'Nuff said!

Soapweed said:
Mrs.Greg said:

Too many cooks spoil the broth. How about, "too many cooks cause a brothel"? Just wondering. :???: :? :wink: :)
LOL good one Soapweed,and a different twist on the topic! Too many wives could be a brothel :wink:

Speaking of which...why are men applauded for "helping out" with stuff like laundry, dishes or child care?
My husband used to get rather irriated when people would simper over the fact that he was so involved with our kids ("you change diapers, even!" :roll: )

"Do people miss the fact that our kids have two parents?" :?

My husband (better half) and I are PARTNERS. When one is gone, the other takes up the slack to get the job done because it needs to get done. I am grateful my better half does these things, and I let him know. He is grateful I do those things, and he lets me know. We are partners. :D :D

BTW, what has this got to do with polygamy????? :???:

Well duh, Hanta. With poligimy, you'd hace more partners! Many hands make for a light work load, and all that...... :eek:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:wink:

Hanta Yo said:
My husband (better half) and I are PARTNERS. When one is gone, the other takes up the slack to get the job done because it needs to get done. I am grateful my better half does these things, and I let him know. He is grateful I do those things, and he lets me know. We are partners. :D :D

BTW, what has this got to do with polygamy????? :???:

Read the last page, and you'll see the conversation shift.

And we have the same setup in our house. but that wasn't my question.
My question was why men are usually applauded for it. Women aren't. And if that doesn't happen in your part of the world, you must live in a far more liberal corner than i do. :)

Latest posts