• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

poor folks at the food shelf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

joaker

Reaction score
Today as I was working my "9-5" job, I went to one of my regular stops. The husband and wife that own the shop also run the local food shelf. The wife asked me if I like pears; well yeah. They had two cases of fresh pears and couldn't give them away because the "poor folks" don't like them. Seems they only like processed food because they don't know how to cook. A fresh pear; you hold in one hand and eat. Seems they don't really like fresh fruit. Well this poor person had a couple during the day.

Tonight when I got home my daughter (just had jaw surgery on wednesday) wanted cheesey mashed spuds for dinner. I got out a few fresh ones I grew and made them. Really how tough is it to cook? No wonder most of these food shelf people are "slightly overweight".

It's true. My Mom works at the local ' church store' where they sell clothes and have a food bank.

This summer we had a bumper garden and she took the extra out there to give to people.

Most of them refused the corn, okra, beans etc for the same reason you state and just too lazy to cook was excuse some gave.

It happens in this part of the country also. Local meat cutter was supplying deer meat donated from hunters he cut and wrap at his own cost. The soup kitchen he was sending it to told him they would only accept meat cut into 1 inch cubes. Guess they arn't that hungry around there or nobody knows how to cut a steak.

That's why we need more free handout/bailouts for irresponsible people who get in over thrie heads and stand around waiting to be rescued! Instead of handing out veggies and meat, hand out shovels and seeds and see if they'll eat what they grow themselves. As a firefighter we go help lots and lots of folks who go out unprepared, ill-equipped and underqualifyed and end up lost, cold, hungry and in serious trouble. Sure would be nice if people thought more and were stupid less! :D

What is that saying, "Give a man a fish, feed him for a day; teach him to fish and you feed him for life."
Give me the boxes of pears and they would be canned and on my basement shelves within a couple of hours.
Not knowing how to cook is a p*ss poor excuse.

After we butcher we take our leftover meat from the previous butchering to Meals On Wheels. Those old folks just love us for it. Alot of them are retired farm and ranch folks. Got some beef, lamb and pork for them this fall. There should be some really happy people out there.

leanin' H you know that won't ever happen. They leave their brains at home.
I still call a guy the Toilet Paper Arsonist. :lol:

There are so many examples of this type of behavior in society - and nature - it's pathetically sad. People start to get handouts, and they become lazy. The homeless, the so-called poor, the "oppressed" minorities, the "cheated and manipulated" First Nations, the list goes on and on. If you feed some over and over, why would they expect to have to work for anything? If you never make your child clean their room, why would you be shocked when they don't know how to do it when they move out?
In nature, deer in bad weather become dependant on feedstacks or grain piles around here. What happens when the feed's used up? They starve. What happens to cows who are raised to eat from pails, trucks, tractors and feed wagons, when they get kicked out in the hills to graze? They bawl at the gate.

When I see people in line for food or handouts, I can't help but think of cows at the gate. Are they to blame, or are we? They're only doing what they're trained to do.

I cannot remember who said it but the quote is something like a democracy can only last until the lazy people figure out they can vote themselves free everything then it will collapase as sooner or later the working people will give in and quit working for the lazy and the whole thing will end.

I think this election proves the point.

If Brrack Obama is to believed we only need 5% of the people to work hard and they will take the rewards they have earned and distribuate them to the 95% who don't care to work and we will all be happy. What happens when the 5% get tired of giving up the fruits of their labor and try to join the 95% ?

cowzilla said:
It happens in this part of the country also. Local meat cutter was supplying deer meat donated from hunters he cut and wrap at his own cost. The soup kitchen he was sending it to told him they would only accept meat cut into 1 inch cubes. Guess they arn't that hungry around there or nobody knows how to cut a steak.

A few yrs ago a BIG doe came into the yard that had most of her front leg shot off by some hunter with deer fever! She was in bad shape so I shot her to get her out of her misery.

I called a family that I knew was in bad shape....lots of kids...and no jobs...etc, and asked them if they wanted the deer, as it was fresh meat and shot clean and ready to butcher.

The hubby held his hand over the phone while talking with his wife....then came back and said, " We would love it.....but make sure you save the hide for me and we only want one of the hams and the tenderlion"

WTF?????? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: For the first time in my life...I was truly speechless!!

So, I staked her out and used her for 'yote bait and killed ' yotes off her for about 2 days.

One of my sister-in-laws just came by to "borrow" $20.00 for food. I ask what she was going to go get and she stated bread and other things to eat. Two of my wifes sisters age 53 and 51 and one of her brothers age 45 all still live together the oldest sister has an 18 year old son and the younger has a 14 year old daughter. :( :( :(

I have used my contacts several times to get them jobs and none of them have ever worked over a week or two befor quiting as the jobs just wern't what they want to do. :???: :?

Instead of giving her $20.00 I went to the cubbard and got her two loaves of bread, got in the freezer and got her several pot pies, a gallon of milk, 1/2 gallon of orange juice, jar of peanut butter. While I was putting these things in a box she stated she did not want them :???: she wanted the money so she could get what she wants. :eek: I refused but my wife gave her the money and after she left told me to not be so controling.

USED WIFE FOR SALE - - - NO REFUNDS! :mad:

The Brits have a good system here, there is a drop off point in the villages where we all leave surplus fruit and veg from the garden, you can take what you can use, at the moment there is a glut of apples, I had surplus tomatoes, marrows and squash this year (late start arriving here late to clear AND plant) but by evening there is nothing left at the drop off, between pensioners, low income farm workers, and people swapping their surplus produce fo things they don't have, everything is quickly taken.

This may be only a very small portion of the people who need food not wanting anything that has to be cooked: some don't have stoves and/or pots/pans. Just a microwave and dishes. Most likely that is people living in older motel/hotel type places that have been either leased or purchased to house "the poor" in cities.

Sad situation when people do not have to earn their food in some way, however small.

A hand up is so much better for anyone in need than is a hand out.

mrj

PureCountry said:
There are so many examples of this type of behavior in society - and nature - it's pathetically sad. People start to get handouts, and they become lazy. The homeless, the so-called poor, the "oppressed" minorities, the "cheated and manipulated" First Nations, the list goes on and on. If you feed some over and over, why would they expect to have to work for anything? If you never make your child clean their room, why would you be shocked when they don't know how to do it when they move out?
In nature, deer in bad weather become dependant on feedstacks or grain piles around here. What happens when the feed's used up? They starve. What happens to cows who are raised to eat from pails, trucks, tractors and feed wagons, when they get kicked out in the hills to graze? They bawl at the gate.

When I see people in line for food or handouts, I can't help but think of cows at the gate. Are they to blame, or are we? They're only doing what they're trained to do.
I think it's important to remember we should never assume the situation of others,when you see someone in line chances are the're part of the working poor.People that do actually work a couple low paying,dead end jobs,and most of thier income goes to absorbent rents and utilities,& fuel to commute to those jobs.Also a majority in my estimation of Americans grew up not learning how to cook and prepare a meal.Fast food rearing,so to speak.I think lots of us in the sticks that had to learn to cook and are use to and enjoy cooking,baking,gardening and putting in for the winter grew up in a different environment .Not trying to make a excuse for them,just a possible reason why the're in those lines.

Latest posts