• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Post office is seeking help in ND and NW Mt.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
We received a flyer in the mail that says "Employment Opportunity".
from the post office.

Explore and Apply
for career opportunities
with the Postal service

Wages $9.45-$21.66

Postal customer:

We need your help. No one knows better than you

what the impact has been as the result of the oil

boom in your area. The influx of new jobs and new people

into the NW North Dakota and NE Montana area has

provided new employment opportunities for the postal

service. The postal service is a great place to work!

We need your help in getting the word out. Encourage your

family and friends to explore and apply for postal opportunities

in the Postal service today.

Go to http://about.usps.com/careers/

for more information.

Immediate openings available in nearby offices,

APPLY TODAY!

And what's the unemployment rate in MT? 7 - 8 % ?

They should be handing those flyers out at the unemployment office and stopping benefits for anyone who doesn't apply!
SL

Unemployment in ND with a brain = 0.

I heard on the radio that statewide was under 3% with people coming in from a lot af other states. The trouble with the oil boom is housing is so high that seniors are being forced to move to other states.

Here is a picture a friend posted on FB this morning:

316046_10150427058753217_501933216_8624555_2001983884_n.jpg

Labeled : Oil Boom + ND = Out of State Drivers + Snow =????
Welcome to North Dakota

This is supposed to be east of Williston....

Last I heard on the radio was that many eastern Montana's counties unemployment is just over 2%... And you don't need a CDL or anything to get a truckdrivers job in the oil patch- just be a warm body that can sit in the seat and point it down the road.....

Last I heard on the radio was that many eastern Montana's counties unemployment is just over 2%... And you don't need a CDL or anything to get a truckdrivers job in the oil patch- just be a warm body that can sit in the seat and point it down the road.....

I had a truck driving job when that was the requirement. It can get a little scary.

Oldtimer said:

Welcome to North Dakota

that picture is not from the Williston area, but i'm sure one similar could be take here shortly. :wink:

Oldtimer said:

Welcome to North Dakota

Drivers might not need a CDL, but they need to pass a random drug
test and therein lies the problem.........companies are desperate
for reliable drivers around here.

all i could think of when i saw the pic, OT, was WOWWW.....glad i am within walking distance to my job!!! cold, snowy and windy, but still safer than those drivers!!

FH----amazing that they are so desperate for more postal workers when they are threatening to close so many other little post offices all over montana....maybe some of those out of work folks should head that way!!

We were amazed at what nice/big post offices alot of the little towns in Mt had when we made our tour in Sept.

Oldtimer said:

Welcome to North Dakota

Seen this same picture last year, and was supposed to be on QE2 in Alberta.

Not sure where you got that info Oldtimer, but you do need a CDL to drive most anything but a farm truck in ND. You also need a haz license if you haul most anything else in the patch except pipe. Also a special license to pull doubles.

The small post office north of me is closing because they are only offering $10 per hour. Fast food places are paying $12-15.

Housing is the biggest problem. Many people living in tents & vehicles that have never faced a ND winter are in for a rude awakening. It is not only seniors getting pushed out. They talked to a lady with 2 kids living in a two bedroom apt. She was paying $600 per month and barely making it. Now they raised the rent to $2550 for a two bedroom. She is forced to move. Some places are charging $1000 per month just to park your camper or RV.
There are definately two sides to an oil boom!

fedup2 said:
Not sure where you got that info Oldtimer, but you do need a CDL to drive most anything but a farm truck in ND. You also need a haz license if you haul most anything else in the patch except pipe. Also a special license to pull doubles.

The law requires it-- but some of the trucking firms aren't...They can't find enough live bodies let alone those with CDL's.... Of the last 3 trucks hit by trains at crossings near Williston (an almost monthly event anymore) none of the drivers had CDL's....
Even here- the Drivers Examiner has been months behind in processing and giving CDL driving exams ...

Oil speculation spreads to the Rocky Mtn front

HELENA (AP) — Speculation that the oil-rich Bakken shale formation may extend as far west as the Rocky Mountain Front is sparking increased leasing of land along the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains and in northcentral Montana.

"This area has a lot of similar characteristics to the Bakken in Eastern Montana — it's like a baby brother," Primary Petroleum president Mike Marrandino said last week. "It's shallower, so it's more accessible and you don't have to compete with rigs in the western basin like in Eastern Montana, so your costs are less."

Three companies have either drilled or received permits to drill 37 exploration wells on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in Glacier County since 2009. In the past year, at least 14 companies or individuals have spent millions of dollars to lease hundreds of parcels in Glacier, Teton, Toole, Pondera, Cascade and Lewis and Clark counties.

Marrandino said his company has been interested in exploration along the Front since about 2005, but three test wells drilled in 2009 and released in February 2010 that is spurring the latest land rush on oil leases.
The results estimated there were 13 million to 15 million barrels of recoverable oil per square mile, Marrandino said.

While oil leases in the Bakken formation in Canada and eastern North Dakota were selling for nearly $3,000 an acre, and few were available, leases along the Front ranged from $1.50 to $390 per acre.

Jim Jensen, executive director of the Montana Environmental Information Center, noted that many people believed the Front — an area rich in wildlife — was put off-limits to oil and gas exploration when leases on federal lands were bought over the past five years. However, state and private property still can be leased and developed.

HELENA (AP) — Speculation that the oil-rich Bakken shale formation may extend as far west as the Rocky Mountain Front is sparking increased leasing of land along the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains and in northcentral Montana.

"This area has a lot of similar characteristics to the Bakken in Eastern Montana — it's like a baby brother," Primary Petroleum president Mike Marrandino said last week. "It's shallower, so it's more accessible and you don't have to compete with rigs in the western basin like in Eastern Montana, so your costs are less."

Three companies have either drilled or received permits to drill 37 exploration wells on the Blackfeet Indian Reservation in Glacier County since 2009. In the past year, at least 14 companies or individuals have spent millions of dollars to lease hundreds of parcels in Glacier, Teton, Toole, Pondera, Cascade and Lewis and Clark counties.

Marrandino said his company has been interested in exploration along the Front since about 2005, but three test wells drilled in 2009 and released in February 2010 that is spurring the latest land rush on oil leases.
The results estimated there were 13 million to 15 million barrels of recoverable oil per square mile, Marrandino said.

While oil leases in the Bakken formation in Canada and eastern North Dakota were selling for nearly $3,000 an acre, and few were available, leases along the Front ranged from $1.50 to $390 per acre.

Jim Jensen, executive director of the Montana Environmental Information Center, noted that many people believed the Front — an area rich in wildlife — was put off-limits to oil and gas exploration when leases on federal lands were bought over the past five years. However, state and private property still can be leased and developed.

OT...don't know if that includes your location or not but I can assure you that an attorney will be well worth his money many times over when they approach you to lease.

TexasBred said:

OT...don't know if that includes your location or not but I can assure you that an attorney will be well worth his money many times over when they approach you to lease.

Yep-- we've been considered in the Williston Basin for years- and now the Bakken zone- and this expands the speculation about 300 miles west of us... We've had some land leased here for years-- but a lot of the local leases come due again for releasing next year...We've got a local group of landowners all with land in the same areas- that have an attorney- and keeps everyone informed on what is going on with the negotiating process...

Somehow- with the fact that with the current technology they claim they have been hitting producing wells on 99.5% of the holes they drill now- and they just drilled one about 5 miles from a chunk I own- and another now being drilled a few miles away--- I think the price may be going up- and they may be going after many more chunks of land...

But also like the fella that just had the well drilled on their ranch said- "I don't care what they pay/paid for the lease- as long as they drill"..

True...for several reasons. We need the production AND the monthly royalty is much nicer than the upfront bonus money. With all the action around you should be able to negotiate a good lease. Best wishes.

Heres another satellite picture- from the National Weather Service- that shows the northern US... And the picture pinpointed Williston- is so big because of the Bakken field drilling...

http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/ggw/pdf/IssShotx.jpg

How deep are they drilling up there? They have been drilling for natural gas around here from the last 10 years. They been drilling 18,000 to just over 20,000 feet in some areas. They said drilling rigs are hard to come by around here because whats happening up there. Plus natural gas is pretty cheap now to.

Trinity man said:
How deep are they drilling up there? They have been drilling for natural gas around here from the last 10 years. They been drilling 18,000 to just over 20,000 feet in some areas. They said drilling rigs are hard to come by around here because whats happening up there. Plus natural gas is pretty cheap now to.

Less than $4.00 a thousand cubic feet...a lot of new drilling beginning down in South Texas in the Eagle Ford Formation. It's suppose to be big too.

All this area up here near us is over the Williston Basin- which has now been said to be over the Bakken Field- has gas EVERYWHERE ....Punch a hole and there is gas... Now it sounds like they are going a little deeper (5500-6000 feet) and getting into the oil sands...

Reason they haven't punched more gas wells- is because there is not enough pipeline infrastructure to handle it... Between the greeny weenies and the NIMBYS its hard to develop the pipeline infrastructure to transport energy any distance- which we saw lately with Greeny Weenies crawling in bed with all the Nebraska NIMBY'S... :(
All want the cheaper domestic energy- but no-one wants it transported thru their area... :roll: :(

I sent that Tribune article to my sister in Texas yesterday- who still has 1/8th the the mineral rights... And as I told her- IF they come in offering $3000 an acre for just the re-leases- that would be about 1/2 a Million $--- but if they came in and offered the same on all the stuff they have leased and dropped- and piddled around with for years (and now is supposedly showing big signs of oil) -- that would be over $4.8 Million in leases alone :D

Ain't gonna happen- but you always need to be optomistic and dream a little :p :D

But I agree with the neighbor- he!! with what they pay for leases--- bring on the rigs!!!.

Latest posts