• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Potential Cows - Advice?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BuckJones

Reaction score
Hey,

So i've been on the lookout for some cows for my bull to start building a herd.
This is the bull:
Our%20boy%2031W-on%20right.jpg

Haven't had a lot of luck finding some cows...not that I expected to have much.

However, some cow/calf pairs showed up in a couple of auctions here.

The first are some BA/simmi x pairs from Ian Hutcheon by the BC/US Border selling on the 19th here in Kamloops: http://bclivestock.bc.ca/kamloops.php

Here are a couple that I like from them:
hutch2296.jpg

hutch2287.jpg

And here are some RA/Simmi cows that will be for sale in WL beginning of May: http://bclivestock.bc.ca/williamslake.php
These are a couple of cows that I like from that Herd:
KK46.JPG

KK50.JPG

KK78.JPG

I'm looking at buying 5-10 pairs depending on price. My strategy is to pick out the ones with steers so that I will have something to sell this fall, possibly to 4-H kids. Then use that money to purchase a heifer bull and some heifers...those are much easier to find than cows. ;) Only thing being, my uncle who is the financier, would prefer not to take the risk of losing heifers in their first calf.

These are the considerations I have made:

Black cows are black...both I and the 4-H kids I will be selling to would prefer black calves although they won't turn away a good red. The blacks are raised down by the US/BC Border and the auction is 3 hours away.

Red cows. There is a cool roan in that herd that I like. These ones also appear to have much more capacity. They are more local. The auction is an hour away. Downside, they are red. It appears the calves in this group have more bone and depth as compared to the black calves. This could be due to the bull used, just an observation.

These are my very simple considerations. I'm probably missing quite a bit. What are your thoughts?

A more appropriate question is, what's wrong with me? It is that I have spent too much time on Steerplanet and been brainwashed that black is better. :S
Not sure how this colour preference came to be because when I was in 4-H, I would not even consider a black steer.

I suppose I should apply the same logic when picking cows as I did when I picked this bull. That is - good cattle are good cattle. It doesn't help that the more I look at this roan, the more I like her. :)

buck jones, those red cows are the kk cows and they are simmental back ground. the owners have been buying the best simmental bulls they can get for the last 30 years.using red angus on their heifers.that roan is an older cow this herd has been buying the red simmi bulls for the last 5or 6 years

Imma fool for steers...this is why I need others insight now and then.

By now i've made up my mind to get the reds. :)

Your post about having bought the bull- now looking for some cows made me chuckle...Usually happens the other way around...

Made me think that at least you're not like the folks in Stay Away Joe- that the government gave 20 cows and a bull- and they were so happy they decided to have a feast, so butchered and ate the bull.... :wink: :p :lol:

Lol. I always think the same thing. We had some herefords, but sold most of them. We kept three of the nicer ones. I ended up with this bull because I was working with these guys on getting ready a couple of calves for showing and after seeing this guy in the pen a few times, I couldn't leave him there. I asked my uncle to buy him...he said if you have a bull, ur gonna need some cows. So i'm lookin for cows. ;)

Latest posts