• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

preg check trainwreck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rightwinger82

Reaction score
Just looking for a little advice. The back story has to come first. I have a small heard of 24 commercial black angus cows that are 6 years old.I always had 2 angus bulls till this year, one failed his test so I ran with just one bull 5 years old. I planned on replacing the bull this winter. I have added no stock to the herd in 4 years. Never had a critter out or a neighbors in to my knowledge. Turned the bull in may 27th thought the cows were settled by mid july I wasn't seeing any activity. Then in mid september I started to see activity again, and it looked like the bull was getting them covered. Well I preged a week ago 7 of the 24 are open. So I took the bull and 7 opens to the vet clinic bull passed his test with flying colors. All 7 of the cows ultra sounded open but showed signs of being bred at one time. The vet saw no signs of pus which he said would likely be present if trich was the cause. He pulled sample on the bull to test for trich. Then the vet said it looked like it could be dd (developmental duplication). I was unfamiliar with dd but have read the thread on the subject from a year ago. Looking at my bulls pedigree new design 1407 was his great granddad. Nothing closer in relation has been tested. If dd were to blame it may have been covered up in the past when I had another bull in the herd. I'm not opposed to getting the bull dd tested, just thought i'd see if the were any other ideas out there. Would kinda like to narrow down the posibilities as to the cause of the trainwreck.

Test has not come back yet. To my knowledge this has been a closed herd for 5 years. I don't expect it to be trich. Plan on doing the dd test. Anything else I should test for?

Were they short of Calcium? Have heard of wrecks where the mineral balance was way wrong, and /or no mineral, or at least no Calcium.

Are the females related to the bull? You'll probably want to test your bull for DD if trich is ruled out. 1407 is DDC. Amazing how it can trickle down through the generations of a pedigree. You said you saw them as re-breeds in Sept and they're still open?
Some years back, I had a bull whose calves were total mutants. He was the only common denominator. I never did find a reason and I tested him for everything. The salebarn was his final test! I had a high percentage of opens and the remaining calves were born alive but died within hours of birth. It's frustrating as L. You have my sympathy.

The open cows are 6 years old. I will wait on further testing until after the trich test ( I REALLY doubt Its trich). I don't think its the vets fault either.

DejaVu said:
Are the females related to the bull? You'll probably want to test your bull for DD if trich is ruled out. 1407 is DDC. Amazing how it can trickle down through the generations of a pedigree. You said you saw them as re-breeds in Sept and they're still open?
Some years back, I had a bull whose calves were total mutants. He was the only common denominator. I never did find a reason and I tested him for everything. The salebarn was his final test! I had a high percentage of opens and the remaining calves were born alive but died within hours of birth. It's frustrating as L. You have my sympathy.

Hard to tell if they are related being commercial cows. Yes still open, what I read on dd most would result in embryonic death. What would the effect of embryonic death be to the cows fertility?

What I meant was, are these daughters from your bulls? Embryonic death shouldn't have any effect on the cows fertility as it's genetic not infectious. She'll just keep cycling till something sticks. It's hard on your checking account. I hope it's not trich either.

If a DDF cow is bred to a DDC bull, there is a 50% chance of affected calves.

Did your vet say anything about the cows being cystic?

DejaVu said:
What I meant was, are these daughters of your bulls? Embryonic death shouldn't have any effect on the cows fertility. She's just keep cycling till something sticks. It's just hard on your checking account. I hope it's not trich either.

NO, not the bulls daughters.

What about any toxic plants in your grazing area? Has there been any other bulls near you come up with Trich?

This is an interesting article:
http://www.americancattlemen.com/articles/disease-prevention

It breaks down the main causes of abortion in cattle. I wondered about Neospora. It's carried by coyotes.

When will the trich test result come back?

Latest posts