• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

preg check trainwreck

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I kinda have to agree with redrobin here, at least if it were trich, it would be a positive diagnosis. Look in a veterinary handbook and there are a couple hundred things that could cause a situation like this, none of which are super common. Just for grins we sent in DNA for dd testing. I have been reading a little on sweet clover poisoning, and pseudo estrus in cattle. After a couple years of drought we had some moister, and a bumper crop of yellow and white sweet clover. The pasture they went into July 10th was covered in clover, what's bred seems to be bred before that. I weighed up the opens and the bull so I will be somewhat limited to what tests I will be able to have run. Gonna make some changes to the pregguard vaccination program. The neighbor preg checked today only had one open out of 50. One vet told me there has been some ibr rednose in the area, I would have thought my vaccination program would cover that. Perhaps a mistake I made was to use vira shield 6, a killed vaccine where I had always done modified live in the past. I did that only because I was following label directions and I was later this spring working calves. Talked with 3 area vets and none have heard of hardjo bovis in the area, I think that would be worth testing. But where i sold the opens.........

Hands down would bet the phytoestrogens in clover would cause you problems. Also, a change in the grazing plants available could also bump some pregnancies.

Don't be hard on yourself for using Vira-Shield 6. We used Vira-Shield for years with excellent results. Finally, with all the hoopla on modified live, Mr. FH went with a MLV. We had more opens that year than ever before. Vira-Shield is the BEST killed virus vaccine out there. Our vet recommended it.
I really don't think that had anything to do with your problem.

Faster horses said:
Don't be hard on yourself for using Vira-Shield 6. We used Vira-Shield for years with excellent results. Finally, with all the hoopla on modified live, Mr. FH went with a MLV. We had more opens that year than ever before. Vira-Shield is the BEST killed virus vaccine out there. Our vet recommended it.
I really don't think that had anything to do with your problem.
that's the product of choice here

Not starting a conflict FH, but information sure varies from one source to another, doesn't it? :) I used ViraShield for years and liked it. Vet recommended a MLV this past spring with the reason being I'd have better preg protection! I was concerned the MLV would cause inflammation of the ovaries but was told that problem was never conclusively proven. It's nearly impossible to get un-biased information on animal pharmaceuticals.

DejaVu said:
Not starting a conflict FH, but information sure varies from one source to another, doesn't it? :) I used ViraShield for years and liked it. Vet recommended a MLV this past spring with the reason being I'd have better preg protection! I was concerned the MLV would cause inflammation of the ovaries but was told that problem was never conclusively proven. It's nearly impossible to get un-biased information on animal pharmaceuticals.

Ain't that the truth :!:

Latest posts