• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

President For a Day...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

sweetbasil

Reaction score
If you could be the president of the United States for one year, what are three things that you deeply believe we need to do in order to help the country as a whole?

My three things are:
1. We must impose high tariffs and taxes on products that are imported. . The reason is that we need to discouraged our corporations from outsourcing, and if China gives them more incentives to bring their manufacturing to their country, we can make sure that our corporations get penalized for doing so. This is a common practiced in China to discouraged its people from buying foreign goods and continue to grow their economy.

2. We must fix our infrastructure, our roads, bridges, railroad system, and levees. Where I am, there pot-holes on the highways are the size of a pond.

3. We must reconsider the way we are wasting money to send to our countries to keep them as our "allies" (e.i., Israel) and use that money to invest in our education, provide loans to small business, among other things.

2. We must fix our infrastructure, our roads, bridges, railroad system, and levees. Where I am, there pot-holes on the highways are the size of a pond
Sorry that is the job of the states....Thankfully I am in a state which takes very good care of its roads. The state I work in is another matter ........

sorry forgot to add ...this really should be in PB ....there are many who do not want these decussions on the regualr board and I understand all too well their stance and for the most part do agree with them.

sweetbasil said:
If you could be the president of the United States for one year, what are three things that you deeply believe we need to do in order to help the country as a whole?

My three things are:
1. We must impose high tariffs and taxes on products that are imported. . The reason is that we need to discouraged our corporations from outsourcing, and if China gives them more incentives to bring their manufacturing to their country, we can make sure that our corporations get penalized for doing so. This is a common practiced in China to discouraged its people from buying foreign goods and continue to grow their economy.

2. We must fix our infrastructure, our roads, bridges, railroad system, and levees. Where I am, there pot-holes on the highways are the size of a pond.

3. We must reconsider the way we are wasting money to send to our countries to keep them as our "allies" (e.i., Israel) and use that money to invest in our education, provide loans to small business, among other things.

That sounds like a great plan. I would vote for you, sweetbasil. :)

MsSage said:
sorry forgot to add ...this really should be in PB ....there are many who do not want these decussions on the regualr board and I understand all too well their stance and for the most part do agree with them.

Good idea, MsSage. This has the potential to be a really good topic from sweetbasil so let's move it to Political Bull so that nobody will feel inhibited in their discussion.

MsSage said:
2. We must fix our infrastructure, our roads, bridges, railroad system, and levees. Where I am, there pot-holes on the highways are the size of a pond
Sorry that is the job of the states....Thankfully I am in a state which takes very good care of its roads. The state I work in is another matter ........

Dear "MsSage,"
Thank you for your feedback regarding this thread. I believe it has already been moved by the moderator.
Happy Sunday.
SB

sweetbasil said:

My three things are:

The way to discourage outsourcing is to compete for the tax dollars that are paid by the corporations. In Canada, we are actively lowering corporate tax rates and gaining corporations and the jobs, which ultimately raise the tax revenue that is collected by the Government. We have one of the strongest economies in the World Many companies keep only their profits offshore, because they are taxed when they "bring them home" . By lowering the tax, you will see large corporations taking advantage of the tax holiday and investing in the US, through capital investments etc. Manufacturing has steadily been increasing in the US, even with free trade, through efficiency etc.

This was one of the purposes of the stimulus plan, but unfortunately little went into fixing the infrastructure and creating jobs. Most was used for political payoffs. Many people would have been more than happy to take the jobs created and provided by non union shops, but many of the stipulations with the stimulus only permitted union companies to do the work. The additional spending and the Federal Reserve's policy of devaluing the dollar to pay for that spending through inflation will negate any benefits obtained. Unfortunately spending is used as a "vote getter", but at this level of US debt and deficit, it hurts the poor and middle classes more than it helps them. It's redistribution of wealth through policy and regulation that only helps those that are considered the "richer"

Before you can even consider to reduce spending on Israel, the US would first have to quit backing those that want to exterminate Israel. Israel is one of the very few countries that bring stability to the region.

The US invests more per capita on education than most developed Countries, yet the students consistently score lower than other Countries on scholastic testing. The amount of spending is not the problem, but quality of education seems to be.

sweetbasil said:

My three things are:

since your idea would start a massive trade war, retaliatory trade restrictions, and is now illegal due to trade agreements with the WTO, , how about a better way,..

how about not charging corporate taxes on exports.

if we make it more lucrative for people, businesses, and corporations, that export products , then jobs, we will at least solve one side of the trade imbalance,..

I know some would whine about the free ride, and loss of tax revenue, but consider the money saved on unemployment, welfare, and other assistant programs needed for those with out jobs..

by kickstarting our exports, we would get Americans working...

then we would be in a better position to challenge China on it's currency manipulation..

SweetBasil said:

it would have made a great stimulus.. since we had about a trillion in needed infrastructure repairs needed, and the blew about a trillion... one would have hoped to see something fixed..

The first thing would be to hire obama as an adviser, then do the exact opposite that he recommends :lol: :lol:

First thing would be to get the ball rolling on all forms of energy production esp anwar and offshore drilling

Steve said:
I know some would whine about the free ride, and loss of tax revenue, but consider the money saved on unemployment, welfare, and other assistant programs needed for those with out jobs..

Tax revenue on domestic corporate profits will always be less than tax revenue on personal income.

The trick is to come to an optimum ratio.

If the US government was more inclined to find a solution, they would look at other Countries that have succeeded in finding the right mix.

@Larry

energy production is not that hard to figure out. The US is just as, if not more than energy self sufficient than Alberta, yet they do not learn from what is being done in our Province.

Heck, there's a company here that has just signed a 20 year contract to provide wind energy to California. The turbines are probably being made in China and being paid for with Stimulus funds.

Probably saved or created a few US jobs, so it did. I wonder what the political "bribes" to obama are going to be?

hypocritexposer said:
Steve said:

Tax revenue on domestic corporate profits will always be less than tax revenue on personal income.

If the US government was more inclined to find a solution, they would look at other Countries that have succeeded in finding the right mix.

tax rates could be low on corporations, as long as they re-invest in our country we would gain overall in tax revenue..

any product exported is a gain for our country, so why tax them?

imports are a drain.. but we have entangled ourselves in so many trade agreements that any move to restrict them ends up biting US in the rear..

one way to recapture the revenue without tariffs is to find ways to impose costs without it being an actual tariff..

taxfree exports is one.

working to stop currency manipulation is another.

most others restrictions in trade we have already tried and they didn't work..

We have driven many corporations off our soil... and it has hurt our economy.. and will start hurting our standard of living soon enough if we do not change course..

Steve said:
hypocritexposer said:
Steve said:

tax rates could be low on corporations, as long as they re-invest in our country we would gain overall in tax revenue..

any product exported is a gain for our country, so why tax them?

imports are a drain.. but we have entangled ourselves in so many trade agreements that any move to restrict them ends up biting US in the rear..

one way to recapture the revenue without tariffs is to find ways to impose costs without it being an actual tariff..

taxfree exports is one.

working to stop currency manipulation is another.

most others restrictions in trade we have already tried and they didn't work..

We have driven many corporations off our soil... and it has hurt our economy.. and will start hurting our standard of living soon enough if we do not change course..

It's pretty simple. Liberalism has not worked. Collectivism has typically ended worse, throughout history. The destruction of the US will end when the thought of progressivism and its implementation ends.

OT and people like him have to stop thinking less about how the Government/taxpayer can provide for him and more about how he can provide for himself. "Why save, I got a government pension"

Has it occured to anybody that OT only became a liberal after he was retired and closer to his wife's retirement?

They spent the money they made during their youth, and now wish to spend you tax dollars as they retire.

Latest posts