• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Price of Organic Meat

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
That's a good price! Regardless of the beef marketing sector you're in...move the ground beef and the rest will take care of itself. To show how screwed up marketing beef is...ground beef is the more healthy beef product because most of the vitamins, minerals, and many of the nutrients are in the fat. Yet the medical profession and media harp on non-facts when they attack the burger industry.

R2, you do know that grassfed GB is best? :wink:
Have you noticed the uproar over the medical study that showed that low fat diets don't do what has been claimed for thirty years with regard to preventing cancer and heart disease?
 

mwj

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 25, 2005
Messages
562
Reaction score
0
Location
central Illinois
RobertMac said:
That's a good price! Regardless of the beef marketing sector you're in...move the ground beef and the rest will take care of itself. To show how screwed up marketing beef is...ground beef is the more healthy beef product because most of the vitamins, minerals, and many of the nutrients are in the fat. Yet the medical profession and media harp on non-facts when they attack the burger industry.

R2, you do know that grassfed GB is best? :wink:
Have you noticed the uproar over the medical study that showed that low fat diets don't do what has been claimed for thirty years with regard to preventing cancer and heart disease?

If you think $4.49 is a good price on that grass fed ground beef, how much do you need. If you also count homegrown hay as ''grass'' I can send you a load 8) I have some good cutting cows and some short yearlings that would fit the grinder nicely :D It can come se pretty quick since we have a 40mph wind from the nw tonight and temps to quick freeze it!
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
mwj said:
RobertMac said:
That's a good price! Regardless of the beef marketing sector you're in...move the ground beef and the rest will take care of itself. To show how screwed up marketing beef is...ground beef is the more healthy beef product because most of the vitamins, minerals, and many of the nutrients are in the fat. Yet the medical profession and media harp on non-facts when they attack the burger industry.

R2, you do know that grassfed GB is best? :wink:
Have you noticed the uproar over the medical study that showed that low fat diets don't do what has been claimed for thirty years with regard to preventing cancer and heart disease?

If you think $4.49 is a good price on that grass fed ground beef, how much do you need. If you also count homegrown hay as ''grass'' I can send you a load 8) I have some good cutting cows and some short yearlings that would fit the grinder nicely :D It can come se pretty quick since we have a 40mph wind from the nw tonight and temps to quick freeze it!

mwj, as soon as everything gets frozen, you can skate that hay on down. Plenty of folks in the path of Katrina that need hay...BADLY!!!! And I wish you would keep all that cold up North so my grass would grow! :wink:
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
R2 said:
I noticed years ago that when I lowered my intake of meat and fat and upped my carbohydrates, I gained weight like crazy.

Starch (grain and grain products) is a high energy carb. (What does the beef industry use to make cattle fat?) Excess energy from starch is converted to fat.

R2 said:
Also, when I ate low fat diets, I was so hungry that I craved carbs late in the day.

Starch carbs play havoc with the insulin system...after eating them your insulin system tells your body, you are full. A short time later, your insulin system tell your body, you are hungry...AGAIN! This fluctuation is not good for the system...diabetes. The anti-meats say that animal fats stay in the digestive track too long and is bad. The fact is, that's a good thing...fats are slow to break down which causes your insulin system to tell your body you are full! :D

R2 said:
Since then, I eat 3 meals a day and have buttered toast (not exaggerated amounts) for breakfast, 1% o 2% milk products versus non-fat, and red meat a few times a week.

Buttered toast...eat REAL BUTTER and don't feel guilty about eating plenty of it.
Milk...drink REAL(whole) MILK...if you have to have 2%...add water! Percent milks are processed products and no better for you than other processed foods. The most healthy is to drink milk the way it comes out of the cow or as close to that as possible.
Red meat...you need to eat at least 7 times a week...you're the reason we producers are having a hard time! :wink: :D

Eat as close to Nature as possible...meat, fruit, vegetable, nuts and whole grain products.

R2 said:
Even though I do believe the risk of BSE is low and I'm not really worried about it, the juxtaposition of watching my husband die with the Washington Cow and then reading what FDA allows cattle to be fed (as well as GAO and IG reports on feed violations) put me off "regular" beef.

I find this same sentiment in the general public and is the reason beef's market share isn't(and won't) increase until the industry becomes proactive and not reactive to these negative events.
 

Tommy

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
755
Reaction score
0
Location
South East Kansas
RobertMac...The most healthy is to drink milk the way it comes out of the cow or as close to that as possible.

How can you do this Robert without having your own milkcow? The milk you buy at a store has all been processed.
 

Mike

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
28,480
Reaction score
0
Location
Montgomery, Al
Tommy said:
RobertMac...The most healthy is to drink milk the way it comes out of the cow or as close to that as possible.

How can you do this Robert without having your own milkcow? The milk you buy at a store has all been processed.

un-Pasteurized milk is not recommended for anyone. Homogenization is not entirely necessary.
 

RobertMac

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
3,705
Reaction score
0
Location
Mississippi, USA
Tommy said:
RobertMac...The most healthy is to drink milk the way it comes out of the cow or as close to that as possible.

How can you do this Robert without having your own milkcow? The milk you buy at a store has all been processed.

Tommy, you are mostly right, but there is a loophole...you can buy unprocessed milk as "pet food". My wife desperately wants a milk cow...I told her as soon as she retires and DOES THE MILKING she can have one. :D Goat milk is actually easier to find. We do buy raw milk cheese and I love it.

When Dr. Weston Price studied the health aspects of different cultures around the world, two foods he found in common with all the healthy cultures...butter and raw milk. Many people with milk allergies can drink raw milk. With modern milking techniques, many of the reasons for pasteurization aren't necessary.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
RobertMac said:
Tommy said:
RobertMac...The most healthy is to drink milk the way it comes out of the cow or as close to that as possible.

How can you do this Robert without having your own milkcow? The milk you buy at a store has all been processed.

Tommy, you are mostly right, but there is a loophole...you can buy unprocessed milk as "pet food". My wife desperately wants a milk cow...I told her as soon as she retires and DOES THE MILKING she can have one. :D Goat milk is actually easier to find. We do buy raw milk cheese and I love it.

When Dr. Weston Price studied the health aspects of different cultures around the world, two foods he found in common with all the healthy cultures...butter and raw milk. Many people with milk allergies can drink raw milk. With modern milking techniques, many of the reasons for pasteurization aren't necessary.

Best milk I ever drank was as a kid when we'd milk a couple old cows in the old straw roof barn- bring the milk in and strain thru a dish towel to get out the big chunks and straw that fell off the cow- then seperate it....I'd stand at the seperator with my tin cup and drink the warm skim milk as it came out...When you got a creamcan full- whatever cream wasn't used for butter- the mailman would pick it up and deliver to the local Creamery......About the only spending money those ladies years ago could earn was the cream and egg money....

One old doctor told me that he believed growing up with that real milk ( cow dung, straw and all) helped build up a natural resistance to many diseases-- which we don't have now.....
 

Clarence

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
223
Reaction score
0
Location
South Central Sd
You told it like it was OT. We tied a dish towel over the separator tank and all the milk went through it. We would wash this strainer cloth each day, hang it on the line and use it again that night. I suppose this had been done for years before my time.

Then we decided there was something better. We got a milk strainer, with a six or eight inch cotton disk. All the milk went through this small filter disk. filtering out the dried manure, straw, and hay. Was it really any better?

It sure is a wonder how any of us even lived!
 

Latest posts

Top