• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Prince Albert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A while back I checked out a few places east of PA towards Smeaton seemed like the dirt between that highway and south towards the river was pretty good, North of the highway was very light soil. Seemed like most hay and grain was on the south side with pasture to the north. I ended up on the west side of Manitoba.

Seen a place listed for sale close to paddockwood. Said it run 1650 head year round on 10k acres. Curious if that sounds right or not. How long outa year does a place feed in that area?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Hereford76 said:
Seen a place listed for sale close to paddockwood. Said it run 1650 head year round on 10k acres. Curious if that sounds right or not. How long outa year does a place feed in that area?

11 3/4 months :D

Don't you have something to do outside, like some snow to shovel off the porch or something... :wink:

burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Hereford76 said:

11 3/4 months :D

Don't you have something to do outside, like some snow to shovel off the porch or something... :wink:

I'm waiting for Spring :D :D

You're already sounding cranky, just wait until your laid up in bed while we are out getting a tan. :wink: :D

Besides I just got back from putting some tubs out for the cows I moved Monday, wouldn't want to do it all at once. :cowboy:

Oh we'll see about that! Nothing to stop me from slapping on the sun screen about that time ya'know! Except maybe a shortage of sun...

When did you start feeding hay in your part of the province this winter? Seems to me it was later than usual?

burnt said:
Oh we'll see about that! Nothing to stop me from slapping on the sun screen about that time ya'know! Except maybe a shortage of sun...

When did you start feeding hay in your part of the province this winter? Seems to me it was later than usual?

Half the cows got turned into some bales on Monday but haven't really dug into them much.
The other half are still in the badlands sunning themselves, Looks like they might not be home until branding time. :cowboy:

Count on feeding for 200 days, that's 7 1300# bales/cow. If you have some stockpiled grass for late fall and early spring it will take less bales.

Lately the business is paying pretty well although we have had several lean years. The trick is to find areas of affordable land that will grow hay and pasture and not get machinery poor, usually that means an hour drive for parts or groceries and a special sort of wife.

Hereford76 said:

We are about 1.5 hours south of Paddockwood. Our land may be very different than that at Paddockwood. It all depends on the quality of the land and how much bush there is on the land. Around our place the quality of ground can change dramaticly in a span of only 5 miles. Around Paddockwood there is probably some land that is cleared and open, and able to produce good grass. But there is a lot of land up there that is solid bush. The numbers that you quoted seems a little hard to believe. I have no problem believing that it is possible to graze that many cows on that many acres for the spring/summer/fall, but I can't see there being enough acres to grow the amount of feed required for winter feeding.

In our area, if you graze crop stubble and/or hayland in the fall and have carryover grass for spring grazing you can bank on feeding ( on average ) from November 15 to April 1. Thats the time when the snow is too deep to graze. Most guys are trying different ways to decrease the number of days that they start a tractor. Swath grazing and bale grazing is common. We are just finished our 2nd year of grazing standing corn. We did not start feeding the cows bales until about 2 weeks ago.

I realize it's a whole different game there from here but I sure would hate to tie up $200-$400/cow in hay per year.

I think there is some merit to grazing standing corn, would like to learn more on that.

4Diamond said:
I realize it's a whole different game there from here but I sure would hate to tie up $200-$400/cow in hay per year.

I think there is some merit to grazing standing corn, would like to learn more on that.
I

If you fed meadow hay 1/2 the season and mixed upland hay the rest say $90 for meadow hay and $160 for upland plus $35 for freight you'd have $285 per cow in hay pasture would be another $180 here = $465 - add another $300 a cow and you'd have $765 per calf that would be pretty close on my operation I bet I actually get it done for around $600 but I'm pretty frugal on the cow herd.I don't figure land payments against the cows just the rent value the rest of the payment is figured as a retirement account. All hay equipment and exspence is figured against the hay value is your haying operation profitable. I bet I make as much profit from hay sales as I do cows. You can normally buy hay from Northern Mn or Canada here for about the same price delivered as local hay so I'd bet hay is quite reasonable in Canada barring a drought or other worldly conditions. We did'nt start feeding Until Jan 8th this year most years for me is Dec 1st neighborhood was feeding Nov 1st or close. I shaved off $80 a cow in exspence so that gets me closer to $520 a cow. Anything more than a $10,000 feeding tractor is to me luxary not neccessary so that would'nt be figured either. I can drive a $1000 pickup I choose not to.Most exspences affixed to most cowherds are luxary exspences that should be placed elsewhere.

I agree but some ppl dance that line of making parts payments or making vehicle payments. My tractor cost more than $10,000 but it does more than winter feed. My feed truck that does all the work didn't cost $10,000. I don't run new but do try to run good enough that I am not fixing it all the time. Some luxuries are fun though and that's why we make some money, to spend it on things we enjoy and that make life easier.

Latest posts