• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Proposed Horse Slaughter Plant

Help Support Ranchers.net:

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
I don't know if this has made national news but there is a proposed horse slaughter plant that could be going in 30 miles from me. I am all for it as there are 100's of abused and neglected horses in just our area that would be better off dead. it would also add 40-50 jobs to the local community but the idea of such a plant is driving people out in large numbers against it. I laugh at some of the arguments. I am just curious what you all think about such a plant?
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
29,493
Reaction score
674
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
I read about that in the Miles City Star.
I am a horse lover, but not a stupid horse lover... :p
While the thought of a horse slaughter plant isn't the most
pleasant thing, it is NECESSARY. And much kinder to the horses
than being hauled to Canada or Mexico. And in Mexico the
killing process is deplorable.

Do-gooders in this country think with their heart instead of their
head and they really have no idea what really goes on. I hope
they don't kill the construction of the plant.
 

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
Huge meeting today at the local livestock auction that is closed to the media. There is an attorney in the town that is dead set against it and is going as far as saying the Mexican population will get out of control in town etc. It just blows my mind the way some people think. To say they think with their hearts is an understatement.
 

caljane

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 3, 2011
Messages
74
Reaction score
0
Location
Wyoming
4Diamond said:
To say they think with their hearts is an understatement.

Not sure where a heart can be involved if numbers show that the same number of horses went to slaughter in 2010 than in 2006 when we still had slaughter facilities in the US. So - what it boils down to is that in 2006 105,000 horses were slaughtered in the US, 33,000 made a trip to Canada or Mexico. Now all of them are going out of the country on a journey in trucks that can NOT be controlled by the USDA, to facilities that are not controlled by USDA. I wished somebody could ask the horses in the trucks what they prefer ...
 

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
Why don't we ask the 100's of horses around the country in dry lots if they would like some hay or grain. I realize the thought of death ways heavy on the way people think, but wouldn't suffering malnourished be worse? I think if there was a local slaughter ultimately it would be easier on these animals.

The proposed plant is not going to the intended location. The building they wanted is no longer available. They said they would like to keep it in this area because of the proximity to roads and 100's of horses.
 

andybob

Well-known member
Joined
May 24, 2006
Messages
1,199
Reaction score
16
Location
Fordingbridge England.
The British have always been great horse lovers and were the first to start animal anti cruelty organisations, so I found it interetsing that there is a mobile slaughtering plant that is used to cull surplus wild ponies as well as unwanted horses. Last year over 1000 TB yearlings were slaughtered in Ireland when the export market collapsed due to the economic climate, common sense prevails when people understand the problem.
 

kevinshorses

New member
Joined
Mar 2, 2012
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Utah
I hope something can be done about the excess numbers of horses in this country. I would love to see the price of horses raise enough that a guy could make a living in the horse business again.
 

VB RANCH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
775
Reaction score
8
Location
leader minnesota
andybob said:
The British have always been great horse lovers and were the first to start animal anti cruelty organisations, so I found it interetsing that there is a mobile slaughtering plant that is used to cull surplus wild ponies as well as unwanted horses. Last year over 1000 TB yearlings were slaughtered in Ireland when the export market collapsed due to the economic climate, common sense prevails when people understand the problem.



common sense has yet to show her beautiful face in this country
 

Hay Feeder

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 29, 2008
Messages
555
Reaction score
0
4Diamond said:
I don't know if this has made national news but there is a proposed horse slaughter plant that could be going in 30 miles from me. I am all for it as there are 100's of abused and neglected horses in just our area that would be better off dead. it would also add 40-50 jobs to the local community but the idea of such a plant is driving people out in large numbers against it. I laugh at some of the arguments. I am just curious what you all think about such a plant?

The mistake they made was setting it up at the entrance off the four lane to the town. Right now it seems its going in somewhere in SW Missouri.
They just picked the wrong location in MT Grove Missouri. I expect it will be at private land within a few miles off the four lane highway. Rather than the towns industral complex.
FYI Dr. Temple Grandin was doing speaking events about her topics such as slaughter practices with in 70 miles of the meeting of this slaughter plant and she was not invited or refused to speak. The site the slaughter group propsed was next to a brand new farm equipment dealership as well as a multi brand new car and truck dealership.
Last I heard its going in heck or high water.
The family that is behind it locally are cattle traders and own several sale barns in the area. The leaders of these communities on Hwy 60 have been wanting a slaughter plant of some kind for sometime now. They tried a cow plant a few years ago. Wondering if the byprodcts or offal would be used somewhere locally in another aspect of the business.
 

Big Muddy rancher

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
22,310
Reaction score
584
Location
Big Muddy valley
The one plant I have been to up here, you would never know what it is by driving by. NO livestock is penned out side. The animals come off truck right into the plant and the door is closed.
Horse were hauled from Nebraska at least up to this plant. The horses were making 600 miles after they crossed the border. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency was much stricter then the USDA when it came to horses that crossed the border and what trucks they were loaded into. Horses could not cross the border in cattle pots altho some were being hauled in pots in the US. Horses passed USDA vet inspection before being loaded and were rejected at the border for health reasons.
 

LazyWP

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
1,700
Reaction score
0
They have made it illegal to haul horses in pots here too. Even your own horses.
 

4Diamond

Well-known member
Joined
May 16, 2008
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
Hay Feeder said:
4Diamond said:
I don't know if this has made national news but there is a proposed horse slaughter plant that could be going in 30 miles from me. I am all for it as there are 100's of abused and neglected horses in just our area that would be better off dead. it would also add 40-50 jobs to the local community but the idea of such a plant is driving people out in large numbers against it. I laugh at some of the arguments. I am just curious what you all think about such a plant?

The mistake they made was setting it up at the entrance off the four lane to the town. Right now it seems its going in somewhere in SW Missouri.
They just picked the wrong location in MT Grove Missouri. I expect it will be at private land within a few miles off the four lane highway. Rather than the towns industral complex.
FYI Dr. Temple Grandin was doing speaking events about her topics such as slaughter practices with in 70 miles of the meeting of this slaughter plant and she was not invited or refused to speak. The site the slaughter group propsed was next to a brand new farm equipment dealership as well as a multi brand new car and truck dealership.
Last I heard its going in heck or high water.
The family that is behind it locally are cattle traders and own several sale barns in the area. The leaders of these communities on Hwy 60 have been wanting a slaughter plant of some kind for sometime now. They tried a cow plant a few years ago. Wondering if the byprodcts or offal would be used somewhere locally in another aspect of the business.

I have told by several people there was no one locally involved in the plant but I have a very hard time believing that.
 

LazyWP

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
1,700
Reaction score
0
Big Muddy rancher said:
LazyWP said:
They have made it illegal to haul horses in pots here too. Even your own horses.

When did that happen?

According to the Federal DOT, it was supposed to have happened about 3 years ago. I know Nebraska sure frowns on it, and I have a buddy that says California really raises cane with ya. Other then that I can't tell you much about it. I haven't been in a truck in almost a year, and never hauled any horses, in a pot.
 

Latest posts

Top