• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Psst- over here

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sandhusker said:
Brad S said:
Judges are supposed to preside over cases, not call them. It is an abomination of our Constitution and of Democracy. We will not be successful in spreading democracy in the world if we can not practice it at home. The world sees these failures in our system and that is why we are not respected.

First, for a judge to ovetturn a jury verdict, the jury had to be very wrong. The judge's intervention would then be especially scrutinized on appeal. The judge had better be well justified in tossing a jury verdict or the appelate court will restore the jury verdict. EVERYONE respects a jury verdict perhaps well beyond their validity. the fact Strom tossed the jury verdict and was upheld on appeal tells you the jury verdict was very flawed. When the plaintiffs went jury shopping, they sought exactly the sort of jury they got. they should have also judge shopped and got one of those old guys tthat naps on the bench.

This is a rule of law issue, not a democricy issue.

Its a big world we are respected by some and not respected by some. I guess you can find what you seek.

Tyson had just as much say in the jury selection as did Pickett.

I find in interesting that Tyson does not want the trial transcripts to be made available to the public, but Pickett does.

How do you know Tyson does not want the transcripts to be made public? What evidence do have to support your statement?

agman said:
Sandhusker said:
Brad S said:
First, for a judge to ovetturn a jury verdict, the jury had to be very wrong. The judge's intervention would then be especially scrutinized on appeal. The judge had better be well justified in tossing a jury verdict or the appelate court will restore the jury verdict. EVERYONE respects a jury verdict perhaps well beyond their validity. the fact Strom tossed the jury verdict and was upheld on appeal tells you the jury verdict was very flawed. When the plaintiffs went jury shopping, they sought exactly the sort of jury they got. they should have also judge shopped and got one of those old guys tthat naps on the bench.

This is a rule of law issue, not a democricy issue.

Its a big world we are respected by some and not respected by some. I guess you can find what you seek.

Tyson had just as much say in the jury selection as did Pickett.

I find in interesting that Tyson does not want the trial transcripts to be made available to the public, but Pickett does.

How do you know Tyson does not want the transcripts to be made public? What evidence do have to support your statement?

An individual who was directly involved in the trial told me. Are you going to try to tell us otherwise?

Please, by all means have them sign a release, Agman.

You might even want to post it here on Ranchers.net.

Am I saying the 11th circuit was bought off? You bet. Either that or they were incompetent. There might be some validity of incompetence based on their Robinson Patman Act example.

Call me Polly Anna because I know of no reason to draw this conclusion. I hope you're wrong. In any case you need to bring the goods to make a charge like this.

Sandhusker, I'm troubled by the control that I would exert over the market if I were Tyson, but I don't think the plaintiffs proved their case. In any case, I don't know of any reason to mistrust strom. Blaming the refs after the game is so "KState."

Brad S said:
Am I saying the 11th circuit was bought off? You bet. Either that or they were incompetent. There might be some validity of incompetence based on their Robinson Patman Act example.

Call me Polly Anna because I know of no reason to draw this conclusion. I hope you're wrong. In any case you need to bring the goods to make a charge like this.

Sandhusker, I'm troubled by the control that I would exert over the market if I were Tyson, but I don't think the plaintiffs proved their case. In any case, I don't know of any reason to mistrust strom. Blaming the refs after the game is so "KState."

Be a good political follower, Brad, and don't question what you are told.

Whats the matter with Kansas?

Brad S said:

It's hard for me to say if the plaintiff actually proved their case or not because the transcripts have not been released - and Tyson doesn't want them released. However, 12 jurors said the case was proved and using captive cattle and open-ended contracts isn't a hard game to figure out. I tend to believe the case was proved.

What really gets my goat is Strom's reasons for overturning the verdict. In my opinion, he completely blew the interpretation of 202 of the PSA. I question whether he was even looking at the right paper. His "legitimate business purpose" statement is rediculous. Back to a football analogy, he said that it was OK for the Mildcats to use 15 players because they had a legitimate reason - they were trying to score a touchdown. :roll:

Do you agree with Strom's ruling?

Sandhusker said:
Brad S said:

It's hard for me to say if the plaintiff actually proved their case or not because the transcripts have not been released - and Tyson doesn't want them released. However, 12 jurors said the case was proved and using captive cattle and open-ended contracts isn't a hard game to figure out. I tend to believe the case was proved.

What really gets my goat is Strom's reasons for overturning the verdict. In my opinion, he completely blew the interpretation of 202 of the PSA. I question whether he was even looking at the right paper. His "legitimate business purpose" statement is rediculous. Back to a football analogy, he said that it was OK for the Mildcats to use 15 players because they had a legitimate reason - they were trying to score a touchdown. :roll:

Whoa there Brad and Sandhusker. No need to use up your bullets on KSU.....remember, us land grant universities gotta stick together. Besides, you have to travel to Manhattan this year, and we'll happily serve your dose of crow.

But since you brought it up.....I'll give you a good KSU analogy. Since y'all (Mike) have to drag out 30 yr old data out to make your points, I'll follow suit. In the 70's and 80's, KSU football games were.......to put it mildly.....painful to attend. The absolute worse visiting team / fans was always Switzer, and his mob of criminals and malcontents from OU. Scores with 50-60 points spreads were common.

Kinda like the drubbing Pickett justifiably recieved. The level of whining and complaining on the verdict is like a 1970's KSU football team saying they lost to OU because of a poor penalty call in the 1st quarter.

Beefman said:
Sandhusker said:
Brad S said:

Whoa there Brad and Sandhusker. No need to use up your bullets on KSU.....remember, us land grant universities gotta stick together. Besides, you have to travel to Manhattan this year, and we'll happily serve your dose of crow.

But since you brought it up.....I'll give you a good KSU analogy. Since y'all (Mike) have to drag out 30 yr old data out to make your points, I'll follow suit. In the 70's and 80's, KSU football games were.......to put it mildly.....painful to attend. The absolute worse visiting team / fans was always Switzer, and his mob of criminals and malcontents from OU. Scores with 50-60 points spreads were common.

Kinda like the drubbing Pickett justifiably recieved. The level of whining and complaining on the verdict is like a 1970's KSU football team saying they lost to OU because of a poor penalty call in the 1st quarter.

PS. The order is being restored in Lincoln. We owned you for 30 years, and we're going to own you for another thirty!

GO BIG RED :p

Sandhusker said:
Brad S said:

If you have not read any of the trail transcripts then on what basis are you stating he only voiced one reason to overturn the verdict? Case law was on Strom's side regarding the PSA. Excuse me but your interpretation of the PSA is wrong.

You don't need a transcript to get Strom's ruling, Agman. Also, case law was muddled ahead of him, but the majority was contrary to his ruling. He got PSA wrong. You should consider what brought about PSA and what the authors of it were addressing at the time of it's enactment. If you do, you'll be wondering if Strom was reading the same law.

Econ "Whats the matter with Kansas?"

Its hot in the summer and cold in the winter, seriously, to what were you referring, Kansas as in U of Kansas?

Beefman, sorry, I don't mean to pick on KSTATE, but those base little celebrations displayed in Lincoln's Memorial Stadium are going to come back to haunt the Prince. The Huskers will remember them long after no one remembers Prince. No I'm not a Cornhusker, I'm a Jayhawk. I know literally hundreds of Staters and they all tell me how KSU is gonna beat the hell outta Kansas, and when they don't, some nitpicky call gave Kansas the game. I'm down to just trying to make them pay for big mouths, so they want to wager $50 whole dollars. As if $50 compensates one sufficiently for listening to their crap. Feel ffree to make the obligatory gay/ chicken jeer - they're so clever one never tires of them.

Brad S said:
Econ "Whats the matter with Kansas?"

Its hot in the summer and cold in the winter, seriously, to what were you referring, Kansas as in U of Kansas?

Beefman, sorry, I don't mean to pick on KSTATE, but those base little celebrations displayed in Lincoln's Memorial Stadium are going to come back to haunt the Prince. The Huskers will remember them long after no one remembers Prince. No I'm not a Cornhusker, I'm a Jayhawk. I know literally hundreds of Staters and they all tell me how KSU is gonna beat the hell outta Kansas, and when they don't, some nitpicky call gave Kansas the game. I'm down to just trying to make them pay for big mouths, so they want to wager $50 whole dollars. As if $50 compensates one sufficiently for listening to their crap. Feel ffree to make the obligatory gay/ chicken jeer - they're so clever one never tires of them.

So you cheer for the chicken hawks. You have my sympathy. You no doubt, like Sandhusker, have family members that've got the brain power to be accepted at KSU. Such moves tend to help the IQ of future generations tremendously.

I'm sure you and I could bore everyone else and jost back and forth about KSU / KU stories based on the past 30 years of football / basketball games. It'll be an interesting fall this year. We've got a new coach, and y'all are trying to keep big Mark from vapor locking on the sidelines. He had a good defense last year......we'll see what happens when KSU travels to Lawrence to play this fall.

Every Man a Wildcat!

Brad and Beefman - neither one of you answered if you agreed with Strom's reasoning.

The Huskers are hoping the Mildcats put in Josh Freeman as QB. He was committed to us for 6 months, then realized he wasn't man enough to wear the scarlet and cream, and then signed with K-St. He let the coaching staff know with a text message. We're waiting for him.....

Sandhusker said:
Brad and Beefman - neither one of you answered if you agreed with Strom's reasoning.

The Huskers are hoping the Mildcats put in Josh Freeman as QB. He was committed to us for 6 months, then realized he wasn't man enough to wear the scarlet and cream, and then signed with K-St. He let the coaching staff know with a text message. We're waiting for him.....

Yes, I agreed with Strom's ruling.

QB at KSU will be an interesting race this fall. So far, too close to call. I'm sure Freeman knows the 'Skur nation is waiting for him. At this point, I don't look for him to start. He won't redshirt, though. Allen Everidge, another good Neb kid will compete for the spot, as will Sr Dylan Meier . However, my betting $ says Sr Allen Webb will get the nod in the fall.

Beefman, "Yes, I agreed with Strom's ruling."

I guess you and I certainly split ways here. I think the notion that having a valid business reason for actions excuses those actions from damages caused is insane. If that is the case, you should be allowed to use all the DDT that you want.

Because the Huskers have a valid reason for taking off Freeman's head will still not excuse them when they intentionally jump offsides, rip his head off and spit down his neck. :wink: They will still be penalized 5 yards, which will then make it 3rd and 24.

Sandhusker said:
Beefman, "Yes, I agreed with Strom's ruling."

I guess you and I certainly split ways here. I think the notion that having a valid business reason for actions excuses those actions from damages caused is insane. If that is the case, you should be allowed to use all the DDT that you want.

Because the Huskers have a valid reason for taking off Freeman's head will still not excuse them when they intentionally jump offsides, rip his head off and spit down his neck. :wink: They will still be penalized 5 yards, which will then make it 3rd and 24.

Gee, I wonder if that DDT got sprayed on whatever you're smoking today. You certainly won't learn / hear anything new from me on the case that hasn't already been said. Say what you want, but the system we have in place worked.

Hear that little sound (mouse sized tap,tap,tap). That's the sound of a Husker fan tapping on the side of Josh Freeman's head that'd previously claimed he was going to beat his brains in. Remember back to the days you were 18 and under heavy influence at the hands of your Herbie Husker beer bong (you can thank me for using past tense here). You probably never changed you mind over things either. Josh will be fine. Bring your game to Manhattan.

So you cheer for the chicken hawks. You have my sympathy. You no doubt, like Sandhusker, have family members that've got the brain power to be accepted at KSU. Such moves tend to help the IQ of future generations tremendously.

A stater bringing IQ smack - I love it. About as valid as "the decade of dominance." When I meet the first stater that has the capacity to understand Jayhawk is an historical referance that has nothing to do with a bird, I might quit laughing at the IQ smack (sure wish we could have chosen that ever original feline variant for a mascott). Now the "decade of dominance" is eternal humor.

Brad S said:

A stater bringing IQ smack - I love it. About as valid as "the decade of dominance." When I meet the first stater that has the capacity to understand Jayhawk is an historical referance that has nothing to do with a bird, I might quit laughing at the IQ smack (sure wish we could have chosen that ever original feline variant for a mascott). Now the "decade of dominance" is eternal humor.

Yep, we've got the farmers and school teachers, and you've got the doctors, lawyers, and football players getting stuck trying to crawl in the drive thru window at Taco Hut. Guess you win the IQ war.

Yes, I know my KS history enough to understand where a Jayhawk comes from. The last time we took the kids to a football game at Lawrence, they tried, vainly so, to recreate the tunnel walk Neb does (done well in Neb). KU's tunnel walk lasted all of 10 seconds. It was a real yawner. Then the big screen had the flying Jayhawks, that were supposed to look like F-16's dive bombing in the stadium to blow up a KSU helmut. All the KSU fans (which outnumbered the KU fans) laughed because.....well......Jayhawks and fighter jets just don't compliment each other well.

KSU / KU people have josted forever, however KU / MO people generally hate the hell out of each other.

Beefman, "So you cheer for the chicken hawks. You have my sympathy. You no doubt, like Sandhusker, have family members that've got the brain power to be accepted at KSU. Such moves tend to help the IQ of future generations tremendously"

My sister went to K-ST. because she wasn't smart enough to go to NU and my folks wanted her farther away than the local state college.

She brought Mildcat t-shirts for my kids once. Since it was close to halloween, I allowed them to be worn for one day. Since then, they've survived 3 garage sales. They were worn once and we can't sell them for a quarter.

Yep, we've got the farmers and school teachers, and you've got the doctors, lawyers, and football players getting stuck trying to crawl in the drive thru window at Taco Hut. Guess you win the IQ war.

Yes, I know my KS history enough to understand where a Jayhawk comes from. The last time we took the kids to a football game at Lawrence, they tried, vainly so, to recreate the tunnel walk Neb does (done well in Neb). KU's tunnel walk lasted all of 10 seconds. It was a real yawner. Then the big screen had the flying Jayhawks, that were supposed to look like F-16's dive bombing in the stadium to blow up a KSU helmut. All the KSU fans (which outnumbered the KU fans) laughed because.....well......Jayhawks and fighter jets just don't compliment each other well.

KSU / KU people have josted forever, however KU / MO people generally hate the hell out of each other.

As far as stupid fb players go, to Ell with that, never did understand playing in the bowl but not getting to finish college.

Attendance smack? You just don't learn. think I can't recall some empty KSU stadiums? Think KSU will put more butts in the seats than Kansas in 06? I think attendance was about even in 05, but I can't remember.

The KU/MU stuff is real. Not too long ago there were still residents that remembered the slave traders killing burning and plundering in Kansas. It only takes a few town plunderings to get the pacifists in Lawrence "very concerned."

Come on Sandhusker, a garage sale in Cody isn't an especially reliable barometer of salability? Or Eli either. Whatever the hell were you thinking letting your kids dress like losers for halloween - what if you left an imprint that triggers failure their whole life? Really, they wore girly purple on halloween and didn't get abused? What's next, towels on their heads? Are these stepkids? Ah, sorta like naming them sue, adversity hardens the kid?

Latest posts