• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

PureCountry

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hi and thank you for responding.

He is a little short in length but and there is a big but, his calves have length......... that's why I've been so pleased with him because his calves are better than himself and imo that's what you want any stud (whatever animal it may be) to do.

Also, side question, do you have any carcass data from this bloodline?

MoGal this bloodline was very early in my feedlot carcass data. Late 90's to be exact. His lineage is full of show winning genetics.

What I found in my early feedlot placements was that the Galloways I had (all very deep in show winning sires) grew very well, had really good rib eye area, and Graded Yield 1 and 2. However their marbling was not what Galloways should be. This is actually what got me on the quest for carcass proven Galloway genetics.

I have preached for years (presentations at shows and the like) that show genetics that are judged just on the appearance of the animal have done an injustice to all breeds (Galloways included). Selection for bigger and better without carcass data to go along with has led to a drastic decrease in the number of all feedlot cattle grading Choice or Prime. Even though the USDA lowered the standards for both a number of years ago, there are fewer animals having good marbling now than in the 60's.

My Dam lines remained fairly constant and just getting the right bulls kept the good parts of my carcass data and increased my percentage of Choice and Choice + carcasses greatly. All of the Certified Meat Sire progeny from the 60's graded CHOICE to CHOICE + Yield Grade 1 or 2.

It is a constant challenge to breed for efficient cattle that live in my envirorment and end with a terrific end product. It is the quality of end product, the food that I produce that is the most important quality of all.

I can state that the scan data and the DNA data on these bloodlines show very good tenderness and efficiency.

Hope this helps

Oldtimer said:
Well Darla definitely emotes "character" :wink: :lol: :p Well worth $50...Is the calf a heifer? I wonder what the calf would look like if allowed to mature :???:

000_0008.jpg

This cow is 1/2 highlander 1/4 hereford 1/4 charlaois

Latest posts