• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

question about old cow

Help Support Ranchers.net:

andrews29

Reaction score
I have an old broken mouth cow that is due anyday. This winter has been hard on her even with it being mild. I know she needs to be culled just dont know how is the best way. The way i see it i have 3 options. Option 1 sale as soon as calf is born as a pair, option 2 wean calf early and sale cow and either sale calf at that point or keep it. option 3 hope that she dont keep taking a beating this summer and try to let her raise her calf till oct then sale calf with rest of the calves and sell her as a cull. what would you do ?

#2 (That sounds dirty) :D :roll:
Or wait and graft the calf when or IF you lose one..
We sort before we go to pasture any we want to sell and feed till we can wean the calf and then sell cow and feed the calf till we wean the rest then put them all together...

Faster horses said:
Just keep her up close if you can, feed her extra and just watch
her. If she can raise that calf most of the summer, you've won!
When she has feed and water without a lot of traveling, she just
might make fall for you.

Agree. Neighbor runs maybe 600 head, they're outa there in the summer---he generally has a package of aged, infirm, and problem children pairs close to home. They get babied for a while, calves get gentle, used to eating pellets, hay, whatever-----about middle of summer the cows are shined up, calves doing good, the cows go to town and beat fall rush and come fall, this set of calves weighs right up with the rest. And cow check comes at a lovely time-----plus, seems most times you can put couple hundred #'s on cow, not only do you got more #'s to sell, you paid for upgrading.

I have a 19 year old that is starting to look old in the face and is going to calve about 60 days late - - - I am going to let her raise me one last and she will travel when the calf can carry on well without her.

This is her about 2 years ago

K4.jpg

Her body condition is about the same but she is looking much older in the face - - - I have not checked her teeth but she has never been late before and she has raised 2 sets of twins. I feel she has done all I can expect of her and it is time for her to go to the golden arches.

Latest posts