• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question for the Ranchers

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Stance on High Fence Hunting

• Against High Fence Hunting

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't Like High Fence Hunting but can tolerate it

• For High Fence Hunting

• Total voters

ts

Reaction score
I would like the views of some of the people from this site if you don't mind. Currently we have a group in ND trying to get an initiative on the ballot that would end High Fence Hunting. I believe they will get the signatures needed, and the people of ND will be asked to vote on it. The majority of the sponsors are from the City and a website I frequent is also dominated by Town people. I have talked to some rural people and I think I have a pretty good feel on their postitions. If you don't mind would you please give me your opinion on this!

to me it is like fishin in a rain barrel.

where is the sport?

Part of hunting is "Fair Chase" If you have animals fenced in you more than likely are feeding them and careing for them.Which to me makes them Domestic animals.So I would say know I would'nt agree with it.Otherwise I may have to sneak up to our hog pen next time we butcher.

The whole hunting craze has gotten to be ridiculous it's sickening.

You want to be a hunter go out in a big public forest with no game calls,scents,scent blockers etc etc etc.Hunt the animal and if you succeed your a hunter.If you need to kill something in a fenced in area your just a "Shooter" big differance.

These hunting show's on TV are a joke I wonder if they have to remove all the ear tags out of the animals before they film them.

I can understand "both sides of the fence", if you will, with High Fence hunting.

Down here, unless you have many, many acres, it is all but impossible to manage deer for big bucks, because of the wandering capabilities of white tails.

As we had an outbreak of Blue Tongue and BVD in the Alabama herd a few years ago, some argue the fences are necessary for disease control.

The High Fence hunting here is mostly limited to personal hunting by the big and rich landowners wanting to boost their ego's.

I don't see a lot of difference in shooting deer within a high fence and shooting hungry deer over a feed bunk.

A few years back a swamp owner here fenced in the wild alligators.

The state ruled that the gators were owned by the public and forced the guy to take it down.

The whole hunting craze has gotten to be ridiculous it's sickening.

I agree 100%. I grew up a hunter but I will live to see the day hunting ends because the number of people doing it will be too small to have a voice. The fact of the matter is if I didn't own my own land I wouldn't be able to afford to hunt either. It is getting close to not being able to afford to even hunt on my own land but Dad taught me to hunt and then gave me the opportunity to own the land so I will hunt it.
As far as the high fence I know a guy who has elk in a high fence. It covers 2400 acres of river brakes. I don't have a problem with that because of the size of the area and the fact that it is rough and timbered but I do have a problem with 80-160 acre tracts that are high fenced. I just don't know where the line is.

The only high fencing I believe in is around crops,damn deer are so thick they can ruin a crop in a few nights................good luck

About the only time I can maybe see it is for the aged or infirm-some of the outfits up here put on hunts for kids that are pretty disabled. For an able bodied person in the prime of their life they are kind of a joke. Mind you I could high fence the bush we deer hunt in and if you made guys still hunt it there'd be alot of bucks die of old age.

I wouldnt do it, but im not exactly excited that the government it trying to ban it. Alot of those outfits are set to cater to disabled hunters. Dont see how it much different than shooting game over bait and so forth either.

katrina said:
I vote NO.......... It's chickenshit hunting.........

I have never hunted chickenshits, guess those are native to Nebraska? :twisted: :p

biting tongue!!!!! this is a real sore subject but I will say that hunting and high fence is killing agriculture in Texas. city folks buying all the land for hunting at prices you couldn't pay and try to pay for it with agriculture then they are high fencing it and not letting anyone run cattle or anything but they still get a wildlife exemption b/c of the high fence.

Legally you can't high fence wild deer in Illinois but there are places, or so I am told, that game farm and sell the right to hunt those beasties.. that being said there is a difference between high fencing 10k acres and pen hunting on 1 acre... Big difference..

We have outfitting in this state which is just as bad as high fence as far as ruining hunting for the general public.... Now, we don't have rifle hunting (yet) and we don't allow feeding of deer since CWD became a concern but that outfitting has really caused a problem, that and folks spending 4k an acre for ground that is worh 400 an acre 10 years ago... The worst is the marginal crop ground that used to be great for pastures is not being bought up andput in habitat instead and lays empty 10 months a year.

I wouldn't get any satisfaction out of that kind of hunt, but that doesn't make it wrong. IMO

The "city" dwellers I work with don't want anything posted or fee hunting. When I ask them if I can use their riverside yard for a picnic they don't see the relationship. :???:

I think it's a property rights issue.There probably should be some sensible regulations, now theres an oxymoron for you, but the landowners should be free to raise what they want on their property and merchadise it as they see fit.

HAY MAKER said:
The only high fencing I believe in is around crops,damn deer are so thick they can ruin a crop in a few nights................good luck

Dang a deer. Planted 2 acres of black eyed peas thinking that would be plenty for me and the deer. Wrong. The deer are eating it all. Would someone like to shoot does on my place this winter.

alabama said:
HAY MAKER said:

Dang a deer. Planted 2 acres of black eyed peas thinking that would be plenty for me and the deer. Wrong. The deer are eating it all. Would someone like to shoot does on my place this winter.

You got enough rain to sprout peas???? GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

jigs said:
katrina said:
I vote NO.......... It's chickenshit hunting.........

I have never hunted chickenshits, guess those are native to Nebraska? :twisted: :p

I heard Nebraskans have to go to Kansas to find them.......... :wink:

I see absolutely no point to it. The argument about using it for disabled hunters doesn't hold water to me. You could take a disabled kid/adult out to a secluded spot and hunt without having 10, 50 or 1000 acres fenced in, and without Bambi's Dad trained to come to a rattling bucket. We've built a tower to hunt out of in our pasture, so we can sit somewhere out of the wind and weather, with a heater at our feet and watch every deer that comes by. We may see some good ones, we may not see anything, since there's nothing keeping the deer in except the risk of leaving our land and getting shot from the road. This to me, is hunting. And it could be done with a disabled person as well.

The only argument I would have ears for, is that, as a landowner, you should be able to do what you see fit on your land. However, I don't think it is right to put up a fence and trap wild deer or any other animal. Buy tame deer and bring them in? Fine, but not trapping the wild ones.

Latest posts