• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Question on JD 4630?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Not to hijack this subject but I have always been told that you can't change from a 1000 to a 540 because go at different speeds and you can damage what ever you are running. After reading some of the post I feel like I have been lied to my whole life. Please onesome say it ain't so :D

cure said:
Not to hijack this subject but I have always been told that you can't change from a 1000 to a 540 because go at different speeds and you can damage what ever you are running. After reading some of the post I feel like I have been lied to my whole life. Please onesome say it ain't so :D

Sooooo sorry little buddy.... Have a :drink: on me.....

cure said:

In theory you can't. If you do you need to throttle down if you have a 540 imp hooking to a 1000 pto tractor

You are still running the equipment at 540 but instead of the engine running 2150 RPM you run the engine at 1500 RPM so that the PTO is still at 540.

Saves a lot of wear on the tractor if you have the HP and torque to get the job done. With a bush hog, hay baler, auger or any other equipment not needing the full HP of your engine this will work very well.

As I said earlier I leave the 1000 RPM PTO on the 4020 and adapt it to 540 to run the augers as the tractor runs much slower and still has plenty of power - - -saves as much of that $4.00 diesel as I can!

George said:
You are still running the equipment at 540 but instead of the engine running 2150 RPM you run the engine at 1500 RPM so that the PTO is still at 540.

Saves a lot of wear on the tractor if you have the HP and torque to get the job done. With a bush hog, hay baler, auger or any other equipment not needing the full HP of your engine this will work very well.

As I said earlier I leave the 1000 RPM PTO on the 4020 and adapt it to 540 to run the augers as the tractor runs much slower and still has plenty of power - - -saves as much of that $4.00 diesel as I can!

This i don't understand---math indicates it oughta be 1160 rpm. And with a manual transmission, If I'm doing 50 mph @ 2000 rpm, it would seem @ 4000 rpm, I oughta be doing 100 mph---but I never am---tried it with cars, trucks, bikes---where does it go?! signed: pussled,as usual....

Latest posts