• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Questions on feeding strait alfalfa

Help Support Ranchers.net:

dakotasky

Reaction score
We are only a few weeks away from grass, but have ended up with most of our remaining hay supply to be 2nd cutting alfalfa. We have a limited supply of grass bales, and I have been feeding both bales for a few days now. I can only continue feeding grass for about 3 more days and am wondering how long it takes beef cows to transition to strait alfalfa hay without risking bloat? We have wheat straw which I can put out as well but can only mix manually or leave in bale rings, which I at least plan to do. Also, once feeding strait alfalfa should I continue to let them have access to it rather than forcing them to clean it up, therefore not letting them get too hungry and overeat. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

dakotasky said:
We are only a few weeks away from grass, but have ended up with most of our remaining hay supply to be 2nd cutting alfalfa. We have a limited supply of grass bales, and I have been feeding both bales for a few days now. I can only continue feeding grass for about 3 more days and am wondering how long it takes beef cows to transition to strait alfalfa hay without risking bloat? We have wheat straw which I can put out as well but can only mix manually or leave in bale rings, which I at least plan to do. Also, once feeding strait alfalfa should I continue to let them have access to it rather than forcing them to clean it up, therefore not letting them get too hungry and overeat. Any advice would be helpful, thanks.

I have never seen cows bloat on alfalfa hay, either on rainy or snowy days.
My only concern would be with to much milk production, overeating and scours on calves.
My advice would be to feed about 10 pounds of alfalfa a day per head and put out your straw free choice. The alfalfa will provide all the nutrients & protein they need. The straw will make them feel full and provide a surprising amount of calories to boot.

Triangle Bar said:
dakotasky said:

I have never seen cows bloat on alfalfa hay, either on rainy or snowy days.
My only concern would be with to much milk production, overeating and scours on calves.
My advice would be to feed about 10 pounds of alfalfa a day per head and put out your straw free choice. The alfalfa will provide all the nutrients & protein they need. The straw will make them feel full and provide a surprising amount of calories to boot.

:agree: Feeding straight alfalfa now will create a LOT of problems that you
do not want. Bloat being the least of them. I'd like to see grass hay mixed with it instead of straw, but if you don't have the grass hay, straw will work.
Good luck!

Thank you for your advice, I appreciate your responses and plan to feed as you suggested Faster Horses

we have never had any problems feeding straight alfalfa, first second or third cutting, we will just run it through the bale processor on the ground for the ones in the pasture and down the bunk line for the ones in the lots .

Latest posts