• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Quick question for the solar watering guys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Aaron

Reaction score
Putting in a gravity-fed wet well tomorrow. Wondering what type of pipe should be used for the intake. I bought a roll of 4" solid drain pipe, but am wondering if it will provide a good enough seal around the entrance to the well or if the possibility of it crushing it is too great.

I'm leaving 3' out of the ground and 17' in ground. Dugout will be deepened to 12 feet so 5 feet of the well will act as a settling/reservoir basin. Dugout will be roughly 60'x75'x12' holding a little over 400,000 gallons when full.

Cobbling this up myself as the solar companies are way overpriced. 24"x20' steel culvert was too much money at over $550. So going with a 15" double wall plastic.

This particular dugout dried up this year so I won't be investing in the pump/panels/batteries/motion sensor until next year.

2" black PVC is plenty. Most companies use a float valve on the end of the inlet hose down in the wet well to keep the water below frost. Just make sure you can access the end in the dugout to pull it out in case the float in the wet well ever breaks.

Latest posts