• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Quizno's:Your Checkoff $ at Work

Help Support Ranchers.net:

agman

Reaction score
CENTENNIAL, Colo. (March 10, 2006) Promotion of a new and unique Prime Rib sub sandwich is the focus of a joint effort between the Beef Checkoff Program and Quiznos Sub®. The sandwich is now available in thousands of Quiznos® outlets nationwide.

The cooperative promotion, funded partly through the $1-per-head checkoff, will include point of purchase materials such as table tents and posters, national television, Web site mentions, and blast e-mails to Quiznos list of customers. The Beef Check Logo will appear on materials that include checkoff funding.

The Quiznos Prime Rib Sub is a double portion of tender prime rib, piled high with melted mozzarella cheese and sautéed onions, and then topped with a mild peppercorn sauce. The Prime Rib Sub is the only sandwich offering from a national quick-service restaurant chain to feature prime rib.

A successful cooperative promotion between Quiznos and the Beef Checkoff Program in 2004 encouraged Quiznos and beef checkoff leaders to conduct the current promotion, according to Laurie Bryant, chairman of the Joint Foodservice Committee. That promotion, for the Steakhouse Beef Dip Sub, shattered projections for sales. As a result of its success, the company added the sandwich as a permanent menu item.

Were thrilled to be working with Quiznos again, according to Bryant, a member of the Cattlemens Beef Board. Our relationship with the Quiznos marketing team is excellent, and our track record with this company and others we have partnered with has proven the value of these types of cooperative promotions.

Bryant notes that over the past five years, for every checkoff dollar spent on these kinds of partnerships, foodservice partners have put up about $56, on average. The Beef Checkoff Program will spend $700,000 on foodservice partnerships in its 2006 fiscal year.

Tom Ryan, Chief Marketing and Concept Officer for Quiznos, says their company is extremely pleased with our partnership with the Beef Checkoff Program, and we look forward to more opportunities to jointly promote beef in the future.

In addition to the Steakhouse Beef Dip Sub, the Quiznos menu features other beef offerings, including the Black Angus Steak sandwich.

My question is why would you ruin a good prime rib by putting,cheese,onions and sauce on it?Other then that good for Quiznos

They don't allow quiznos down here.

It's against the law to open a restaurant with a name that nobody can pronounce. :lol: :lol:

We got lot's of "Bubbas" and "Mee Maws" cafes though.

I like Quizno's, but I sure wouldn't eat a prime rib sandwich with all that junk on it. :x

But then, others may like it so what the hey.

But have we ever had trouble selling prime rib? :???:

Jinglebob said:
I like Quizno's, but I sure wouldn't eat a prime rib sandwich with all that junk on it. :x

But then, others may like it so what the hey.

But have we ever had trouble selling prime rib? :???:

That's what I was thinking J-Bob. It ain't like selling ice to eskimos.

:???:

Agman, thanks for posting the good news. Too bad some people don't want to hear good news, though.

I looked Quizno's up on Google. It is based in Denver and Boulder, CO. They are celebrating their 25th Anniversary. There are 3000 stores in sixteen countries.

That information makes it look like there are quite a few people who DO like the meals at Quizno's, Reader2. Sorry you don't care for them......but then, there are lots of places to eat, so go where you are happier!

Greg, I really don't like anything but salt and pepper on good beef....but sure am in the minority on that, it seems! I have eaten a Philly Steak sandwich of mediocre beef that was improved a great deal with the onions and cheese on it, though.

Reader 2, why do you automatically assume there must be some illicit relationship between NCBA and Beef Checkoff business partnerships? Do you have any kind of information supporting that 'question'?

There really are serious audits of ALL Beef Checkoff funds and projects to assure that there are NO shenanigans. I doubt it is unreasonable to believe those who like neither the checkoff nor NCBA have searched diligently to find 'evidence' with which to 'hang' them both. Never mind the fact the Federation of State Beef Councils div, NOT the Policy/Dues payer div. is the Checkoff contracting agency, and the two are totally separate groups with separate finances and duties.

MRJ

I like the Quiznos beef sub. I am sure if you want a Prime Rib sub with out the cheese and onions you could get it. I have ordered the others with out the sauce.
I guess by readers standards Boston Markets must have friends in NCBA as well. Shame that the Checkoff and BIC can't get a little credit for a job well done.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I like the Quiznos beef sub. I am sure if you want a Prime Rib sub with out the cheese and onions you could get it. I have ordered the others with out the sauce.
I guess by readers standards Boston Markets must have friends in NCBA as well. Shame that the Checkoff and BIC can't get a little credit for a job well done.

They are getting a little credit. In fact they are getting alot of credit.

You seem to forget we are the ones supplying the funds for these ventures.

The very best sub I have ever eaten is a Quizno's Black Angus Sub. Without a doubt. Even if it's a little on the pricey side.

Darn, now y'all made me hungry and I ain't driving 50 miles to get to the closest one. :(

reader (the Second) said:
MRJ said:
Agman, thanks for posting the good news. Too bad some people don't want to hear good news, though.

I looked Quizno's up on Google. It is based in Denver and Boulder, CO. They are celebrating their 25th Anniversary. There are 3000 stores in sixteen countries.

That information makes it look like there are quite a few people who DO like the meals at Quizno's, Reader2. Sorry you don't care for them......but then, there are lots of places to eat, so go where you are happier!

Greg, I really don't like anything but salt and pepper on good beef....but sure am in the minority on that, it seems! I have eaten a Philly Steak sandwich of mediocre beef that was improved a great deal with the onions and cheese on it, though.

Reader 2, why do you automatically assume there must be some illicit relationship between NCBA and Beef Checkoff business partnerships? Do you have any kind of information supporting that 'question'?

There really are serious audits of ALL Beef Checkoff funds and projects to assure that there are NO shenanigans. I doubt it is unreasonable to believe those who like neither the checkoff nor NCBA have searched diligently to find 'evidence' with which to 'hang' them both. Never mind the fact the Federation of State Beef Councils div, NOT the Policy/Dues payer div. is the Checkoff contracting agency, and the two are totally separate groups with separate finances and duties.

MRJ

I'm a business person. Networking is the basis for business. I assume that the people who get checkoff money are among hundreds of thousands of possible recipients and that networking and connections help.

Just guessing here, but believe it's quite close to how decisions are made for such projects: The committee charged with new product promotion looks for businesses that have received some awards for their business, such as Quizmo's did from restaurant magazines. Their growth was the basis for those awards, I believe. Looks like a likely place to serve more beef. Do a promo and see how it comes out. If the homework was done well, and it usually is, the promo will be a great success. The restaurant will add the new product to the regular menu, and track the amount of additional beef they sell via this product for a period of time.....reporting back to the Beef Checkoff committee.

I just don't see a lot of leeway for "networking" to come into play in these national projects. There probably would be more of that in the various states spending their money in-state, is my guess. I can see where there might be more opportunity and desire for sweetheart deals within a state, and maybe less effective watchdogs on the process.

Another method was used with Boston Market. Going after a strong promoter of chicken menu's and convincing them to put some beef entree's on the menu was very successful. Maybe someone who knew someone brought them together, but doesn't seem real logical to me.

MRJ

Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Mike, are you forgetting that the people who direct and manage and do much of the work of the checkoff and are directors of CBB, BIC, and the Federation division of NCBA are cattle producers who pay the Beef Checkoff?

And that there are new people going on those boards every year because one may only serve two three year terms on the CBB, so there are a LOT of cattle producers who have been volunteering their time and effort to achieve these great results.

I do hope you are not being critical of them for getting that good publicity for THE BEEF CHECKOFF and ALL cattle producers.

The men and women who are active in those organizations not only contribute their checkoff dollars, but the value of their time, and the actual money it costs above the basic expenses they MAY get in some cases. And I'm not being critical, but am pointing out something few cattle producers seem to realize.

MRJ

Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Mike, do you now which packers if any contribute to the Checkoff?

agman said:
Mike said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Agman, what does that matter? Packers should always contribute to the marketing of their product. Are you saying that beef producers should pay for all of packer's advertising?

Econ101 said:
agman said:
Mike said:

Agman, what does that matter? Packers should always contribute to the marketing of their product. Are you saying that beef producers should pay for all of packer's advertising?
Where is Quiznos advertizing anything but BEEF and that is what we, the producers, produce. The packers are JUST MIDDLE MEN. Someone between the orginial source the Producer and the customer the person that eats it. If we don't advertize our product the packers will have no need to buy our cattle. :roll:

Tam said:
Econ101 said:
agman said:

Where is Quiznos advertizing anything but BEEF and that is what we, the producers, produce. The packers are JUST MIDDLE MEN. Someone between the orginial source the Producer and the customer the person that eats it. If we don't advertize our product the packers will have no need to buy our cattle. :roll:

Tam, the bse "salmon run" showed that profits are not necessarily handed down to producers. Don't you ever learn a thing? The checkoff funds would have been much better spent getting the USDA to allow testing for shipments to Japan than sandwiches at quiznos. There needs to be an analysis to see just how much the money spent returns on investment. Absent that, you are just throwing good will money at the wind.

Econ101 said:
Tam said:
Econ101 said:

Tam, the bse "salmon run" showed that profits are not necessarily handed down to producers. Don't you ever learn a thing? The checkoff funds would have been much better spent getting the USDA to allow testing for shipments to Japan than sandwiches at quiznos. There needs to be an analysis to see just how much the money spent returns on investment. Absent that, you are just throwing good will money at the wind.
Isn' the checkoff funds suppose to be used for promoting beef as in advertizing new products not for lobbying the Government to do things like testing?

Econ101 said:
agman said:
Mike said:

Evidently you don't know the real answer, as usual, to my question addressed to Mike. Where did I ever say beef producers should pay for all of packer's advertising? Is that another phony assumption on your part? Your constant stream of false assumptions and irrelevant questions continue-par for you.

Mike said:
I thought that everyone who has possession of cattle had to pay at sale time.

Mike- you have to own the cattle over 10 days to be required to pay the checkoff-- lets off trader buyers and packing plants....

Oldtimer said:
Mike said:
I thought that everyone who has possession of cattle had to pay at sale time.

Mike- you have to own the cattle over 10 days to be required to pay the checkoff-- lets off trader buyers and packing plants....

OT, you forgot to include sale barns in that litany of those who do not pay checkoff. Basically, traders, buying and selling while normally only owning the cattle for a short time before passing them on to longer term owners are excluded from paying into the checkoff.

However, there are packers who also donate money to checkoff projects they believe to be of value to the entire industry. Work to eradicate e Coli is one that comes to mind.

MRJ

Latest posts